PDA

View Full Version : dam elk

brock77
09-02-2011, 03:01 PM
long story short;...day 1... located a nice bull tried to get him but no luck....
Day 2 back for the same bull....ended up bumping him from his bed and spooking his cows......
Now my question for u experienced elk slayers is....should we leave him for a couple days or.... do u think hell be back to claim his bed this eving/tommorow morning....thanks brock

p.s ....i just typed out a lengthy detailed story about the two days..clicked on preview post and.....i had to sign back in, lost every thing.....do we time out when typing something......thanks brock

Glassman
09-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Happened to me once also because my typing is not so fast and because I want to make sure the spelling is correct. Now if I take a-while typing a post I hit "control C" before I hit the "Post Quick Reply" button. If it goes thru great, if not I just hit "control V" and voila I just copy pasted it and then hit "Post Quick Reply"

Shooter
09-02-2011, 04:49 PM
He will be by his cows... Bulls pretty much follow the cows not the other way around is my understanding.

elkdom
09-03-2011, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE=brock77;971412]long story short;...day 1... located a nice bull tried to get him but no luck....
Day 2 back for the same bull....ended up bumping him from his bed and spooking his cows......
Now my question for u experienced elk slayers is....should we leave him for a couple days or.... do u think hell be back to claim his bed this eving/tommorow morning....thanks brock

unless the Bull elk left his pillow and his blanket ? he wont be back in the same bed again,,,,,,,,,,,:mrgreen:

but he will be in the same VICINITY with the cows,,, unless they spooked enough to move over to new drainage, bulls seldom rest much when they have a harem of cows,,, if the herd bull has several cows, there also is a good chance there will be several satellite bulls lurking nearby,,,

brock77
09-03-2011, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=brock77;971412]long story short;...day 1... located a nice bull tried to get him but no luck....

unless the Bull elk left his pillow and his blanket ? he wont be back in the same bed again,,,,,,,,,,,:mrgreen:

but he will be in the same VICINITY with the cows,,, unless they spooked enough to move over to new drainage, bulls seldom rest much when they have a harem of cows,,, if the herd bull has several cows, there also is a good chance there will be several satellite bulls lurking nearby,,,

haha...thanks eldom...this is what i was wondering... and yes oh yes he was in the same vicinity this mornig...
Glassed him and the five spike for an hour this morning, with him answering back to both cow calls and bugles then made our move...
Cow calling the hole way up.....stopped for a breather...gave a couple of cow calls and then CRASH SNAP branches braking....see antlers.....draw my bow and.... hooolllllly chit there is the five spike...8 yards away, head on stairing straight at me...(no shot)...held up behind the smallest tree ever......(im shaking/breathing uncontrolably)...my hunting partner/caller is laying down in the tall grass just 5 yards from the tree, finally after what felt like for ever, he turns and heads around this little grassy nole we were on to see if he can locate the cow thats calling...he doesnt see her and blots up the hill..
thank god cause i dont think i could of held my my bow at full draw much longer...hahahaha
heading back in the morning and get set up in the dark and wait........