PDA

View Full Version : Camo Patterns

Mike26
09-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Any thoughts on the best camo pattern for Vancouver island?

Shooter
09-04-2011, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't put too much thought into pattern if I were you. Its true most hunting gear is camo pattern but put more thought into fit form and function of the garment and whatever pattern it is won't matter too much. You will almost certainly be busted through scent or movement regardless of any pattern you wear if you aren't careful. And even if you are. It doesn't matter what pattern you are wearing if you are moving when you shouldn't be of if you are up wind of your target.

Gun Dog
09-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Like fishing lures, different camo patterns are to attract you to the cash register. Any pattern that breaks up you body outline is good. Movement and scent is what gets an animal's attention. I still use army surplus Woodland camo. Great for everything except snow.

Mike26
09-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Good point guys, thank you any further thoughts on no scent laundry detergent and body washes? are filed sprays a good thing to take too?

BearStump
09-05-2011, 12:20 PM
tan carhart pants and a stansfield wool shirt.

Singleshotneeded
09-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Function beats pattern in hunting clothes. If you can find good hunting gear in 3D Konifer, Cabelas has a good selection,
then that's great! Most hunting stores in BC are still bringing in Mossy Oak camo clothing, which makes me wonder if they're
stupid or just don't care? How many mossy oaks do you see in BC? Back east, sure, but here we have pines! Why don't they
order their hunting clothing in 3D Konifer camo pattern to match what we have growing in BC...DUH? Wake up! As far as
laundry detergent goes, definitely use them as they don't have scent added to them, and no UV brighteners that deer can see.
We also don't have lemon trees here in BC, no lemon fresh Tide! Scent control products barely work, it's been proven in tests.
Use a no-scent soap to shower with like Ivory, and if you buy a spray, buy a cover up scent like "earth" or "pine" to temporarily
cover up your human smell, and spray it everywhere! A much better plan is to hunt into the wind or the critters will catch your scent.

Gun Dog
09-05-2011, 05:34 PM
I use unscented Tide for my clothes and unscented deordorant for me. I have no idea if it makes any difference.

longstonec
09-05-2011, 06:11 PM
tan carhart pants and a stansfield wool shirt.

Greyish wool pants and stanfeild.
I read somehting somewhere about most commerical laundry detergents contains something that will make clothing almost "glow" to ungulates eyes.
http://www.texashuntworks.com/index.php/Articles/Featured-Articles/How-Deer-See-You.html

Ah this about sums it up.

brian
09-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Apparently it is UV brighteners. The deer can see into the UV spectrum so UV brighteners apparently look like colours glowing under a black light to us. I don't know if it is true, but it shouldn't be that hard to find a detergent that doesn't have them.

spear
09-05-2011, 09:20 PM
West Coast Tuxedo / helly hanson rain gear??

IslandBowGuy78
02-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Hi all - this is an older discussion on camo patterns. Any new thoughts since the last post in 2011? I'm thinking that most camo patterns don't come near the green that we have year round on the Island.

604ksmith
02-12-2017, 09:37 PM
Whatever is on sale between Kuiu, FirstLite, and Stika.

scotty30-06
02-12-2017, 09:48 PM
One thing that I have noticed is depending on hunting style I will dress differently....all the same kinda camo...Woodland ghilli suit works amazing in our rainforests
..but you wants pants that don't catch the low brush but don't much noise either

Keta1969
02-12-2017, 10:47 PM
I really don't think it matters, wear what fits your budget and is comfortable. Move slow, stay on the right side of the wind, and move quiet. Doesn't matter what you're wearing. Most blacktails will slink away at the crack of a branch or movement they don't recognize. If they scent you you're toast.Better chances during the rut but don't think they care what you are wearing and have never felt that my choice of clothes has made a difference other than noise.

