PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Question

dad8x
09-01-2011, 08:58 AM
This is my first year with a crossbow and I can't wait to hunt with it. I have a Barnett Penetrator rated at 350fps. I picked up Boltcutter broadheads (150gr) and yesterday bought Gold Tip Lazer II bolts. Are the broadheads too heavy?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Bow Walker
09-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Short answer - NO, they're not too heavy.

You may not be shooting very flat trajectories out past 40 yards, but IMHO, you should not be trying to kill something past 40 yards anyway.

358win
09-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Now get excaliber 150 gr. tips to practice. Good set up. Like Bow Walker said. 40 yds and under.

abbyfireguy
09-08-2011, 08:36 AM
The Gold tips probably have Brass front inserts. I shoot the exact bolt combo and pulled the brass inserts and put aluminum ones in. Better FOC and more consistant shots from my Exocet 200. That is with over 200 shots at 40 and 50 yards.
I am very very impressed with the consistancy of 1.5 inch groups at those distances.

dad8x
09-08-2011, 06:25 PM
They do have brass. That's why I was asking about the weight with 150 gr tips. I'm hitting consistantly out to 40 yds, so the setup should be ok. May try 125's next time tho.

huntwriter
09-08-2011, 07:16 PM
With my crossbow, an Excalibur, I shoot three different weights and brands of arrows and broadheads and I've yet to see a difference in the point of impact. All arrows shot from that crossbow have killed deer. I only shoot 25 to 30 yards with it. I believe, based on my experience, that arrow and broadhead weight is not as critical with a crossbow as it is with a compound bow. Having said that I personally would never go lower than 125 grain broadheads be that crossbow or compound bow, but as long as you stay within the manufactures recommended minimum overall arrow weight for your set up you should be fine no matter what brand and weight of arrow or broadhead you use.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-08-2011, 07:19 PM
LOL .... ok then

Bow Walker
09-08-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm sorry - that's just too funny...........

grizzlydueck
09-08-2011, 08:27 PM
It must be true ...it's on the internet ?

abbyfireguy
09-08-2011, 10:46 PM
But its not true!!! Come on tell him..

fireguy
09-09-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm no expert but the answer to your question is no the weight is not to much, you will just be slowing the speed of your bolt down a little and increasing the kinetic energy a little. The only downside is your tragectory will suffer a little but once you are comfortable with your set up you will have no issues. I don't have the specs on your bolts as far as their weight but if the total weight comes in at the same as the manufactuer specs then it doesn't matter anyhow.
And yes crossbows will do different things with different bolt weights and different broadheads or fieldpoints but like I said before I'm not an expert by any means.

dad8x
09-09-2011, 08:24 AM
What if you go over manufacturers weight recommendations?

fireguy
09-09-2011, 09:14 AM

You will shoot a little slower and the tragectory will be changed.

dad8x
09-09-2011, 09:46 AM
So no harm to the crossbow. I guess I'm set then. Thanks again for your input.

Bow Walker
09-09-2011, 10:54 AM

You will shoot a little slower and the tragectory will be changed.

Just don't go under factory specs.

huntwriter
09-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Just for the sake of information
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/huntwriter/target.jpg

I shot this group of arrows last week. There are three arrows in all but only two show on the picture.

All arrows are shot at a distance of 35 yards using 30 yard pin. Notice that they are all a little to the right due to quite heavy crosswind.

Top arrow: 31" long, broadhead Thuderhead 125 grain.
Middle arrow: 28" long, broadhead Muzzy 100 grain.
Lower arrow, which is not visible: 30" long, broadhead Magnus II, used to be 125 grain but re-sharpening it for many years may have reduced actual weight to 120 or even 115 grain.

Now tell me is there anywhere a noticeable difference of the two arrows in the point of impact?
Both arrows are of different length and different weight and different weight broadheads. The only thing these arrows have in common is that they have been shot from the same bow and the same distance.

fireguy
09-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Two things wrong with your example.

First we are talking about crossbows and not bows
Second I actually see a difference in the shots and at 50 yards this might be quite noticeable. Human error might be influencing this as well, to the good or bad.

not to mention it makes a difference in what you are flinging your arrows or bolts with, if you are using a PSE omen for instance, there shouldn't be much difference but if you are using your old bear bow from 1983, there probably will. The same can be said for crossbows and as there is such a vast difference out there my suggestion would be to use the same stuff you practice with when you hunt and not have a mix of things with you.

huntwriter
09-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Two things wrong with your example.

First we are talking about crossbows and not bows
Second I actually see a difference in the shots and at 50 yards this might be quite noticeable. Human error might be influencing this as well, to the good or bad.

