PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrrrrrrrr.....

srupp
09-04-2011, 11:57 AM
My wife and I were talking that this is the first year in our 23 vyear marriage that we did not can salmon. Joe had bad luck and found work overseas so we didnt go to Terrace, didnt get to Bella Coola due to work....

So Susan mentioned that there were salmon sockeye?? for sale in the paper from the natives..I being an idiot said" natives cant sell salmon up here and certainly would NOT advertise such in the paper" Susan replies no they are allowed the Federal government has said its now OK and their name is in the paper along with the add.:confused::confused:

Sure enough the natives here are now allowed to SELL salmon WTF???
NO MORE CERMONIAL OR SUBSISTENCE only now its $$$$$$$$$$$$

So there goes another fishery down the toilet IMO..

As much as I would love to can up some jars for the winter..I wont support this fishery...sheeesh...

salmonless and steamed in the Pond..

Elmer:???:

elkdom
09-04-2011, 12:12 PM
breath in,,,,,,,,,,,,breath out,,,,,,,,,,,,aahhhhhhhhhh!

RELAXXXXXXXXXX,, dont BLOW a VALVE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

the World, she is a changin,,,,,,,,,,,,,:evil:

srupp
09-04-2011, 12:29 PM
thanks BRO..doing the HMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh breathing exxcercise....thanx..

cheers
Steven

elkdom
09-04-2011, 12:34 PM
thanks BRO..doing the HMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh breathing exxcercise....thanx..

cheers
Steven

did you here the joke about the "Politically Connected /Privileged FISH Retailer, that FELL out of a Medi-Vac Chopper" ??? :mrgreen:

Moosehunter64
09-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Same thing happened in Port Alberni this year and they can also sell to commercial buyers.Guess we are going to have to get use to it.

The Dude
09-04-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm a little slow..........can someone explain how this happened?
I've never been against a food fishery, as long as it's to provide for one's family and immediate community (elders, etc).
"Ceremonial purposes" I never quite got. Like....you wanna dance naked in firelight with a fish head wrapped around your skull? Go for it.
But to sell commercially? WTFing....F?

srupp
09-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks Elkdom..no I didnt hear about them...how does it start?? I know how it ends..lol...

sheesh ya know me WAAAAAAY to well lol..

steven

Allen50
09-04-2011, 01:40 PM
well it is the white man causing the problem by wanting to buy with out going and fishing for his owne, if there were no demand for fish to buy then the natives would not have a sale for them, so you see you can not blame anyone but are selves, for the demand for fish, just what i understand,,,

Hank Hunter
09-04-2011, 01:56 PM
well it is the white man causing the problem by wanting to buy with out going and fishing for his owne, if there were no demand for fish to buy then the natives would not have a sale for them, so you see you can not blame anyone but are selves, for the demand for fish, just what i understand,,,

So the same white man can go catch what he wants and sell it without issue

steel_ram
09-04-2011, 02:02 PM
It's all white man's fault.

jeff
09-04-2011, 02:06 PM
its also legal for a native to pitlamp with a traditional 10 000 000 candle power lamp

Ambush
09-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Same on Babine Lake. The nets are out in front of the entrance to the Fulton hatchery. According to the native fish monitor, they are shipping the sockeye in 40,000 fish loads to Vancouver for sale. He also said, if we didn't catch enough, they were for sale at $10 each in the village. Funny thing is they are all hatchery fish. Put there buy tax dollars.

We easily caught our possesion limit, but I can see future limits being severly curtailed due to pressure from the new fishing industry.

M.Dean
09-04-2011, 03:11 PM
How much were the Sockeye??? I may not make it to the coast this year, so I wouldn't mind a dozen or so to smoke and can.

jeff
09-04-2011, 03:25 PM
buying off them is what this issue is all about . i no its cheap and tempting but i wouldnt ever buy em from the indians . that being said my brother buys a 100 a year for 5 bucks not cleaned 10 bucks cleaned then he smokes em and turns around and sells them 20 bucks a side

The Dude
09-04-2011, 03:28 PM
How much were the Sockeye??? I may not make it to the coast this year, so I wouldn't mind a dozen or so to smoke and can.

