PDA

View Full Version : Tahitan trail

fusion
09-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Does anybody know the Tahitan Trail located in the Spatsizi? The trail head is obviously off the rail grade. I was told by an oldtimer who hunted there years ago its location is approx. at the 100 km mark. Can anyone varify this. Any info on the condition of the trail would be greatly appreciated. Map books show the trail but thats about it. Thanx in advance.

Jamiko
09-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I have been in there before (10yrs ago), i cant verify the km off the rail grade but the approx. lat and long is:
57 22'24.15"N, 129 06'09.45"W .... + or - 500meters. There was a short skid road going off the the north, we got out and looked around that location. We had to walk right by a first nations camp/wall tent to find it so it was a bit tricky. I also remember another larger FN camp just further down the road so if you pass that, youve gone to far. Trail was in excellent condition but further up in the alpine it was more difficult to route find. The trail on some maps and mapbooks are incorrect, upon reaching the alpine, the right trail will pass by one larger and one small lake. No one else was up there and beautiful area, plenty of game. Ill repost if i find my old map with exact location marked.

40incher
09-01-2011, 10:28 PM
We looked for the Tahltan trail a few years ago. Went up the right-hand side of Conglomerate Creek, and as far as we could tell there is no recent trail. Pretty ugly walk actually.

We made it to the alpine at the headwaters of Tsetia Creek and hunted for a couple of days. Only saw 3 caribou. Nice country but very little game in it.

The trail likely existed but I don't think it was a guide/outfitter's trail. The Tahltan used to hunt marmots up there, and there's lots of them in that country. Guess you could call them game!?

I would wait for some more specific info before looking for that "trail".

Jamiko
09-01-2011, 11:29 PM
I insist! it is there, but not up conglomerate creek. Punch in the lat and long into google earth and you will see the approximate location. I had also gone up conglomerate creek looking for the tahltan trail the year previous (it was on the map wrong). I went up the left side of conglomerate instead, also an ugly walk to start, then turned up the first hanging valley going left. in 2 days we saw lots of caribou, goats and marmot but then got chased out by a large griz in the alpine :(

The next year i was more persistent and found the real trail but the local natives camping at the head of the trail were not excited about me heading up it. I spent the trip worried about my truck.

fusion
09-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks Jamiko and 40 incher. Grizz, caribou & goat is a good thing. What about sheep? Cheers

Philcott
09-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Not much definition from g-earth in that area. Big mountains though.

Buck
09-10-2011, 01:03 PM
There is no trail where it shows on the map at 101 k there is a quad trail at 91 k right near the native hunting camp.We were warned not to leave the vehicle in sight in that area.There is another large native camp at aprox 110k.We spent alot of time looking for the Thaltan trail where it indicates on the map to no avail.It is bush wacking through dense spruce forest to get to the alpine in that area.Tetsia creek is also tough as there was a forest fire and it is all blow down till the mountain.Some of the closer spots to the hills are blowdown then very steep climbs.Remember you can't hunt till you reach height of land and that is no picnic around there.