PDA

View Full Version : Law against taking an animal by bow near town?

anethema
09-04-2011, 01:56 PM
We were recently near some houses but on crown land. It was fairly need Penticton and there were some sheep there. I put the rifle away obviously but we had a bow with us. No real big rams so we left them regardless but I wonder what the rules are for taking a sheep near town. Not in the suburbs obviously but there were acreages near by. Not sure if it was within city limits but I doubt it.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6067/6113406181_bcd3997968_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6182/6113403695_c7a641d6a4_b.jpg

Ourea
09-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Looks like Carmi to me and it is definitely within city limits. Best check the municipal map, think you will find you have couple Km to go to get into legal hunting grounds. (above Lost Moose Lodge).
And congrats on pulling the LEH sheep tag.

500grhollowpoint
09-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Good question. Legally you can shoot a bow in town, we have an orchard we hunt in in the fall with permission, but you got to think what would happen if it ran wounded, and if anyone can see you, because legal or not that would be bad. Clearly you can't do it downtown but what are the rules? What do the regs say?

Ourea
09-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Good question. Legally you can shoot a bow in town, we have an orchard we hunt in in the fall with permission, but you got to think what would happen if it ran wounded, and if anyone can see you, because legal or not that would be bad. Clearly you can't do it downtown but what are the rules? What do the regs say?

YOU CANNOT HUNT,TRAP OR HARRASS WILDLIFE within city limits without a municipal permit, Regardless if its private land or not!

barry1974w
09-04-2011, 02:44 PM
YOU CANNOT HUNT,TRAP OR HARRASS WILDLIFE within city limits without a municipal permit, Regardless if its private land or not!

You sure???

tundra
09-04-2011, 02:48 PM
you would have to check with the local bylaw for the particular city. If there is no bylaw then you are legal to discharge a bow and even a rifle as long as you follow the 100 meter restriction for firearms from any school, dwelling, and or barn with livestock in it.

Ourea
09-04-2011, 02:53 PM
you would have to check with the local bylaw for the particular city. If there is no bylaw then you are legal to discharge a bow and even a rifle as long as you follow the 100 meter restriction for firearms from any school, dwelling, and or barn with livestock in it.

tundra is correct that it is a municipal bylaw in regards to hunting within city limits ...... most municipalities do impose the "no hunting" bylaw..... some don't.

My comments were specific to this thread as it was about Penticton.

TheProvider
09-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Each town is different, check out the municipal bylaws first. Some allow it while other don't

Allen50
09-04-2011, 06:32 PM
all you have to do is check your regs, and the munie bylaws, and take it from there, thats what prescouting is about,,,do it your self and you will know the real answer,, to your question,, good luck,,,,

bear buster
09-04-2011, 08:04 PM
gota love living up north...5 min in any derection and we can hunt.

500grhollowpoint
09-04-2011, 09:01 PM

Lol WTF are you talking about?

Gun Dog
09-04-2011, 10:15 PM
tundra is correct that it is a municipal bylaw in regards to hunting within city limits ...... most municipalities do impose the "no hunting" bylaw..... some don't.

My comments were specific to this thread as it was about Penticton.Normally the bylaw restricts the discharge of firearms, not hunting specifically. Sometimes it includes bows & crossbows, sometimes not. Whistler residents discovered that their firearms bylaw didn't include bows someone was hunting bears in a muni park). The Township of Langley's bylaw does.

SHAKER
09-04-2011, 10:28 PM
No offence but IF you have a tag for a Ram there why would you be look'n at them? You can do way better then that. Put the bow away and ask for some help, I'm sure someone will be more then happy to help you smack a good one.

moosecaller
09-05-2011, 12:25 AM
I use to hunt geese and ducks right in Penticton on the golf courses the owners loved it because of the damage the birds did and of course I got my bag limit on birds. There was a no firearm discharge in town but NOT a no huinting bylaw that was 22+ years ago so check into it if your ready to stick a sheep. I even went out with one of the local constables to shoot the geese.

anethema
09-05-2011, 12:43 AM
I asked incase I did see a nicer ram.

I also found bylaws pertaining to the discharge of firearms but could not find anything about bows or hunting. This leads me to believe it is legal.

This was Carmi area.

There is an area of bush around Carmi as well that is full of mulies. No great bucks yet but about 10 bucks from spikers to salad-fork horn type bucks. If you wanted to do some bow hunting and just cared about the meat there are tons in there.

But ya, I couldn't find anything saying it is not legal, but figured I'd ask here.

I will be looking for a better ram but despite this being a once in a lifetime draw I care about deer a lot more and if I don't see some better ones soon I'm just gonna plug one of the normal rams, no waiting for a trophy.

