PDA

View Full Version : Montbell Sleeping Bags

merch bc
09-01-2011, 10:13 AM
U.L.SUPER SPIRAL DOWN HUGGER #1

Anyone have or use this bag? Any reviews?
I like the lightweight and packability of a mummy bag, but find them to restrictive for a comfortable sleep. Montbell claims these bags stretch and move with you, even allow you to cross your legs. What about water resistance and durability?

bigwhiteys
09-01-2011, 10:18 AM
I know a few guys on here recommend that specific bag and some other Montbell bags, if you do a search for it you should find some info.

Carl

bruin
09-01-2011, 10:18 AM
I've been using one for 2 years. It's been a good bag. Super light, warm enough. It does stretch but not that much. I didn't like the mummy's much in the past either but I have gotten used to them. If you lay there long enough eventually you fall asleep! They're not water proof.
I would recommend them and would buy one again. I suggest you go to a store, climb in one an roll around for a bit. The only person that can tell you if it's comfortable for you is you.

merch bc
09-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Perfect thanks guys.
Seems no one in central Alberta carries them, just a little concerned ordering one direct and finding it doesn't fit.
Bite the bullet I guess. If it doesn't work for me I'm sure it would work for someone in my family.
Just needed some more input. Alot of the hiking/ climbing site reviews are positive.

MattW
09-02-2011, 06:26 PM
I have one of those in a -12 I think. Nice bag, comfy, pretty easy to move around in. It's down though and not water resistant which isn't really an issue if your tent is tight and you use your head.

Sako7
09-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Bought one for last years hunt. Very impressed. Light,small to pack,warm and not restricting. Not sure of the longevity but so far I would highly recommend .

Bighorn hunter
09-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Have one and think it is the most comfortable bag I have ever used. I am fairly wide through the shoulders and have always found mommy bags to be to restrictive, not this bag. Absolutly love it

Cheers
BH

troutseeker
09-02-2011, 08:33 PM
I have one, it's the #1 in long and it's the most comfy mummy bags I've ever owned.

Iron Sighted
09-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Though I don't own one I always hear positive reviews of them, they seem to compare very favorably with the Western Mountaineering bags, but cost a little less. When my down MEC bag is worn out I'll be looking at either the W.M. or the Montbell to replace it. I have a Montbell ultra-light down jacket and pants, they provide excellent insulation for their extremely small and light size(though they are quite fragile and delicate). I often hear that Montbell and W.M. are two of the few widely available companies that produce bags that are true to their temp. ratings.

Rubicon500
09-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Best Sleeping bag ive owned and most comfortable hands down !! A friend has the same one and he feels the same way hence the reason why I purchased it.

Brambles
09-03-2011, 08:00 PM
I have 3 montbell sleeping bags, I love the stretch of them, won't buy another bag

swampthing
09-05-2011, 08:37 AM
I have had one a couple years now. I am 6ft and bought the -10 in the long model. Pretty happy with it. It packs down small and does have some stretch to it. I have only been to -1 in this bag and was slightly cold. A shirt fixed that problem. I keep mine in a waterproof stuff sack in my pack and have waterproof tents. I reccomend this bag. I got mine at a 40% of sale at valhalla pure. They sell online as well.

MattW
09-05-2011, 09:44 PM
I have had one a couple years now. I am 6ft and bought the -10 in the long model. Pretty happy with it. It packs down small and does have some stretch to it. I have only been to -1 in this bag and was slightly cold. A shirt fixed that problem. I keep mine in a waterproof stuff sack in my pack and have waterproof tents. I reccomend this bag. I got mine at a 40% of sale at valhalla pure. They sell online as well.
I also use a waterproof stuff sack, a very worthwhile precaution