PDA

View Full Version : Too Hot for Elk??

Rhyno
09-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Hey, I am contemplating postponing my Peace elk hunt. My time is limited to 1 week, have a 3 year old and 7 week old baby, so I don't wanna push my luck with my wife:) I was planning on going Sunday (11th) but wonder about going later in the week due to the hot weather, maybe Wednesday or Thursday? Any insight? THANKS!

ryanhuntslots
09-05-2011, 04:41 PM
I just got back from Hudsons Hope area, it was dusty and hot for sure, hunted water and bedding areas, saw 4 bulls total, 2 were gone by the time I hiked to them, 1 was faster than seabiscuit and the other didnt like the sound of my buddies 45/70 snapping on the saftey that he for some reason hasnt disabled yet, I'm sure he will now. the wolves were in there thick aswell, that also kept the elk and everything else out of the open areas. and didnt hear a single call, nor did I get any to call back to me????

Deaddog
09-05-2011, 04:43 PM
put it off for another week

OutWest
09-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Are you not wanting to go because it's too hot for you or do you think it will slow Elk activity down? We've had many of our best and most successful days when it's smoking hot out. Doesn't slow the Elk down around here. I'd say go. I haven't checked the weather for up there but I'd imagine a week won't mean much in terms of how much it cools down.

Rhyno
09-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Are you not wanting to go because it's too hot for you or do you think it will slow Elk activity down? We've had many of our best and most successful days when it's smoking hot out. Doesn't slow the Elk down around here. I'd say go. I haven't checked the weather for up there but I'd imagine a week won't mean much in terms of how much it cools down.

I am pretty new to elk hunting, just my 3rd season. I am worried about its effect on elk activity, particularly the onset of the rut, calling etc. Suppose to go from high/ lows of 27/11 to 19/10 vs waiting for temps of 15/5. Great to hear you have had success in the heat. I am pretty keen to go and would hate to wait!

elkdom
09-05-2011, 08:44 PM
I called in a 4x3 bull elk and two cows(60 yards) with him last night,( 7-20a) the 4x3 Bull started the action with a series of barks,grunts and finally serious bugling, temp at 7 pm when the elk were calling last night was 6 Celsius,,

I passed him up, there are some bigger bulls lurking the area,,,

elkdom
09-05-2011, 08:48 PM
I called in a 4x3 bull elk and two cows(60 yards) with him last night,( 7-20a) the 4x3 Bull started the action with a series of barks,grunts and finally serious bugling, temp at 7 pm when the elk were calling last night was 6 Celsius,,

I passed him up, there are some bigger bulls lurking the area,,,

what the hell, I will tell EVERYONE exactly!, where this was,,,,

It was about 300 meters from where I shot the 6X7 Bull in my Avatar a few years ago,,,,,,:mrgreen:

.300WSMImpact!
09-06-2011, 03:49 PM
doesnt look great for the first week thats for sure, but I dont know if I would cancel the hunt

Mikey Rafiki
09-06-2011, 03:59 PM
It's nice and cool in the mornings here. Highs of 28, lows of 0.

Get out there good and early to beat the heat. Stay closer to road or hunt the cool creek bottoms in the afternoon/evening as meat can spoil quicky in this weather.

elkdom
09-06-2011, 04:02 PM
midday, work the thick dark,cool, wet timber during daytime hours, look for wallows and headwaters of springs and creeks,

work the meadows, and regrowth log clearings near water and cooler North side of the hills early mornings and evenings,,,

sawmill
09-06-2011, 04:02 PM
It`s gonna be in the low 30`s here for a couple weeks looks like.I`m lucky I live here but it is still gonna be a fast haul out if I get one.Early and late in the day I`m thinking they will be moving,and near the river.

7mag700
09-07-2011, 08:36 AM
I heard they were bugling and on the move pretty good up around Fort Nelson a week ago, but this past weekend with the warmer weather they had clammed up a bit and were keeping to the trees.

7m7

Rhyno
09-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I am going as planned, too much work to change plans! Oh well, the weather looks like it is going to cool off a little...hope to have some picts to post soon!

