PDA

View Full Version : Hudson's Hope Elk

diharv
09-03-2011, 02:10 AM
I just got back from a week of hunting along the Tetsa river for a cow or bull elk. The area that produced four six points in four years for my dad and I in the mid 90's was not so magical for my wife and two daughters who accompanied me this time. Camped in the big gravel pit 2 km east of the Tetsa River services place that sell the famous cinamon buns. Saw no elk but jumped one cow in the bush and she chirped back but did not show herself. Granted it was very warm and the rut has not started according to the locals and the silence at night. My wife discovered alot of fossil shells in some of the rocks in that pit so I elk hunted while my girls rock hunted.
I would love to go back later but it is 1000km from Quesnel where I live. I noticed that the country between Hudson's Hope and Ft St John looks like good elk country.Starting mid Sept one can harvest a cow I believe which is all I want for my family.Does anyone know if any of the ranchers there allow elk hunting on or around their land and who would I contact to find out? Like I said I am only interested in a cow as a meat animal for my family. I am not familiar with that area at all and the general antlerless season makes me think it may be a good area with alot of elk. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

barry1974w
09-03-2011, 08:25 AM
A lot of the land along the river is leased by outfitters. But knocking on doors can still get you permission on some places. Can't help you with any names though.

Brett
09-03-2011, 09:26 AM
1000K is a little stretch don't you think, I can get from door to hunting area in 3 hours and you live an hour from me,...you drive through Alberta on your way there! :) Run up for a weekend closer to the end of the month

diharv
09-03-2011, 11:10 AM
1000K is a little stretch don't you think, I can get from door to hunting area in 3 hours and you live an hour from me,...you drive through Alberta on your way there! :) Run up for a weekend closer to the end of the month
I'm not sure I get the meaning of your reply. The Tetsa river where we were is on the other side of Ft Nelson and is all of over 1000km away from where I live in Quesnel. We did not have to go through Alberta to get there. Do you mean that where you hunt elk you have to go through a bit of Alberta to reach it and can one harvest a cow elk there? I would love to be able to elk hunt closer to home but I have no idea where to go.Someplace within 5-6 hours of here would be great.

Glassman
09-03-2011, 12:08 PM
If all you are interested in is a cow Elk, PM me for some insight to that. It would be a 6 hour drive to there.

Brett
09-03-2011, 03:35 PM
sorry I wasn't really paying attention as normal and thought you were trying to say H Hope was 1000k away, anyway, Chetwyn, HHope F St J all have a cow opening on the 15 of Sept and this is well within home for a quick trip