PDA

View Full Version : Scouting tips...

Phoenixmc
08-29-2011, 09:55 PM
I'd like to try to pick out a new area due to the fact that we never seem to get loads of success where we go. Probably a big reason for that is the fact I'm on Van Island so scouting our spots in the interior is tough. I've always wanted to try the Penticton-Princton area but if you can't physically scout how best to research?

I've heard a few things like wildlife surveys that show games number in MU's. Topo maps, record books that show where animals are being taken. Where can you find some of this info and do you have any other tips??? Thanks.

RoscoeT
08-30-2011, 08:16 AM
I like the google earth program (not to be confused with google maps). You can get a good 3D look at the area and see cover. If you're lucky and the area has detailed imagery (not all google earth locations have the same detail of satellite picture) you can even see what look to be trails, sometimes even bigger game trails. You can see cut lines and other useful stuff.

You can even link that application to your GPS device and mark way points and tracks.

yzchamp
08-30-2011, 09:38 AM
problem with google earth is that images are 5 years old.. so some clear cuts are not as they appear ..:) Very good starting point though.

RoscoeT
08-31-2011, 07:49 AM
problem with google earth is that images are 5 years old.. so some clear cuts are not as they appear ..:) Very good starting point though.

Oh yeah I did not mention that part. But I've nothing better for armchair scouting IMO. The internet is truly a gift to the sportsman.

hellojello74
08-31-2011, 08:24 AM
I have also found that Bing maps will sometimes have much better resolution than Google earth in certain areas, just food for thought.