Shirley, you jest.

elkdom
09-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Shirley, you jest.

is M.Dean's REAL name "Shirley' ???,,,,,,,,,, WOW !

the things you can find out on the Internet ! :lol:

srupp
09-04-2011, 03:49 PM
as much as I would like to can 30 pints I just cant bring myself to buy salmon off a native and support what I consider an illegal fishery..

steven

frenchbar
09-04-2011, 03:56 PM
i will take 30 .. do they deliver lol..j/k ..i get em free from my native freinds..10 beans is way out of line haha...

Mik
09-04-2011, 04:11 PM
It's all white man's fault.
Was Trudeau a white man......LoL

Kalum
09-04-2011, 04:15 PM
srupp, lot's of coho fishing still to be had up here in Terrace. Getchur butt on up here and fill your freezer.

huntwriter
09-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Same here. I've to listen every single day how many salmon are caught (netted) out of the Thomson River by various individuals. It's 100's of salmon per day per individual. Then these people complain what hard work it is to clean all them fish all night long and the next day the fish are offered for sale all across town. Meanwhile, I am sitting here hoping that just maybe the Thomson River will be opened for two days so I can catch my two salmon too. But worst of all is reading and listening to the complaints of these very individuals in the newspaper and on the radio how we, the sport anglers, are to blame for declining salmon stocks. I am not kidding that is exactly what happens around here.

09-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Flippin SICK Government REVERSE discrimination all the way.

I never have and Never will Support the Native fishery !

CT

Samsquatch
09-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Apparently its now their right because the used to trade fish with other bands for buffalo etc. so if they could do it then why cant they do it now, you know, using spears and catching a few hundred fish for trade way back then is basically the same as catching thousands of fish now with high quality nets to sell to whomever they want. Or atleast thats what they are using to twist the governments rubber arm.

Secondly, seeing as how this is my first post I thought I just say hey and that im looking forward to taking part in the banter here, I wont try to leech to much, anything anyone could ever need to know can be found using the search bar it seems. Cheers

Clayton

rocket
09-04-2011, 08:13 PM
dont worry steven theyll be crying commerical fishing is hurting the salmon, whole thing is a joke. Just like chief joey is saying prosperity mine will hurt the salmon, never seen salmon walk on land yet. government needs to grow a pair and stop bending over. Tell em get a job no more handouts.

Sitkaspruce
09-04-2011, 09:17 PM
buying off them is what this issue is all about . i no its cheap and tempting but i wouldnt ever buy em from the indians . that being said my brother buys a 100 a year for 5 bucks not cleaned 10 bucks cleaned then he smokes em and turns around and sells them 20 bucks a side

How does sell them??

Does he have a commercial licence or something???

I am curious as to how that works??

Cheers

SS

jeff
09-04-2011, 09:21 PM
well if he had a comercial licence he wouldnt need to buy them off the indians he sells em to friends

dryflyguy57
09-04-2011, 10:13 PM

You want to buy some halibut ? Was offered some 40/60 lb fish from Kincolith , available all year . $4.00 a pound . Are a native elder or just a sports guy ?

Gilmore
09-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Same here. I've to listen every single day how many salmon are caught (netted) out of the Thomson River by various individuals. It's 100's of salmon per day per individual. Then these people complain what hard work it is to clean all them fish all night long and the next day the fish are offered for sale all across town. Meanwhile, I am sitting here hoping that just maybe the Thomson River will be opened for two days so I can catch my two salmon too. But worst of all is reading and listening to the complaints of these very individuals in the newspaper and on the radio how we, the sport anglers, are to blame for declining salmon stocks. I am not kidding that is exactly what happens around here.

What he said....

XPEIer
09-05-2011, 06:22 AM

There is no open fishery for the Non Natives, that is the reason the commercial selling is working for them. They had the same thing last year, the TNG has a commercial licnence from DFO that allows them to sell a certain amount of fish. This comes from a court case where the FN requested the oppourtunity to make a modes living, it happened back east with Lobster fishing. So, each FN is allowed so many traps and can sell thier catch.

