PDA

View Full Version : 8-8 Grizzly??????????

adamgarbett
08-30-2011, 09:31 PM
I was talking to a friend today (my hunting mentor, Knows his S#it) and he told me he seen a grizz up in 8-8 by crystal mtn on kelownas westside down a FSR we call "yellow gate". Ive heard of a couple other odd ball grizz sightings lately. In Winfield,Rock Creek, aswell as up behind Summerland.

Has anyone elts seen any grizz in any of these areas.

My buddy as i said knows his stuff and I.D. this Grizz thru his binos at what he said was 75 yards and had a long enough look to pass the binos to his old lady and then got another good look himself.......Dark up to its shoulders then blonde along its back

Another fella i ran into last spring said there have been grizz relocated behind Peachland and Summerland deep in the sticks and were kept pretty hush hush? Has anyone elts heard of this.

Thanx and I look forward to hearing your thoughts but please keep them to yourselfs if your just gunna talk smack :-D

steveo44
08-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Not surprised.I have heard of a few people seeing them in that area.

My parents have seen them south of Merritt while out quadding,around the Larson hill exit.

mark
08-30-2011, 09:46 PM
That yellow gate is a quad ride from my place, while ive never seen any grizz sign it sure doesnt surprise me either......I saw one out past terrace mtn a couple years back

Red_Mist
08-30-2011, 09:53 PM
There is grizz near winfield....

adamgarbett
08-30-2011, 10:04 PM
That yellow gate is a quad ride from my place, while ive never seen any grizz sign it sure doesnt surprise me either......I saw one out past terrace mtn a couple years back

I wonder where they are coming in from, or really being relocated? Some nice game close to home:)

Glenny
08-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Spent some years in Logan Lake and saw 2 Griz close ro town on a couple occasions. Not really Griz country but they are there.

adamgarbett
08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Spent some years in Logan Lake and saw 2 Griz close ro town on a couple occasions. Not really Griz country but they are there.

Thats cool. Im working in Logan all next week, might just have to take a couple of cruises into the sticks after work

bighornbob
08-30-2011, 10:33 PM
My dad saw one a few years ago up Goudie far (8-10 and 2 minutes from kelowna).
A couple years later I found a dead one up by postil lake. I phoned it in and the COs knew about it. I guess a guy shot a deer and the bear claimed it before he was able to get to it (I assume he went to get help or something). He shot it when it would not leave. He phoned it in and was charged by the COs.

So yes they are around.

BHB

Glenny
08-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Thats cool. Im working in Logan all next week, might just have to take a couple of cruises into the sticks after work

Great country. Endless FSRs, good hunting and fishing area, enjoy.

troutseeker
08-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Saw one near the Beak a couple years ago. They certainly are around.

walks with deer
08-30-2011, 11:22 PM
seen a sow and cuns in 8-8 at 15 yards while on foot i know they are there for a fact.

adamgarbett
08-30-2011, 11:28 PM
seen a sow and cuns in 8-8 at 15 yards while on foot i know they are there for a fact.

where in 8-8?

dave_fras
08-31-2011, 04:53 AM
mark me and my gf watch a grizz up there this past spring while bear hunting!.. the guy didnt even care that we were there!.... and ya winfield has them... there was one in a guys orchard a couple summers ago too!... i think that was oyama tho

adamgarbett
08-31-2011, 06:12 AM
mark me and my gf watch a grizz up there this past spring while bear hunting!.. the guy didnt even care that we were there!.... and ya winfield has them... there was one in a guys orchard a couple summers ago too!... i think that was oyama tho

Where is up there?

bcbooner
08-31-2011, 06:22 AM
Seen a nice Grizz on the shore of Flyfish lake a few years ago while we were Fishing.Bear was cruzing the shore line,we were able to get within 70 yrds for a good look.Also seen a big boar that was shot near OK Falls around 15 years ago.

mgnm300
08-31-2011, 06:24 AM
The grizz that was caught on camera in an orchard in Oyama was taken on my trail cam. i reported the incident to the local co office which in turn ended up making news in the local paper

Stone Sheep Steve
08-31-2011, 07:58 AM
Saw one on Mt Miller in the spring a few yrs ago while looking for blackies. Saw him 2 consecutive weeks. Cool colored bear...looked like a wolverine. Just a couple of kms below Crystal.

Saw another near Cresent Lake above Peachland in the late 90's.

SSS

Amphibious
08-31-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanx and I look forward to hearing your thoughts but please keep them to yourselfs if your just gunna talk smack :-D

talk smack? not gonna listen to no jibbajabba from some baby face jive turkey! 'yourselfs' lol. i love this site.

there are grizz all over BC, and many in the kelowna area. I saw one near beaver lake last year, see sign out towards big white fairly often. when people get out of their trucks on off the quads and move around all quiet like you seem to see more of them (i know, strange notion)

Mountain Man
08-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Grizzly sightings anywhere in reg 8 should never come as a surprise !!!!
I have well over 20 grizzlies on video in the last 10 years here !

The densities are higher in some area's of reg 8 but dont be surprised to see them anywhere at any time in this region.

Fisher-Dude
08-31-2011, 12:14 PM
The grizz that was caught on camera in an orchard in Oyama was taken on my trail cam. i reported the incident to the local co office which in turn ended up making news in the local paper

Had a grizz in the 70s chase a hiefer right up to the truck on the Oyama Lake road. The bear bolts over the bank, and the stupid cow, now saved by our truck, decides to run into the bush right behind the bear!

Saw a sow with 2 cubs in the Christian 2 years ago, and have seen piles of sign in the Greystokes. Fish egg guy at Beaver Lake told me about a monster boar that was always in the fish traps on Alex Creek.

Marlin375
08-31-2011, 12:39 PM
The name "Kelowna" comes from the Colville-Okanagan Salish (First Nations) name for Grizzly Bear....so they have been here for awhile.

Fishhound
08-31-2011, 01:45 PM
There is a huge boar wandering in the Beaver/Oyama Lake area for quite awhile

wsm
08-31-2011, 05:27 PM
a friend that camps near eanas lk park said he'd seen 1 up there

adamgarbett
08-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanx guys... cool to hear your stories. I never thought that there would be grizzlys this close to home, kinda cool.

Have fun out there!

aj1493
09-02-2011, 01:05 PM
last year i seen one up the little white area

Glassman
09-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Saw a sow and 2 cubs on a logging road off of Esperon. All three of us watched them for 5 minutes from about 200 yards. They kept standing on their hind legs looking at us. Mommas back almost looked mossy green. I thought the cubs looked like regular bears until I saw the sow next to the 2 cubs and then thought "wow, she is big"

walks with deer
09-07-2011, 12:44 PM
seen 2 in kamloops in the same season 1 in the big burn and 1 big boar killed the farmers cow.

They are really widespread they are even in mission and squamish my rental in squamish had one on the roof.

Never suprised were you see the old g bear.

calvin L
09-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I walked in a set of one of the best grizz tracks I have ever seen . above west bank / kelowna And I could see the Micky D with the bare eye . No not the Brown eye

BigfishCanada
09-08-2011, 11:39 AM
One was walking down June springs road a few years back