If anyone sees a bylaw saying no hunting or shooting a bow in city limits I'd be interested in seeing it though. Anyone ?

Ourea
09-05-2011, 01:02 AM
I asked incase I did see a nicer ram.

I also found bylaws pertaining to the discharge of firearms but could not find anything about bows or hunting. This leads me to believe it is legal.

This was Carmi area.

There is an area of bush around Carmi as well that is full of mulies. No great bucks yet but about 10 bucks from spikers to salad-fork horn type bucks. If you wanted to do some bow hunting and just cared about the meat there are tons in there.

But ya, I couldn't find anything saying it is not legal, but figured I'd ask here.

I will be looking for a better ram but despite this being a once in a lifetime draw I care about deer a lot more and if I don't see some better ones soon I'm just gonna plug one of the normal rams, no waiting for a trophy.

If anyone sees a bylaw saying no hunting or shooting a bow in city limits I'd be interested in seeing it though. Anyone ?

Please speak to the local bylaw enforcement officer for penticton and get the governing bylaw straight so you can hunt where you want to hunt with a clear conscious....... don't think a printed copy of a website contributor with a conflicting position will get you out of a jam if ur hunting within city limits and that is in breach of the local bylaw........ No disrepect to anyone that has contributed a different view based on where they live... just get your info from the source.

jonz
09-05-2011, 03:55 PM
That upper Carmi area is a no shooting area in the regs, map J9 but I also have wondered about bowhunting up there. Not the best area though with the traffic and houses around there.

bad dog
09-05-2011, 05:23 PM
gota love living up north...5 min in any derection and we can hunt.

You bet !! step out the door and iam hunting !! love the north !! ( city limits ? thought that was when you had enough of shopping !)

anethema
09-05-2011, 08:49 PM
That upper Carmi area is a no shooting area in the regs, map J9 but I also have wondered about bowhunting up there. Not the best area though with the traffic and houses around there.

No shooting areas specifically allow bows and crossbows in the regs. The area I saw all the mulies is outside the city limits, so would def be allowed. (With a bow only since it is a no shooting area).

The area where those sheep are in the picture is within city limits by about 100 yards. As far as I can tell it is still legal to hunt there with a bow, but ya I'll have to speak to a bylaw officer.

jonz
09-06-2011, 06:47 AM
How far up Carmi is the city limit?

capper911
09-06-2011, 07:31 AM
So doing some digging... this is what I found!!

From the Regs....

Map J9 Garnet Fire Motor Vehicles for Hunting
Closed Area and Upper Carmi Road No
Shooting Area (situated in MU 8-9).

And according to the website.. http://www.penticton.ca/EN/main/city/bylaws.html
There are no bylaws for hunting within city limits.

Good luck Buds!!!

anethema
09-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Ya I found the exact same results. Looks like anything I take out of there is fully legal. I would of course be careful about houses and appearance of the sport if the animal runs into someones yard, but at least I know it's an option.

threedhunter
09-06-2011, 10:25 PM
if you go to the city office, which i have done, and ask, you will be told that you can NOT HUNT INSIDE THE CITY BOUNDRIES.you can not discharge firearms or bows/crossbows either.(unless at a designated facility). We are currently experiencing some crvid troubles and may change these bylaws to allow culling in town. There has been a lot of s.s.s. in the past as co's do not let out many depredation permits without a whole lot of damage showing on the property.
as things stand , city boundry up carmi is the powerline crossing, and up to lost moose is no shooting. getting permission is needed from property owners, and its all private with a few places still crown.

Ourea
09-06-2011, 10:50 PM
So doing some digging... this is what I found!!

From the Regs....

Map J9 Garnet Fire Motor Vehicles for Hunting
Closed Area and Upper Carmi Road No
Shooting Area (situated in MU 8-9).

And according to the website.. http://www.penticton.ca/EN/main/city/bylaws.html
There are no bylaws for hunting within city limits.

Good luck Buds!!!

Gents, I once again I suggest that a spokesperson from the city of penticton is contacted such as the bylaw officer and get an official opinion! When the "Munson Buck" and some of his big friends were running around this area the same banter was flying around saying "cant find anything that says we can't hunt there".

I went to the city of penticton when I saw a crossbow hunter on Munson Mountain during my morning run ...... I contacted the bylaw officer on what the deal was ......... the BYLAW OFFICERS RESPONSE WAS, " NO HUNTING,TRAPPING OR HARRASSMENT OF WILDLIFE WITHIN CITY LIMITS.