If there are enough fish to support a local commercial sale, then there should be enough to allow me to go out with a rod and reel and catch a couple, or hell, even catch and release.

xpeier

srupp
09-05-2011, 08:06 AM
XPEIer.well said..

steven

Fishhound
09-05-2011, 08:36 AM
XPEIer, you said it
The federal goverment needs to give us non native residents some rights as well

Dragginbait
09-05-2011, 09:04 AM
government needs to grow a pair and stop bending over. Tell em get a job no more handouts.
That'll happen when pigs fly and politicians don't lie.

steel_ram
09-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Why would anyone buy a salmon that's been sitting in a cooler for who knows how long in the sun at the road side? I know of one situation where the salmon are brought into the reserve's, divided up and left in tubs at the ends of driveways, where they often are left. A certain relative of mine, out of disgust, went around and gathered up as much as she could process (can), then re-distributed it. There's lots of waste, FN's don't consume anywhere near what they claim they need.

If they harvest it commercially, that's fine, as long as they work within all the rules everyone else does.

Fishhound
09-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Dragginbait, you're right
But I think the reason that the first nations get all of these special rights is because, they are the only ones that cry fowl in large numbers, the rest of us just sit back and complain on these websites instead of, complaining in mass protests like the natives do.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease

NaStY
09-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Its like every other resource bc has. It gets sold, handed over or given away. Its not just natives.

Why is it every thread about fishing has to be negatively put onto natives when its our government that has the power to change things. Why is it that our so called "test fishery" in the ocean gets to sell there catch before anyone else can fish for them?

Start pointing the finger at the real problem "our government"

jeff
09-05-2011, 10:53 AM
but the problem starts at the source . then our government needs a backbone and put a stop to the freebies i defenetly dont get any handouts . the government has there friggen hand in my pocket every day

TyTy
09-05-2011, 11:03 AM
port alberni bands gto 33% of sockeye catch (still looking for more), and are allowed to sell the sockeye (heard this on CBC few weeks back).

I think its great they can sell their catch, but lets be honest, there is no regulation on just how much salmon they sell (or catch for that matter) on the road side stands.

frenchbar
09-05-2011, 11:05 AM

true enough...they have been trading and selling fish for hundreds of yrs here in BC...and the white man keeps on buying them illegaly or not...not going to change any time soon ....

jeff
09-05-2011, 11:10 AM
i grew up in port alberni and just about every year someone would stumble across a dump site of rotting fish that obviosly was not looked after and these dump sites werent just a few fish . im talking hundreds and hundreds . waita look after there resources

huntwriter
09-05-2011, 01:38 PM

It's not sports anglers that buy the fish. There is a huge market for salmon and people are buying from the Natives because they are cheaper, a lot cheaper, then in the store. The regular man and women don't care, or don't know, about fishing or Natives v. White politics, they just want salmon on the dinner table and if the Natives offer a better prize then the store the natives will get the business.

skibum
09-05-2011, 05:11 PM
"The lengthy back-and-forth appears to illustrate that the very fellow charged with negotiating new fishery deals with First Nations on behalf of all Canadians — on the “government-to-government” or “nation-to-nation” basis increasingly demanded by native leaders — is arguably prepared to give away the store because he doesn’t believe non-natives have a leg to stand on."

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/06/30/christie-blatchford-at-the-cohen-commission-the-rights-and-privillages-of-fishing/

Leaseman
09-06-2011, 08:26 AM
First nations has three fisheries..... Ceremonial, Communal and economic opportunities.....

Says it all to me.......:-?

I was out on the Fraser on Sunday...... the number of set nets, drift nets was interesting, especially when I checked the web site for openings and none showed....... Above Mission I watched a couple of natives ripping pinks from their nets and heaving them as far out into the river as they could throw....:confused: .... In one spot just above Fort Langley, there was three boats with drift nets fishing 200+ yards apart........

Big Lew
09-06-2011, 10:10 AM
It's pretty obvious that the various levels of Government and enforcement don't want to deal with a "hot potato." Yes, Indigenous people did catch and use fish for barter and trade before European intrusion. One of the first commercial exploitations by Europeans was fish, so it's not unreasonable to understand the Indigenous people's point of view, but in to-day's environment, we're all supposedly equal, and should all have to follow the same collectively negotiated rules, which includes having to pay taxes. If any group of peoples want to commercially sell fish, or anything else, they should have to pay for the same licenses and taxes as everyone else. Having a "status card" shouldn't give you a green light to hunt or fish outside of normal seasons, or to take more than anyone legally allowed if you're receiving collective tax dollars, or holding down a job, except for basic sustainability, which everyone is entitled to, if they apply for a permit.

winchester284
09-06-2011, 10:24 AM

That same argument has been used with the drug trade. It's not the drug dealers fault, it's the junkies fault and they alone are at fault..... :confused:

winchester284
09-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Its like every other resource bc has. It gets sold, handed over or given away. Its not just natives.

