PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed with velvet antlers

BigfishCanada
09-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Guys, my Nephew got a nice 3 point, we have stripped the skull clean and it looks great, my question is what can we do to preserve the velvet, We just want to make it so he can hang it on his bedroom wall?

Will it dry as is, or do we need to do something with the horns?

Please any suggestions would be great!

Story will come soon with pics

Model 70
09-05-2011, 06:53 PM
alum solution re the taxidermist. don't know exactly but try google

BigfishCanada
09-05-2011, 06:57 PM
I was told freeze dry, any local place near coquitlam that can freeze dry?

Brian011
09-05-2011, 07:15 PM
I brought my buck into the taxidermist to get a euro mount done today and he said to just let it dry, or put it in the freezer, he's going to boil it eventually but it should be dried out to get it to set, and just be careful with it.
Don't inject anything into the velvet at this point becaus Ernst will just cause the velvet to blister since it's close to coming off now.

wos
09-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Ther was a thred about fake velvet your taxidermest can do. It looked as good or better than the real thing. Thats the way I would go.

BigfishCanada
09-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Its just a small buck, sentimental for my nephew 1st buck ever. WHats the most cost effective easy way so he can hang on his wall?

No suggestions?

krazy
09-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Hey Chris if you just leave them they will rot. You could put them in the freezer but I think it takes months before that will prevent rotting and even then I think they will still be very fragile (thinking about a young boy handling them to show off to his buds etc.). Only other option is to take them to a taxi for chemical treatment (or buy the chemical from one and do it your self). If it was me I would take a bunch of pictures with him and the antlers in velvet and then strip it off and euro it up for the wall.

derek p
09-05-2011, 08:52 PM
The easiest option for preserving the velvet would be to freeze them. THis can take up to a year but the finished product is perfect. I have two QCI deer in velvet that I froze for 12 -14 months, one is now hanging outside on shed, no worries about smell, bugs, or wearing, the other was mounted and this was the procedure that the taxidermist recommended. It takes some time and it can be frusterating looking at them every time you get ice cream but it is worth it. So my two cents, if it fits in the freezer, put them in.

krazy
09-05-2011, 08:56 PM
The easiest option for preserving the velvet would be to freeze them. THis can take up to a year but the finished product is perfect. I have two QCI deer in velvet that I froze for 12 -14 months, one is now hanging outside on shed, no worries about smell, bugs, or wearing, the other was mounted and this was the procedure that the taxidermist recommended. It takes some time and it can be frusterating looking at them every time you get ice cream but it is worth it. So my two cents, if it fits in the freezer, put them in.

WOW I knew it took a while but never thought that long! Good to know ... thanks!

Slee
09-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Knobloch's Stop Slip
Will permanently set hair that is loose or starting to slip. Will NOT work on hair that is already completely loose. Also works well for setting the velvet on antlers. Spray from a pump sprayer or sponge it on. Do not work with the skin for at least one hour. If applying to a mounted head, leave the solution on for 24 hours before grooming.

http://www.taxidermy.com/cat/15/hairslip.html

BigfishCanada
09-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks, the freezing thing sounds good

Steeleco
09-05-2011, 10:13 PM
My daughter got a 3x2 buck last year, I put it in my dehydrator with few large towels over the base, took about 5 days to dry hard as a rock,it's still in place. It's not so nice looking as the whole think shrank for obvious reasons, but it's her's and that's all she cares about.

blacktailghost
09-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Be very careful to not get water on dried velvet etc. it will rehydrate or could attract bugs. The only two ways i would trust is injecting with formaldehyde in all viens and every square inch or brushing them with turpentine.Turpentine does a very good job and is way nicer to work with than formaldehyde

Mountain Man
09-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Rubbing alcohol.