PDA

View Full Version : Regs Clarification

russm86
08-30-2011, 01:20 PM
This will be my first bow season, though I'm technically hunting with a crossbow, which brings me to my question. Anyone know exactly what they mean in the regs about it being"Unlawful to carry a "cocked" crossbow in or on a vehicle"?? More precisely the "cocked" part... Do they mean cocked as with drawn and with a bolt "noched" or just simply not allowed to even have it drawn in the vehicle? Anyone know?

rocksteady
08-30-2011, 01:23 PM
If the string is drawn back and held, ready for a bolt to be placed in..it is "cocked"...

Singleshotneeded
08-30-2011, 01:27 PM
No bolt in place is necessary, if the string is back and ready to shoot once a bolt has been placed, it's cocked
and you'll get a nasty ticket if a warden sees it... I know, I don't get it either, if safety is the object, what's
the crossbow going to fire if there's no bolt in place, if you accidentally pull the trigger?

Bowzone_Mikey
08-30-2011, 01:30 PM
its to protect yourself from yourself .... same reason why you cant have a loaded firearm in yer truck

rocksteady
08-30-2011, 01:49 PM
No bolt in place is necessary, if the string is back and ready to shoot once a bolt has been placed, it's cocked
and you'll get a nasty ticket if a warden sees it... I know, I don't get it either, if safety is the object, what's
the crossbow going to fire if there's no bolt in place, if you accidentally pull the trigger?

It is not there for your safety, it is there to discourage people from shooting an animal from inside a vehicle...Maybe an ethical issue with some...

Vader
08-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Parently some have never seen an improperly handled crossbow go off without a bolt in it.. rather amusing, as long as you're not on the receiving end..

russm86
08-30-2011, 03:24 PM
That's what I kidna figured they meant but figured I'd double check. I can imagine some people not following that though. I mean they prolly think that if they see a CO they will just dry fire it in the vehicle, lol. Although I'm not sure many people like that would be into bow and crossbow hunting anyways.

r0adki1l
08-30-2011, 03:49 PM
It is not there for your safety, it is there to discourage people from shooting an animal from inside a vehicle...Maybe an ethical issue with some...

Not just ethical... Family friend eons ago had a loaded rifle in the cab and when he went to pull it out over himself the gun fired shooting him in the upper leg... Yes very stupid but stupidity is out there...

500grhollowpoint
08-30-2011, 04:22 PM
I agree with Vader. A crossbow without a bolt being fired could still hurt you pretty bad in an enclosed space....

abbyfireguy
08-31-2011, 08:42 AM
I had the same question as I too will be using my new Excalibur soon. Cocked means string stretched and hooked in the latches. Doesn't mean loaded with an arrow(bolt).That's what the CO said.

guntech
09-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Cocked is cocked.

Loaded is when a bolt is in place.

If the regulations state 'cocked' they are referring to the string being drawn back and held in tension by the trigger. It has nothing to do whether a bolt is in place or not.