Bonz
02-13-2017, 08:42 AM
jeans and t-shirt camo for me anywhere. more aboiut that scent, i use plain borax for laundry soap and no smells.
and yes most laundry soap uses UV in them to keep whites white and colours bright..lol

Walksalot
02-13-2017, 08:48 AM
The outdoor clothing industry has a motto"it is a sin to let a sucker keep their money". Throw a camo pattern on a piece of outdoor clothing and quadruple the price.

Wild one
02-13-2017, 09:06 AM
If you are hunting close range I would say camo is worth while. As a bowhunter I think colour is not a huge deal just something simular works fine. In my opinion it is about breaking up your outline more than anything. Stick to the shadows and stay close to cover to help break up your outline is more important than colour

if your back drop is too far behind you or in direct sun with now shadows helping break up your outline camo or not deer often pick you out. They may not know what you are but they seem to notice something is not right

The camo debate brings out a lot of different opinions but this is mine

chele
02-13-2017, 09:35 AM
I just own one camo rain jacket. I bought it at Canadian tire for $80. The rest of my clothes it is not camo. I bought two pair of wool pants, a wool toque and 3 different types of wool sweaters from value village. Stanfield underwear from the bay (30% off). All that under $200. I never felt cold while hunting. I am planning to make some gaiters from the hide of the deer I got so I don't have to use the goretex gaiters while I'm hunting. I always carry my goretex pants and jacket in my backpack in case it rains, but I don't like to wear goretex since it is too noisy when you walk.

Regarding the smell of your clothes. I used the non-scent detergent and I put the clothes in a large zippered plastic bag (the ones you get when you buy a pillow) I put deer poop inside the bag and close it until I go out hunting.

SSG-man
02-13-2017, 09:54 AM
Something that looks like a gate or private property sign.

dracb
02-13-2017, 11:00 AM
jeans and t-shirt camo for me anywhere. more aboiut that scent, i use plain borax for laundry soap and no smells.
and yes most laundry soap uses UV in them to keep whites white and colours bright..lol

Bonz research demonstrates the worst color you can wear is blue. Deer eyes lack the ultraviolet light filter that human and other longer-lived animals have, which means they see blues and other short-wavelength colors about twenty times better than we do. Blue jeans are much more vivid to a deer than blaze orange

Bonz
02-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Bonz research demonstrates the worst color you can wear is blue. Deer eyes lack the ultraviolet light filter that human and other longer-lived animals have, which means they see blues and other short-wavelength colors about twenty times better than we do. Blue jeans are much more vivid to a deer than blaze orange

im ok with what research says, its how we all hunted for years before fancy camo. , and i smoke. still doesnt seem to bother them lol

MichelD
02-13-2017, 06:41 PM
Good point guys, thank you any further thoughts on no scent laundry detergent and body washes? are filed sprays a good thing to take too?

No point. Stupid marketing gimmick.

We fart, we sweat, we defecate, we urinate, we sit around campfires, smoke, breathe and burp, drive vehicles and pack all those scents around with us.

That's why we hunt INTO the wind.

And that's also why we get busted when the wind turns.

RiverOtter
02-13-2017, 07:18 PM
While camo does nothing for scent control and movement, I do believe it does have some merit. I prefer a larger blockier pattern as opposed to the fine detail camo that looks loke a solid color from 20 feet away.

Sambor
02-13-2017, 11:26 PM
ASAT camo should be the most universal camo there is. https://www.asatcamo.com/

(https://www.asatcamo.com/)

Hunter gatherer
02-14-2017, 03:50 AM
Truck seat cover camouflage works well for lots of hunters

Sambor
02-14-2017, 08:45 AM
Whatever camo you decide, please consider not buying UnderArmor. They are antihunting:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/09/08/armour-anti-hunting/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/08/john-boch/armour-dumps-hunters-hunters-returning-favor/

I like their gear - great quality, but will not buy their stuff anymore. I have their hoodies, t-shirts, etc., that I am not going to burn - I paid for them big bucks, but no UA for me anymore. Unless they change their mind.