Contact the city, get the facts ..... be sure ...... be 100% sure.
The last thing the hunting community needs, or wants, is another black eye of a hunting incident, in a public area, that is negatively reported. An arrow hanginging out of a deer or ram running around a residential area is the worst case scenario for the hunting community's reputation.
THINK!!! Get your facts from those in authoritative poisitions, .....then make an informed decision.
Again, I am not dismissing those people that have said something to the contraire ..... but ....I've taked to the city.... got the facts/ their position.
Have you?
Reguardless of the issues at hand, I personally wish good luck with your covetted sheep tag!

moosecaller
09-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Gents, I once again I suggest that a spokesperson from the city of penticton is contacted such as the bylaw officer and get an official opinion! When the "Munson Buck" and some of his big friends were running around this area the same banter was flying around saying "cant find anything that says we can't hunt there".

I went to the city of penticton when I saw a crossbow hunter on Munson Mountain during my morning run ...... I contacted the bylaw officer on what the deal was ......... the BYLAW OFFICERS RESPONSE WAS, " NO HUNTING,TRAPPING OR HARRASSMENT OF WILDLIFE WITHIN CITY LIMITS.

Contact the city, get the facts ..... be sure ...... be 100% sure.
The last thing the hunting community needs, or wants, is another black eye of a hunting incident, in a public area, that is negatively reported. An arrow hanginging out of a deer or ram running around a residential area is the worst case scenario for the hunting community's reputation.
THINK!!! Get your facts from those in authoritative poisitions, .....then make an informed decision.
Again, I am not dismissing those people that have said something to the contraire ..... but ....I've taked to the city.... got the facts/ their position.
Have you?
Reguardless of the issues at hand, I personally wish good luck with your covetted sheep tag!

Not saying this isn't the case and this is indeed what the bylaw officer said, we have heard many times that every peace officers don't know their own laws. They make decisions based on what they think is right and call it an interpratation of law what they feels is resonable.
Did you see the bylaw? get a bylaw number?(article number from the bylaw registry?) Ask when it was put into reading and when it was passed, just because they are officials don't make them the be all to end all; challenge them and you may be surprised at times.
Just a thought just because they got the job don't mean they got all the answers. Just like on here no ones is right all the time! I did hunt geese and ducks in town (Penticton) with a bow 22 + years ago and the cops said I couldn't ended up hunting "with" one of them and we did very well. Bear in mind when I did it 22+ years ago a bylaw may have been passed since then.

PS The bylaw officers response " NO HUNTING,TRAPPING OR HARRASSMENT OF WILDLIFE WITHIN CITY LIMITS. sounds a lot like a quote out of the hunting regs. paraphrased to suit the officers stand/answer/needs to address your question

300H&H
09-07-2011, 12:42 AM
This was posted by Coach on my thread about hunting within city limits.

http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/...E%209779%2Epdf (http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PDFs/%5CBylaws/Discharge%20of%20Firearms%20Bylaw%20No%2E%209779%2 Epdf)

Is it Legal to Bow hunt within a city ? (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?71417-Is-it-Legal-to-Bow-hunt-within-a-city)

anethema
09-07-2011, 07:36 AM
I'll call kelowna and penticton bylaw people today, but I agree as above what they say doesn't mean anything if they provide a law. They aren't allowed to make up rules as they go.

Again I want to hunt in the woods, away from people, etc etc. But if I saw some trophy buck on the edge of town but still in the foresty area or whatever, I'd like to know it's legal to take him with a bow.

Every indication so far is it is legal, but I'll make some calls today. I do a lot of work for city of kelowna so pretty sure I can get to the right people.

anethema
09-09-2011, 11:51 PM
I called both bylaw offices and they both said there is no bylaw against hunting with a bow in city limits.

I called the RCMP and they said as long as it was generally away from people etc (not a 'public danger') it would be fine.

So unless someone can think of a legal reason otherwise, I would deem it legal.

Walking Buffalo
09-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Ask these officials to put that in writing.

Always ask for legal interpretations to be expressed on paper.

I called both bylaw offices and they both said there is no bylaw against hunting with a bow in city limits.

I called the RCMP and they said as long as it was generally away from people etc (not a 'public danger') it would be fine.

So unless someone can think of a legal reason otherwise, I would deem it legal.

silvertipp
09-10-2011, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=anethema;975200]I called both bylaw offices and they both said there is no bylaw against hunting with a bow in city limits.

So unless someone can think of a legal reason otherwise, I would deem it legal.[/QUOTE

There is a 300 meter rule up there so be careful theres alot of tree huggers around
but listen i just came back from up there & we filled both ram tags ,one past full and one shy of full
if you want some advise PM me
Dont wait to long ill be heading out again soon good luck