With a crossbow the difference is even less noticeable. I've shot different arrows and weights with my crossbow and it looks the same.
It's quite possible that a longer distances, say past 50 yards, a difference occurs, but as I stated in an earlier post my limit is 30 yards in a hunting situation, preferably much closer.

not to mention it makes a difference in what you are flinging your arrows or bolts with, if you are using a PSE omen for instance, there shouldn't be much difference but if you are using your old bear bow from 1983, there probably will. You will be surprised to learn that I shot that group with an old Jennings Buckmaster. I never measured the speed of that bow but I am sure it can not be more that 230 fps. It makes even less difference with my new PSE and Matthew bows or my crossbow, all shooting close to 300fps.

my suggestion would be to use the same stuff you practice with when you hunt and not have a mix of things with you.These are the arrows I hunt with. But you're right in that it is ideal to shoot with all matching arrows, I am just to greedy :) and so I often use my old arrows. There are also a few arrows in my hunting quiver that I go emotionally attached to because I shot a lot of deer with them and continue to do so, they are my "lucky arrows". The point I wanted to prove is that in a hunting situation pin-point accuracy is not that important as long the arrows hit consistently within a 6" circle, the average kill zone of a deer sized game animal.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-10-2011, 09:13 AM
put your gear into a shooting machine ... you will notice a differance .... however at 30 yards they will all be inside a pie plate so as far as you are concerned its all good ....

Most people strive for better accuracy than that of an area weapon tho

and to be honest ... a heavy(500 ish grain) arrow going 230 at best ... out of that old of a bow ... with a 30 yard pin at 35 yards ... ... you were not holding in the middle of the dot to still stay in the black

Bigbear
09-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Maybe this Fellow could Have an archery seminar and Invite all us fairly knowledgeable people, and give us his Expert view and demonstrations on the subject. I would be willing to go, and also see all his trophy's as well, Wouldn't you.

Bow Walker
09-10-2011, 09:33 AM
But - I don't think I'd be willing to pay what would be charge for such a seminar........

huntwriter
09-10-2011, 12:52 PM
put your gear into a shooting machine ... you will notice a differance .... however at 30 yards they will all be inside a pie plate so as far as you are concerned its all good ....

Most people strive for better accuracy than that of an area weapon tho

True most people do strive for better accuracy. But is it needed just to kill a deer? Back in the days when I guided bowhunters I’ve seen many frustrated, and one near tears, because they couldn’t hit a dime at 50 yards. These good people would spend many hours at the range behind my camp fretting, cussing, tuning, cussing more, adjusting, a lot more cussing, changing gear, until they finally achieved to hit a dime at 50 yards or gave up because they had to go hunting.

and to be honest ... a heavy(500 ish grain) arrow going 230 at best ... out of that old of a bow ... with a 30 yard pin at 35 yards ... ... you were not holding in the middle of the dot to still stay in the black Held dead centre of the black. Maybe the bow is a little faster then I thought. I don’t know. I never shot it through chronograph, have never done and never will see the need to do it.

Maybe this Fellow could Have an archery seminar and Invite all us fairly knowledgeable people, and give us his Expert view and demonstrations on the subject. I would be willing to go, and also see all his trophy's as well, Wouldn't you.

You can come to my seminars and courses.
Due to the huge success this spring the following course will be repeated at the Merritt Civic Centre. The Complete Bowhunting course, December 5, 6, 7 and 12.

March 2 – 4 BC Boat and Sportsmen’s Show, Tradex, Abbotsford. Seminar topics: Attracting Whitetail Deer with Calls and Scent / The Most Common Whitetail Rut Myths Debunked.

So far these are the confirmed BC and Canada dates. There are more in Illinois, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky and possibly in Alberta and Ontario but that might be to far to travel for hunters from BC.

To see my trophies you might have to travel quite a bit. Some of my bucks and turkey mounts are displayed at the Bass-Pro Shop in Gurnee Mills, Illinois -unless they moved them to another store location-, various taxidermy and outdoor sport shops in Illinois, Alabama, Texas and Iowa. Others are with outfitters and lodges that I served as a guide, consultant or stayed as a guest.

You see, personally I do not get great satisfaction of hanging antlers, mounts and trophies on the wall – All they do is collect dust and need time to be cared for - so if they are nice and someone wants them for decoration they can have them, of course they also have to pay the taxidermist. I am just a hunter, not a collector of mementos. I enjoy the thrill and challenge of the hunt, but when the animal is shot it’s over and I move on to the next.

Bow Walker
09-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Now there is something that Othmar and I totally agree on. I have never had the urge to get any taxidermy done.

I'd rather have a photo than a dust collector hanging on my wall.