I know this might be an old news, but I just found out about it yesterday browsing internet.

AgSilver
02-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Whatever camo you decide, please consider not buying UnderArmor. They are antihunting:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/09/08/armour-anti-hunting/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/08/john-boch/armour-dumps-hunters-hunters-returning-favor/

I like their gear - great quality, but will not buy their stuff anymore. I have their hoodies, t-shirts, etc., that I am not going to burn - I paid for them big bucks, but no UA for me anymore. Unless they change their mind.

I know this might be an old news, but I just found out about it yesterday browsing internet.

They aren't anti-hunting. It seems to me that they made a corporate decision that one of their sponsored athletes related to someone who harvested a bear legally (although "ethically" remains in question) but in a manner that raised significant questions as to methodology was not someone they wanted to be associated with. There are two big parts of this:

1. A corporation is a money making endeavour. They are not obligated to take "a stand for all hunters" or the like (especially on an issue that generated so much controversy) if it's going to hurt their bottom line. They have the option as to who they sponsor and, just because something was legal, it doesn't mean that they have to agree with it. We see that in many industries when a company sponsors an athlete, a celebrity, etc and then the relevant person spouts off on something that hurts the company's reputation and dumps the person as a result.

2. There's a lot of talk about whether it was an ethical hunt and some of the questions raised surround the fact that if Mr. Bowmar was so shocked at his success. Additionally, his elation was considered to be in bad taste by some. Those are factors that UA has to consider when putting their brand out there to be embraced.

I'm not commenting personally on my views in relation to the above (I found the video distasteful and found the fact that he seemed so uncertain that it would go well to be of concern...but it was legal so I won't hang him for it), but UA has obligations beyond to the hunting community...particularly fringe hunters that could put their brand into disrepute.

Shareholders and boards have very strong feelings about that type of thing.

todbartell
02-14-2017, 11:27 AM
UA is certainly NOT anti hunting.

Barracuda
02-14-2017, 12:03 PM
whatever beer stained BBQ covered clothing you happen to roll out of your cot wearing seems like the camo of the day on some of my hunting trips lol.

Sambor
02-14-2017, 10:25 PM
AgSilver and todbartell thanks for your responses and AgSilver, i particularly thank you for your response. The points you made are legit and I agree with all of them. I admit I was trolling a bit, but wanted to bring awareness to hunters being diligent when they "vote" with their dollars. I am still going to buy UA when i need something, as I like to buy quality gear and i don't buy hunting clothing only, but i will monitor UA more closely starting now. I know company's history and it is positive one, but everything changes.

There are companies that i dissagree with their policies, so i simply don't buy their products.

AgSilver, I agree that company has a right to drop whoever represents them. We had a case like that with Spook Span???, who shot big deer our of season (don't remember details). He lost some sponsors and if I was sponsoring him, i would also drop him.

AgSilver, one more comment, any company has obligations toward their shareholders, but also toward their buyers (which might not be that obvious). This is how it is harder (not impossible) to find these days companies that are not socially or environmentally concious (at least on the paper). Why has this happend? Because pressure from buyers.

Good topic and i just hope my poor attempt has brought some light on the issue of buying stuff from companies that support hunting. 10-10.

Bonz
02-15-2017, 05:39 AM
not getting to much int that UA outdoor thing. but their sticks dropped out almost to the date of the boorman issue with alot of hunters dropping them, and hasnt recovered yet. it did effect their bottom line

AgSilver
02-15-2017, 12:40 PM
AgSilver and todbartell thanks for your responses and AgSilver, i particularly thank you for your response. The points you made are legit and I agree with all of them. I admit I was trolling a bit, but wanted to bring awareness to hunters being diligent when they "vote" with their dollars. I am still going to buy UA when i need something, as I like to buy quality gear and i don't buy hunting clothing only, but i will monitor UA more closely starting now. I know company's history and it is positive one, but everything changes.

There are companies that i dissagree with their policies, so i simply don't buy their products.

