PDA

View Full Version : What do you put in your wind detector?

Ogopogo
08-30-2011, 09:19 PM
I've got a empty visine bottle I use and have just put contruction chalk line chalk in it, but I'm wondering if that may throw a smell out there that may not be good, just wondering what you guys may use, I've heard of cornstarch and talcum powder as well, any input?

fireguy
08-30-2011, 09:22 PM
I lick my finger and hold it up in the air to see which way the wind is blowing or drop a little dust, snow, or grass and see which way it goes. Perhaps I'm to old school to use a wind detector or just don't want yet another gaget hanging off me while I'm hunting.

peashooter
08-30-2011, 09:29 PM
If the chalk is detected by a deer it probably had your odor pegged already a long time ago. I think human odor equals danger, the chalk if it stinks any, might not be perceived as much of a threat. Just one guys goofy rational.

Stéphane
08-30-2011, 09:45 PM
I lick my finger and hold it up in the air to see which way the wind is blowing or drop a little dust, snow, or grass and see which way it goes. Perhaps I'm to old school to use a wind detector or just don't want yet another gaget hanging off me while I'm hunting.
Like that! Why not, if it works, I say keep doin' it.

mark
08-30-2011, 09:49 PM
wet a finger, flick a lighter on for a second, drop some dust, or feel the breeze....never felt the need for the lil dust bottle!

todbartell
08-30-2011, 09:57 PM
I splurge the $5 every year and buy the primos one, it's cool to see the wind swirl around

digger dogger
08-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Corn starch.. It also helps for BSTL (bag stuck to leg)

Steeleco
08-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Baby powder, don't use enough for the smell to be an issue.

Mr. Dean
08-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Tang.

What can I say; I like Vodka when the Tequila bottle dries up.

elkdom
08-30-2011, 11:57 PM
a nice FAT Havana Cigar provides a good indication of even the very slightest of breeze, the gentle but cool wafting smoke from the Cuban STOGY can sometimes be watched for several hundred feet, slowly drifting with the updrafts and the downdrafts,,,,:mrgreen:

Bow Walker
08-31-2011, 10:02 AM
digger dogger has got it right imho. Cornstarch is the best. Doesn't smell. Doesn't harm the environment. Does the job very well.

Piperdown
08-31-2011, 11:30 AM
bic lighter, god for starting a fire too :)

huntwriter
09-01-2011, 09:22 PM
I've got a empty visine bottle I use and have just put contruction chalk line chalk in it, but I'm wondering if that may throw a smell out there that may not be good, just wondering what you guys may use, I've heard of cornstarch and talcum powder as well, any input?

I also use a visine bottle but filled with non-scented talcum powder. Chalk line chalk works just as good. No need to worry about the scent it may give off. In order to spook from a smell the deer has to associate it with danger. If every hunter would use chalk line you probably would have something to worry about, but that is not the case here.

Marlin375
09-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Nothing works better than 10inches of hip-chain thread tied to your stubby stabilizer or your sling swivel.
Always on. Zero movement on your part.......well except for your eyeballs.
And there is literally miles of it out in the woods already, so you will never run-out. I keep a spare piece under my scope cap.