PDA

View Full Version : Puntzi Lake Moose?

russm86
09-01-2011, 10:48 AM
My group got a couple draws for 5-12A in the Puntzi Lake area. This was actually our second choice in the LEH and we have never hunted this area before. Any tips or hints in hunting this area? Good, bad, or otherwise for moose in this area? Any specific spots or areas that may be good or atleast worth keeping an eye on?

srupp
09-01-2011, 12:24 PM
LOTS of pressure from Fn there..they are particularly flexing their muscle because of reintroduction of Fish lake Mine effort..some GREAT areas for moose..

send a ph #..one lake recently flew over in chop-per had 4 bulls w/i 1/4 km of the lake..I wont publish spots on the general forum.

cheers
Steven

silvicon
09-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Too many wolves, FN's in that area, no moose to speak of.
Steven's post should be taken with a grain of salt.
Going there is asking for trouble!

tinhorse
09-01-2011, 06:16 PM
If it is the late draw a ton of moose will move down off the mountains into the shrub/swamp areas. Access in that area is tough in some parts but there are many hidden wagon paths for quads that will lead to fields and swamps. Lots of moose in the area. If you put in time to scout it out you shouldn't have a problem getting one.

papaken
09-04-2011, 05:53 AM
If it is the late draw a ton of moose will move down off the mountains into the shrub/swamp areas. Access in that area is tough in some parts but there are many hidden wagon paths for quads that will lead to fields and swamps. Lots of moose in the area. If you put in time to scout it out you shouldn't have a problem getting one.

You might want to check the regs as I think all of MU 5-12 is closed to the use of ATV's and Snowmobiles for hunting Sept. 1 - Dec. 5. There are also some Vehicle road closures as well.

09-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Silvicon is trying to get you to stay out, don't believe it. There ARE Moose there and in numbers, you'll just have to work for it ! And the ever lasting issue of F/N thinking they are above everyone else might come into play, be careful and take pictures or recordings if you have too. No different then what happens in the Inginika area of 7-39. You have rights to hunt the area, some times they just make it not as enjoyable.
Use google earth to figure out the meadows and swamps, call in the rut, work hard and you'll do alright.

Good luck to you

CT

srupp
09-04-2011, 08:48 AM
not so many years ago in the late season I flew over one of the lakes and counted over 100 moose in a wintering willow area..

there may be wolve..they are everywhere in the Cariboo Chilcotin..there are a lot of F/NS in the west area of our region..most all with the privileged princess syndrome..wanting , demanding, pouting and shouting they want everything...

Be respectful, camp in well viewed areas however hunt 1/4 km from the rds..you will find moose and not natives..go get your moose...

Dont know what "take what Steven says with a grain of salt?? I speak the truth without fear or favour..always...

cheers and good hunting...

Steven

young hunter
06-25-2018, 09:41 AM
Hi, Steven:

I got a leh moose draw for oct1-14 in 512a, I never hunted there before, any helo will be great, thank you very much in advance. alex

not so many years ago in the late season I flew over one of the lakes and counted over 100 moose in a wintering willow area..

there may be wolve..they are everywhere in the Cariboo Chilcotin..there are a lot of F/NS in the west area of our region..most all with the privileged princess syndrome..wanting , demanding, pouting and shouting they want everything...

Be respectful, camp in well viewed areas however hunt 1/4 km from the rds..you will find moose and not natives..go get your moose...

Dont know what "take what Steven says with a grain of salt?? I speak the truth without fear or favour..always...

cheers and good hunting...

Steven

HappyJack
06-25-2018, 01:04 PM
Too many wolves, FN's in that area, no moose to speak of.
Steven's post should be taken with a grain of salt.
Going there is asking for trouble!

Some people go out looking for altercations, trashed camps and slashed tires.....there may be moose but sure not worth the grief and the powers that be won't do anything about it either except charge you and drag you through court IF you have to protect yourself or your gear. Not worth going there in my books, sort of like Surrey.

srupp
06-25-2018, 03:00 PM
Hi, Steven:

I got a leh moose draw for oct1-14 in 512a, I never hunted there before, any helo will be great, thank you very much in advance. alex

Send pm with ph number I will call you.
Steven

russm86
06-25-2018, 06:58 PM
Good luck is all I can say... We hunted it hard... never saw a single moose and only 1 buck with 2 does. Shot the buck, it was the only thing we got with 5 guys hunting for 2 weeks. Found dozens and dozens of moose sheds though. I'm assuming they move into the area in December or January once the snow piles up higher in the mountains and they winter in there. That would explain why the counts and # of tags are so high because they are all in there when the biologists or whoever do the counts in the winter. The rest of the year they aren't anywhere near there. Lots of native camps around too but we didn't have any troubles, though we stayed at one of the fishing resorts on the lake.

young hunter
06-27-2018, 08:29 AM
thanks russm86,
so there are mooses, just disapear in oct? move to higher mountains? unreachable without atv?
did you guys get off trucks?
we are going to set up camp, will we have trouble with natives?(what you think?) as you stay at the resorts
tks again

russm86
06-27-2018, 08:39 AM
thanks russm86,
so there are mooses, just disapear in oct? move to higher mountains? unreachable without atv?
did you guys get off trucks?
we are going to set up camp, will we have trouble with natives?(what you think?) as you stay at the resorts
tks again

There may be a few resident moose, assuming the FN don't get them, but majority just winter in there otherwise they live up in the higher stuff probably march to november/december, not just october, then all the moose from the surrounding high country come down into the lower swamplands around puntzi for 3 months or so. We walked, we called, we drove, the only thing we didn't try was a boat, though I don't think it was quite the rut when we were there so calling was unproductive, then again, there needs to be moose around to call... I don't even remember seeing any FN when we were there, may have been too early for them quite yet, just lots and lots of old FN camps.

young hunter
06-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Send pm with ph number I will call you.
Steven
Hi, Steven:

pm sent with my cel no.

tks,
alex

young hunter
06-27-2018, 09:49 AM
thank you russm86

There may be a few resident moose, assuming the FN don't get them, but majority just winter in there otherwise they live up in the higher stuff probably march to november/december, not just october, then all the moose from the surrounding high country come down into the lower swamplands around puntzi for 3 months or so. We walked, we called, we drove, the only thing we didn't try was a boat, though I don't think it was quite the rut when we were there so calling was unproductive, then again, there needs to be moose around to call... I don't even remember seeing any FN when we were there, may have been too early for them quite yet, just lots and lots of old FN camps.

pg83
06-27-2018, 06:06 PM
LOTS of pressure from Fn there..they are particularly flexing their muscle because of reintroduction of Fish lake Mine effort..some GREAT areas for moose..

send a ph #..one lake recently flew over in chop-per had 4 bulls w/i 1/4 km of the lake..I wont publish spots on the general forum.

cheers
Steven

Not sure what Fish Lake mine has to do with it as that's in a separate MU although it certainly has the local band out in numbers. I have hunted moose in the Chilcotin for years and will give you my honest opinion: some years are better than others regardless of wolves or natives or whatever else. A couple years ago our group got skunked, last year we were tagged out in 4 days. It's hunting.