Why is it every thread about fishing has to be negatively put onto natives when its our government that has the power to change things. Why is it that our so called "test fishery" in the ocean gets to sell there catch before anyone else can fish for them?

Start pointing the finger at the real problem "our government"

I believe the fish caught in the seine nets are released...

#1fishslayer
09-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Wonder how long till you can buy elk meat on kijiji.

coach
09-06-2011, 11:30 AM
"The lengthy back-and-forth appears to illustrate that the very fellow charged with negotiating new fishery deals with First Nations on behalf of all Canadians — on the “government-to-government” or “nation-to-nation” basis increasingly demanded by native leaders — is arguably prepared to give away the store because he doesn’t believe non-natives have a leg to stand on."

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/06/30/christie-blatchford-at-the-cohen-commission-the-rights-and-privillages-of-fishing/

Very troubling article, skibum.

Singleshotneeded
09-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Every Canadian, regardless of colour or ethnicity, should be bound by the same laws and regulations. No exceptions!
Maybe indians living on their reserves and hunting on them should be allowed to do so without having to buy a hunting
licence, but outside of that it should be a level playing field for everyone. After all, indians aren't "natives", they're just
immigrants from Siberia that got here a bit earlier than immigrants from Europe...laws, regulations, bag limits should be
the same for all Canadians!

CB_Hunter
09-06-2011, 03:01 PM
It's not sports anglers that buy the fish. There is a huge market for salmon and people are buying from the Natives because they are cheaper, a lot cheaper, then in the store. The regular man and women don't care, or don't know, about fishing or Natives v. White politics, they just want salmon on the dinner table and if the Natives offer a better prize then the store the natives will get the business.

X2

I was in the local store yesterday and half a frozen salmon was 16.99 ... kinda hard to buy half a frozen salmon for 16.99 + tax when you can buy a whole one for 10.00 and no tax ...

huntwriter
09-06-2011, 08:13 PM
X2

I was in the local store yesterday and half a frozen salmon was 16.99 ... kinda hard to buy half a frozen salmon for 16.99 + tax when you can buy a whole one for 10.00 and no tax ...

I've been offered two salmon for that prize, no sales tax either. There is barley a day passing by that not someone walks up to me offering "fresh caught salmon." The answer is always the same; "Thanks but I catch my own." To which often is replied, with a sarcastic under ton, "If there are still any left by the time you people get to fish."

Personally I don't mind so much that Natives have more rights regarding fishing and hunting. It's our fault we gave it to their demands and keep caving in. What really gets my dander up is when these very same people, after having netted thousands of salmon go to the media and blame the recreational sport anglers for the decline in salmon numbers.

DMAN009
09-06-2011, 08:31 PM
every canadian, regardless of colour or ethnicity, should be bound by the same laws and regulations. No exceptions!
Maybe indians living on their reserves and hunting on them should be allowed to do so without having to buy a hunting
licence, but outside of that it should be a level playing field for everyone. After all, indians aren't "natives", they're just
immigrants from siberia that got here a bit earlier than immigrants from europe...laws, regulations, bag limits should be
the same for all canadians!

bingo!!!!! I got no problem with that!!!!

coach
09-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Personally I don't mind so much that Natives have more rights regarding fishing and hunting. It's our fault we gave it to their demands and keep caving in. What really gets my dander up is when these very same people, after having netted thousands of salmon go to the media and blame the recreational sport anglers for the decline in salmon numbers.

Even worse is that members of the media actually believe this bull$&it and report it!

Fishhound
09-08-2011, 03:25 PM
We spend too much time ranting about these problems on these forums, what we all need to do is write our MLAs, MPs,the DFO and the Prime Minister of this country and complain