AgSilver, I agree that company has a right to drop whoever represents them. We had a case like that with Spook Span???, who shot big deer our of season (don't remember details). He lost some sponsors and if I was sponsoring him, i would also drop him.

AgSilver, one more comment, any company has obligations toward their shareholders, but also toward their buyers (which might not be that obvious). This is how it is harder (not impossible) to find these days companies that are not socially or environmentally concious (at least on the paper). Why has this happend? Because pressure from buyers.

Good topic and i just hope my poor attempt has brought some light on the issue of buying stuff from companies that support hunting. 10-10.

Good point re the obligation to the buyers, and that's where things get confusing for a company. They've got a lot to deal with in terms of competing interests. And, man, that guy seems to like getting himself into hot water.

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/319621-under-armour-ceo-walks-back-support-of-trump-in-full-page

Anyhow, I don't think that it would be fair to call a company who sponsors hunters, makes a TON of hunting gear, but may have to occasionally make decisions about who/what they support.

Sambor
02-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Good point re the obligation to the buyers, and that's where things get confusing for a company. They've got a lot to deal with in terms of competing interests. And, man, that guy seems to like getting himself into hot water.

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/319621-under-armour-ceo-walks-back-support-of-trump-in-full-page

Anyhow, I don't think that it would be fair to call a company who sponsors hunters, makes a TON of hunting gear, but may have to occasionally make decisions about who/what they support.

AgSilver, I think this whole case with spear hunting was not that well dealt with. I am not talking about the company only, but every organization who was involved with. I researched the topic and the guy who speared the bear was a semi professional javelin thrower, bear expired really fast, shot was dead on and everything was according to the law. Additionally, spear was not home made, but it was i believe made by Cold Steel.

I don't think I was completely unfair. There are situations in life where companies/organizations/etc. do good one one side and bad things on the other (too many too list here). I just would like for hunters to be more united and speak in one voice in similar way to antihunters who cry about everything.

Mike26, sorry for a partial redirection from your question. I owe you a beer.

Sambor
02-15-2017, 04:09 PM
whatever beer stained BBQ covered clothing you happen to roll out of your cot wearing seems like the camo of the day on some of my hunting trips lol.

That sound more like a bear attractant then a camo, but should work well :)

Mike, I am a big fan of ASAT camo. I have done a lot of research online and out in the field, including taking pictures and later processing them (eliminating some colors, increasing intensity, etc.) From what I have seen, ASAT type camos work the best in my opinion. I can't speak about VI or BC, but i have tested ASAT in forest type environment (Northern Sask), mixed bush and pasture (Southern Sask) and semi arid pastures (close to US border). It worked for me.

You might find this videos interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyQB65ig5PQ

I also have sort of ghullie suit (home made) for coyotes.

Sambor
02-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Another vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFJKFVCm0ns

and one more suggestion. on my Iphone i got a few free apps where you can apply different filters to see how different animals see. I don't remember names of those apps, but when I played with them, it was neat to hand my clothing somewhere in the bush and walk away 50 or 100 yards and use that app to see if i can see my jacket or pants.

todbartell
02-15-2017, 05:07 PM
ASAT is ugly as shit but it IS effective

AgSilver
02-15-2017, 05:54 PM
I'd love to see those videos...same person placement with other camos and with no camo...to really see how different/better any of them are.

Barracuda
02-15-2017, 07:36 PM
it goes to show that movement is the single biggest giveaway. ghillie suits work well it your stationary but even they will give your position away if you move

35rem
02-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Best way to stay inconspicuous on VI are yoga pants and a tie-dye shirt. Those urban deer will not see you coming..

charlie_horse
02-18-2017, 07:21 PM
Why does ASAT have to be so ugly. I can't hunt unless I'm looking good. Too self concious, thank god my new Kenworth hat stitching matches my first lite pants.

GetLethal
02-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Whatever is on sale between Kuiu, FirstLite, and Stika.
sounds about right