PDA

View Full Version : Early season kootenay hunt

Deerwhacker
09-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Well, we headed out to the east kootenys to be there auust 31st for a day of scouting .On the first day of scouting we found lots of deer (the same as teh preveouse year) and some fresh elk sign and it looked quite promissing. September 1st rolls around adn i decide to set my ground blind up for the night hunt with my rifle to try to get one of the bucks i scared away earleor in the day, sure enoung after passing on lots of forkers and spikes heading up to bead my buck comes out i steady the crosshairs and make a perfict shot right through the heart and lungs(that made up for me having a gun in my hand as 9 elk crossed 30 yards from me):mad: .anyways a couple of days of deer chasing go by and me and my dad fail to get another one but only come a hair away several times.After seeing good elk sign and a promising clover patch in one area we decided to set up our stands and sure enough after passing up some deer the elk came up the creekbed an a cow finds her way over to right near my stand where she slowly walked 25 yards in a line form me and just as shes about to walk into my shooting lane 25 yards broadside she runs right through it as if she new i was about to shoot her:-( after shes out of my shoting area she continues to slowly walk away into the forest. anyway had a good time and in my second year hunting i got another whitetail buck sept 1st.

Jelvis
09-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Deerwhacker; you must of had a riot and hunting with your dad sounds like fun, you found a good spot by the sounds of it. Congratulations on your nice buck and thanks for your hunting story, from the kootenays it was fun to read. Keep up the good work.

Deerwhacker
09-07-2006, 01:24 PM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/Howhacker/PHOT0044.jpghttp://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/Howhacker/PHOT0045.jpg Just finished butchering him up ,The only bad thing was the 300wsm 180gn accubond wound up shatering some bone on the way in and unfortunatly i lost alot of one of the front legs but thats the price you pay for a bang-flop deer when hes quartering slightly to you.Anyway ive got fresh backstrap steaks to fry up.:smile:

rollingrock
09-07-2006, 01:45 PM
How many shots did you take? btw, that looks like a good eating tender deer. Congrats!

Deerwhacker
09-07-2006, 01:57 PM
One shot form 90 yards. On the entry it clipped the leg bone smashing it to bits then blew the top half of the heart off and then riped its way through a lung and then out . the exit wound was easily 3/4" in diameter.

Mark_S
09-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Elk and Deer don't open in region 4 until September 10th.

Unless you are under 16 or over 65, and thats only for Deer, no age restrictions on Elk.

Deerwhacker
09-08-2006, 08:46 PM
im 18 youth only season applies if you are under the age of 19 in the licence year

Mark_S
09-08-2006, 08:50 PM
My appologes for my mistake. It is under 19. Thats awesome!

Deerwhacker
09-08-2006, 08:57 PM
ya no problem. it was a great hunt and i could have takin two more deer of equal size with the bow .if i had known that i woulda passed this guy up.But thats the way it goes and thats my trophy deer.

GoatGuy
09-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Congrats on the buck and a good hunt.