PDA

View Full Version : too smokey for hunting

NEEHAMA
09-06-2006, 02:17 PM
i was planning on a few days grouse hunting in around princeton then working my way to rock creek to try and bag a meat buck white tail. anyone think i'll be in trouble with too much smoke from the manning park/ usa fires? visibility etc..

Jelvis
09-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Only if the gov't closes the road to traffic because of the lack of visibilty, otherwise deer love the smell of smoke. Lots a guys build a campfire to attract deer.

Steeleco
09-06-2006, 03:23 PM
I would have thought it would move them out of the area once it gets too much, they do depend on their noses for survival all that smoke can't make them feel comfy ??

4ptbuck
09-06-2006, 03:53 PM
I just spent the long weekend out there.
My observations is that the deer are not to be seen.
In total, I saw a single Mulie doe, a group of 5 Wt does, and a group of 4 mulie does and a bear. Normally I would have expected to see this amount in the first hours of hunting, not after 3 days of hard hunting.

My thoughts are that the deer rely heavily on their sense of smell, and all the smoke in the air has them all hunkered down.

cowboy-up69
09-06-2006, 04:08 PM
To be quite honest with you, with all this smoke around and stuff, I seen quite a few deer. Where I went hunting the first few days, it was really smokey, never seen it soo smokey before, and I still saw lotsa deer. So...?

sealevel
09-06-2006, 04:15 PM
I don`t think the smell of smoke bothers them at all. I have been on a lot of fires mopping up and seen deer wondering around through the smoke looking for something green to eat.

NEEHAMA
09-06-2006, 04:18 PM
How far can you see? is it still bad once you get super high up into the alpines (where i hunt early season)?? . i have hunted in dense fog before better off staying at home.

GoatGuy
09-06-2006, 05:53 PM
How far can you see? is it still bad once you get super high up into the alpines (where i hunt early season)?? . i have hunted in dense fog before better off staying at home.

9 statute miles + at Kelowna, Penticton and Princeton airports. You should be fine