PDA

View Full Version : Are you a baby bull or a big bull?

Mikey Rafiki
08-30-2011, 08:47 AM
A Dink or a Pisscutter?

Just wondering what your strategy is for bugling elk.

Do you pretend to be a big old herd bull trying to steal cows and scare off the inferior bulls? Or do you play the young bull who happened to sneak himself a few cows, hoping that a big boy will come in to scare you off?

(2 more sleeps!)

mark
08-30-2011, 09:06 AM
I start my calling pretty gentle, not to aggressive, once I get a bull going, I try to mimic what he's doing, seems to work for me!

elkdom
08-30-2011, 09:15 AM
depending on the circumstances, I am prepared to make an assortment of elk sounds, bulls ,cows, calves an at times having had as many as 5 bugling Bull elk within 75 yards of me, in bush so thick you cant see any of them until they are just 10 or 15 yards from you, a variation of elk sounds/calls is very productive,,,,,,,,,,,,

markt308
08-30-2011, 09:35 AM
I usually start with some cow calling and go from there

BlacktailStalker
08-30-2011, 10:44 AM
I usually find my bulls with a locate bugle.
I cut the distance in half and mew while I go.
If he doesn't get excited and hasnt bugled since I last bugled I will bugle him again and if he fires right back its on.
If he's bugling to my mews I'll keep moving closer and hold up, coaxing him in.
If he holds up I'll use some slutty mews and if that still doesnt bring him in (or out) I'll mix in a spike squeal with the mews to make him think its an unclaimed herd with estrous cows. If that still doesnt work I'll let loose with a challenge bugle because if he isnt looking to get laid, a challenge is your last resort.

If whatever I do works first, I'll keep doing it if he is coming in steady. If he is going away, he likely has cows (often they will group up their harem and push them away from another bull) and run in and get in his personal "space" and challenge him. Any dominant bull (legal 6) will usually retaliate and come busting in (THE most exciting thing)

Its EASY to intimidate and shut a bull up, as well as educate him. Just cuz you find one doesnt mean you have to (or can) kill him the same day especially when hunting thick or unfavourable country.

If I know where there is an undisturbed herd, I wont do any calling and I will sit and wait for them to come out in the evening or heading up to bed in the a.m from water.
Unbothered elk are pretty easy to pattern unless they're changing locations.

Before all this I gain elevation and glass glass glass and cover ground looking for active sign to determine where I will hunt.

rocksteady
08-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Variety is the spice of elk hunting...

I pack a bugle, 3 reeds (big/medium/small) 2 hootchie mamas, 1 baby hootchie....

Change things up as necessary to meet the desired end results...bull on the ground...

todbartell
08-30-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm generally a rinky dink bull. I think you'll have better success imitating an immature bull trying to get in on the action.

proguide66
08-30-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm a dirty whore slutbag cow..........the whole time

Mikey Rafiki
08-31-2011, 08:15 AM
I'm a dirty whore slutbag cow..........the whole time

Awesome!

I too will be keeping it cowy most of the time for bow season as I just want to get any bull on the ground. I will also be using my mouth reed for freestyle baby bull chirps and squeels.

Although, if confronted by a dominant bull, I will certainly get as big and mean as I have to.

Ourea
08-31-2011, 10:55 AM
I usually find my bulls with a locate bugle.
I cut the distance in half and mew while I go.
If he doesn't get excited and hasnt bugled since I last bugled I will bugle him again and if he fires right back its on.
If he's bugling to my mews I'll keep moving closer and hold up, coaxing him in.
If he holds up I'll use some slutty mews and if that still doesnt bring him in (or out) I'll mix in a spike squeal with the mews to make him think its an unclaimed herd with estrous cows. If that still doesnt work I'll let loose with a challenge bugle because if he isnt looking to get laid, a challenge is your last resort.

If whatever I do works first, I'll keep doing it if he is coming in steady. If he is going away, he likely has cows (often they will group up their harem and push them away from another bull) and run in and get in his personal "space" and challenge him. Any dominant bull (legal 6) will usually retaliate and come busting in (THE most exciting thing)

Its EASY to intimidate and shut a bull up, as well as educate him. Just cuz you find one doesnt mean you have to (or can) kill him the same day especially when hunting thick or unfavourable country.

If I know where there is an undisturbed herd, I wont do any calling and I will sit and wait for them to come out in the evening or heading up to bed in the a.m from water.
Unbothered elk are pretty easy to pattern unless they're changing locations.

Before all this I gain elevation and glass glass glass and cover ground looking for active sign to determine where I will hunt.

BlacktailStalker has got the program dialed ....