PDA

View Full Version : Bow Hunting Help

beaverfever89
09-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Ive recently been given permission to hunt on a large ranch with a bow only. So that being said i went a got myself a new excalibur crossbow. The past two nights ive been out I have decided not to take the two four points that have come by because i saw three monster four points in the same spot three nights ago. It seems i can only get close enough to the smaller ones(which are still nice bucks) but cant close to my trophy buck. I dont want to put too much pressure on the area because there are tons of deer in there...last night there was 8 bucks and who knows how many doe... If any one can give me some suggestions to help me bag this guy i would greatly appreciate it. (there is a road i can drive through the property that allows me to see everything so i was thinking for the next couple nights/mornings, maybe just drive the road?) Thanks for the help!

elkdom
09-04-2011, 11:01 AM
the REASON they are BIG is by being smart,,, dont expect the MONSTER Buck to stand still so you drive up and shoot him with a bow,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Bow Walker
09-04-2011, 11:07 AM
You're on the right track. Don't over pressure them o they'll go nocturnal on you.

Any chance of setting up a blind or a tree stand close to where the big boys are traveling to an from the field(s)?

You could try stalking them.

Are they used to vehicles coming and going?

elkdom
09-04-2011, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=Bow Walker;971996]You're on the right track. Don't over pressure them o they'll go nocturnal on you.

Any chance of setting up a blind or a tree stand close to where the big boys are traveling to an from the field(s)?

x2, a tree stand or a ground blind, near a trail leading into feeding or watering area is key, to getting close enough with a bow to take a good shot,

usually on a ranch/farm land,,,,elk,deer.moose and bears are VERY used to machinery/vehicles quite often the farmer has to "yield" to large game while seeding or harvesting, but the farmer in most cases rarely or never bothers the game, they(game) will sense different activities/suspicious or harmful behavior,

beaverfever89
09-04-2011, 12:43 PM
i tried the blind last night and had a smaller four point walk in front of me and then there was two larger four points but wouldnt come close... is it ok to set up a blind in the middle of the grass patch that they come out to feed on? i had my blind set on the edge of the trees but it turns out thats where they seem to bed down during the day so i dont wanna bother them in the late afternoon when im setting up. The weather has been hot here in kamloops the last couple days so maybe i should just see if they are close to the road tonight or tomorrow morn and maybe leave it till next weekend to reduce the pressure? any thoughts or comments is appreciated

ThinAir
09-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Buy a plaid shirt, spill a little diesel on it and pretend your working on some equipment. You'll look and smell like a farmer and probably have a 20 yard chip shot!:)

huntwriter
09-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Ive recently been given permission to hunt on a large ranch with a bow only. So that being said i went a got myself a new excalibur crossbow. The past two nights ive been out I have decided not to take the two four points that have come by because i saw three monster four points in the same spot three nights ago. It seems i can only get close enough to the smaller ones(which are still nice bucks) but cant close to my trophy buck. I dont want to put too much pressure on the area because there are tons of deer in there...last night there was 8 bucks and who knows how many doe... If any one can give me some suggestions to help me bag this guy i would greatly appreciate it. (there is a road i can drive through the property that allows me to see everything so i was thinking for the next couple nights/mornings, maybe just drive the road?) Thanks for the help!

If they are whitetail deer try this. Set up a treestand or ground blind as close to the bucks bedding or staging area as possible without making any noise. Do not use a commercial ground blind, instead use material you find on location. Don't make the blind to elaborate either as the bucks will notice every little change.

Staging areas are best hunted in the afternoon, be there long before the deer start to move. Bedding areas are best hunted in the morning when the deer are still in the fields. Be there well before daylight as bucks return to the bedding area before sunup. Make sure you do not have to cross any areas where the bucks can see, hear or smell you when you approach the bedding area stand.

Hope this helps and good luck. I am off hunting a staging area this evening. :)

beaverfever89
09-04-2011, 07:56 PM
ok, i just got back in from a little drive by out there and passed on another nice four point. he was about two inches wider than his ears on one side and about three inches wider on the other side. Hes not the big monster i saw a couple days ago but still a nice buck. Should i take him next chance? or wait? i know its early in the season but im not the only person that gets permission to hunt on this particular property. thoughts?

finngun
09-04-2011, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=ThinAir;972031]Buy a plaid shirt, spill a little diesel on it and pretend your working on some equipment. You'll look and smell like a farmer and probably have a 20 yard chip shot!:)
and remember -foaming is very important too...wah-wah

RoscoeP
09-04-2011, 08:09 PM
I wish I had your problem, sounds like a great area, good luck and be patient. Cheers Roscoe

Bow Walker
09-04-2011, 08:21 PM
What are you after? A trophy or some meat?

Only you can make a decision like the one you're asking advice about.

beaverfever89
09-04-2011, 08:23 PM
im all for the meat. however wouldnt mind having the trophy on the wall to be completely honest.

beaverfever89
09-04-2011, 08:32 PM
bow walker... i think your right