PDA

View Full Version : Held out for a big one...still holding out

Big Lew
09-05-2011, 09:36 AM
I went out to 2 areas I knew held good numbers of mulie bucks, including some large ones, but only saw 1 big 4-point (200 yds and running). This year, I was hunting/holidaying with my Wife, who is unable to hike into the steep areas away from the roads, so we mainly hunted logging slashes close to road access. Saw many spikes, forked or 2 points, which offered reasonable shots, and 3, smallish 3- points offering the same. It was tempting to shoot some of them, but as I had previously set a personal guideline, so far, I still have my tag. In the first area, there were 'indigenous' persons rifle hunting well before September 1st, which made the deer spooky. In the second area, there were several 'youth rifle hunters' which made it a bit difficult to get close with a bow, but when hunting close to roads, it's to be expected. We met a youth/Grandfather combo in this second area that had been very successful, the young fellow had shot a 4-point. The huge smiles and excitement on both of them, even an hour later, was what it's all about. Unfortunately, we also saw many persons over 19 that were racing around on quads with rifles, but no bows.

Bow Walker
09-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Suggestion; get an extra tag and fill it with a nice one for the freezer. It makes waiting for that big booger that much easier. ;)

Big Lew
09-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Suggestion; get an extra tag and fill it with a nice one for the freezer. It makes waiting for that big booger that much easier. ;)
There's just the 2 of us old birds still trying to finish off what's still in the freezer, so I'm not worried if I don't get something this year

Bow Walker
09-06-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm down to my last piece of boneless loin roast. Can't decide whether to cook it whole, cut it into steaks, or butterfly - stuff - and roll it...........

Either way it'll be the last for a little bit.

Big Lew
09-06-2011, 12:15 PM
"Either way it'll be the last for a little bit"

I know it's 'off topic', but as I've been away, how's things going? Feeling stronger?

Bowzone_Mikey
09-06-2011, 01:01 PM
on sunday I put a stalk on a wall hanger .... but got busted twice by does that I didnt see ...

actually Sunday was the best day I have had hunting in a long time without actually sealing the deal.

I went out to the same area that I got a moose last year ....turned up a spur road that I knew had some trees fallen across it .. I was gonna park at the trees and hike into cut that I know is in there ..... As I pull up to the trees (I am probally about 130 yards from the trees at this point I see something on just on the other side .... Kind of a golden/red color (almost the same color as my dog) and then it starts to walk away ... I then see its tail ... and what a long tail it had ... Holy crap thats a Cougar!!!! (and not the fun kind either)... took me surprise as I have only ever seen 1 other cougar in the wild before and that was a ways off (I never hunt them) ..I watch it for a few seconds ... and then another walks out ... and the second one was huge!!!! aprox 1.5 x the size of the first .... well that made my day .... but I backed out of the area as quick as I could .... since they dont open untill the 10 and I dont have a tag anyway (once again) ..... went to another area I know in that zone ... saw a couple of deer .... but there are skittery (I would be too with a couple cats near by) ...... seen a sweet Moose that was way too big to take (I am hunting Unicorn moose) ...watched him for a while ...... went to another area and stalked that mulie buck ... got busted ... tried again ... no joy on that ....

Other than actually sealing the deal I have a had a great bowseason

Big Lew
09-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Same with me, "Bowzone_Mikey", both this year and last, held out for a big one but couldn't get a good, clean shot, but sure saw a lot of animals meanwhile. This year I drew on a very wide and tall-tined 3-point at 43 yards and waited for the longest time I've ever held 'full draw' while the deer kept stepping, feeding, stepping, slightly turning, etc. toward me until it was less than 20 yards, and then it turned sideways and my hand was so numb, I couldn't pull the trigger and had to let down. That was pretty intense and what it's all about. It was as if Mother Nature was playing with me, and only let the deer show it's side when she knew I couldn't shoot. I'd love to have another chance like that, for sure!

Bow Walker
09-07-2011, 09:35 AM
"Either way it'll be the last for a little bit"

I know it's 'off topic', but as I've been away, how's things going? Feeling stronger?

Yeah, feeling a lot better, thanks for asking. Got 2 stents installed and they did some "aggressive stretching" to some of the other arteries. Felt like someone had pounded on my chest with a baseball bat for a week or so. All good now, though. Time to rebuild my stamina. Slow but sure (I'm told).