PDA

View Full Version : How do you hunt elk in october?

kebes
09-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Visiting my parents in Nelson in early october, so I'm gonna do some hunting...I have an idea where to look for the elk (spent last summer there), but I really don't know how to hunt them in October...will they still be bugling, will they be aggressive, should I try locating and then going in after them...maybe just hit the bush in areas where I think they are? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

steepNdeep
09-01-2011, 08:35 PM
How do you hunt elk in october?

With difficulty! I've only heard a few bugles in October in ~8 years of hunting them & haven't been able to really get them going like in September. (Although I"m starting to think about deer in Oct.)

Same tactics apply - there is a second estrous cycle ("rut") for cows that weren't bred the first cycle, but it's usually a weaker rut. Guys still manage to kill them, but it more hit & miss. Get out there & good luck!

beni
09-01-2011, 08:53 PM
I'll have the same problem.. but antlerless in 4-06 in Oct... never hunted elk before and from what I hear it could be difficult during that time in the area, How long after is the second cycle?

Kebes, try to get to an area where there hasn't been too much hunting pressure, the bulls shouldn't be too far away if they think a cow might be willing to do the deed.

tash
09-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Also be aware that many parts of the Nelson/Castlegar area are rather....chaotic....once the elk season opens up.

I actually stopped going to a few areas because there were just too many people out and I wasn't comfortable.

grizzlydueck
09-01-2011, 11:00 PM
there's no elk left in the west kootenay ...lol.....but I had sh#tloads talking last season in october =some of my tricks=try getting above a clearcut = one that has no roads =hike up in the dark and get set up for first light ! And cow \bugle then wait....and if a bull answers get ready to cut his next bugle off =with your bugle over top of his =this works great some of the time =just try and stay above him! and down wind= elk arn't stupid =soo many people drive to the bottom of the same slide or -end of the road -or pull out and let a bugle rip =once they hear that day after day with the slam of the truck door after the unsuccesful calls, they stop answering ! wouldn't you ! anybody can blow a bugle but like fishing, its all about presentation ...............good luck !

GoatGuy
09-02-2011, 12:26 AM
hunt the same way as all year. Find them, call them, shoot them.

If they aren't talking then start hunting them like wt's.

Lastly, don't listen to most of the people from the WK.:twisted:

wolf
10-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Hunting pressure should be less with the rest of the WK open, lots of elk out their & active @ this time if not too spooked, if you find them try call them out for a shot, failing that go in after them

W

moose2
10-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Up north once the leaves are off I like to slowly walk the large aspen groves surrounding feed and water areas. I like to move slowly and chirp every now and then so if they hear me walking they think its a cow. Alot of close shots are offered this way. If there is snow I will follow the tracks and find bedding areas , and the next day I will hit that area from the back side it sometimes fools them. They seem to watch there back trail alot.
Mike

Elkaholic2010
10-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Have had some of the best elk hunting right up to the end of the season on October 20th in the west kootenays. Bulls are still with cows and second rut is in full swing. Watched bulls breed cows beginning of November. Actually had some good bulls going this morning! Good Luck

elkdom
10-09-2011, 05:03 PM
hunt bedding areas, feeding plots, and look for trails that lead from these places to water, elk are habitual and unless they are being very stressed with hunting/predator avoidance issues ,,they will continue to pattern,,,,,,,,,

TyTy
10-09-2011, 05:08 PM
walk up the FSRs that prohibit motor vehicles and check out the remote slashes.

aggiehunter
10-09-2011, 09:17 PM
By hunting.....