Ghillie
09-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Heres my experiences with my elk hunting this year so far (Dawson Creek area). Its going to be the quick and dirty on this 24hour trip.
Stayed overnight at our camp. We saw a 6x6 run infront of us while we were quading to our camp. Couldnt call it out after it ran like a bullet into the thick.
Woke up at 5 am to make breakfast and a fire, just as its getting light out, I hear a bull chuckle / grunt and cow calls. We start walking then we stop for a break around 9 am. We make a couple calls and we can hear something in the bushes. A bull chuckles and grunts.. It does this about 4 times within a half an hour and we never saw it or heard it again. Tons of sign. Very windy up here. Lots of wolf sign. Come in a week :D

Glassman
09-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Oh man I hope it cools down some. I am heading up to the Goodlow area on the 11th. My buddy says it was 30c yesterday. Might to have to put Elk in cooler in Dawson if it does not cool down at night. (if I get one)

proguide66
09-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Not sure if this means much er not BUT , each sept 1 to 10 hunt up north ( Toad area) we can usually call em in right off the bat! the plane would come in on sept 4 to 6 ish and tell us that the elk have " shut up" in all the camps. Weather wouldnt be a factor either , weird,moon maybe??. But consistant each sept. nothing you could do about it either although you know they were right in front of you listening.
I would usually hunt moose or bears hard the first 5 days of the sept 1 to 10th as I knew the elk would be going nuts from the 7th on...9 times outta 10 I would nail a biggy on the 9th er 10th...3rd week of bugling would be nuts!

Old Crow
09-10-2011, 10:52 AM
My experiance in the Peace has always been after the 15th of Sept with the peak around the 22nd

Bobfl
09-10-2011, 06:30 PM
they have to come down to drink or is it cum down

300H&H
09-11-2011, 07:54 AM
We postponed our trip to the WK until our draw in Oct.
Just to hot.

pappy
09-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Went out this morning and the only thing bugling was me, I seen tracks but that was about it. 13 degrees cel at 10:45 and its 20 degrees right now. I'm going back out to see what I can run into, maybe a grouse. I'm not expecting much as the bush is dry and crunchy when the weather is like this, nice dew in the mornings for hiking thou.

Wrayzer
09-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Had a bull and 7 cows grazing out in the open today in the morning...yup too hot, stay at home everyone.

big game chaser
09-11-2011, 07:54 PM
I was just in hdson hope for ten days found early mornings get on them before daylight hrs and push the high hills with the thickest darkest timber during the days but thge elk were in full rut buling to beat hell at night called in a few bulls !

KB90
09-11-2011, 10:33 PM
It's cooling off, should be frosty tomorrow morning!

Called one in tonight, put your ears close to the speakers and you can hear him respond to my bugle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8skaqgllso

moose2
09-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I was just in hdson hope for ten days found early mornings get on them before daylight hrs and push the high hills with the thickest darkest timber during the days but thge elk were in full rut buling to beat hell at night called in a few bulls !

how did you make out were you able to get one if so were you able to post the story and pictures.
Mike

CanuckShooter
09-12-2011, 05:00 AM
We're in 7-21 now, been in camp since the 29th and have yet to hear an elk bugle!! Real cold here this morning. Hoping they start up soon!

Moose72
09-12-2011, 05:14 AM
Think anything will be happening around chetwyn around the 20th??

KodiakHntr
09-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Called in three saturday night up here, action was pretty quick and furious, even with it being warm.

elkdom
09-12-2011, 10:14 AM
minus -6 Celsius here in 7-20 this morning at 6;30 am,,, elevation 780 Meters,

elk were yelling their heads off,,,so were some wolves,,,

KodiakHntr
09-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Yep, just about perfect for cooling elk meat under a silva-cool tarp........(grin)

pappy
09-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Went looking for elk and deer in 7-33 and found a spike fork bull moose in the evening yesterday. I just dropped him off at the butcher, good temps at night but afternoon temps are still a little warm for hanging meat without good shade. It was around 18 degrees this afternoon. Butcher said its been not to busy for him as alot of guys aren't really hunting due to the temps. I think I'll try looking for an elk this upcoming weekend.

eastkoot
09-12-2011, 06:23 PM
It's hot but had 3 bulls going today, early. They lasted till 9:30 then all is done. Did see one rather large 5 spike. The others are still there and have cows, I assume, as the 5 didn't. Back in the morning if I feel like geting out of bed @ 5:45 ( retired ya know)..Only thing its getting him out by myself before midnight so he can cool..Not really looking forward to any of that..

big game chaser
09-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Had few chances just wasnt quick enough ! called
in a couple 5 points and then when i had my best chance at daybreak after getting up at 2 am and getting on acouple bulls some nice guys decided to park right beside us walk right in to where we were just as we had a bull coming at day light and spooked him that was our last day!

mark
09-23-2011, 10:06 PM
30 dam degrees in the okanagan again today.....wouldnt want to deal with an elk in this heat anyways!

Elkaholic2010
09-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Hunt the darkest timber you can find right now. The elk are carrying on with life as usual despite the warmer temps. It bothers us more than them. Passed up the second 320-330 class bull of the season today. Good luck!

Phreddy
09-24-2011, 10:51 AM
I was out scouting a new honey hole that I finally got permission to hunt yesterday and it was so damned hot and dry out there I was afraid to fart in case it started a fire. Think I'll wait a while.