PDA

View Full Version : Nyland Lk Camp vs Maud Lake Camp

ravensfoot
08-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Planning on a moose hunt up in the Cariboo. Narrowed down to two camps. Nyland and Maud. Never been to either one. Wondering for those that have which one is a nicer camp. I am dragging my 30' travel trailer up there.

LYKTOHUNT
08-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Nyland is the better camp as it has better spots for the trailer especially a larger one, they are both nice but maude lake has really only one or maybe two spots to accomadate a large trailer.Maude is not far from Nyland so you should maybe spend some time out that way hunting. What time of year are you planning for?

KB90
08-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Nyland would be better for your 30ft trailer, there both close to each other so location isn't an issue.

But make sure you hunt the sunberg road ;)

todbartell
08-29-2011, 09:41 PM
camped at Nyland a few years back, was a good camp

srupp
08-29-2011, 09:48 PM
raining like HELL out here tonite....seems like bullwinkles are closer down to Maude....lol MUCH closer...

cheers

and bring rain gear

steven

ravensfoot
08-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Planning on the Sept 24 week. Will bring the Slickers HAHA and some good mud tires.
Thanks for the input

srupp
08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
its good and cold out there tonight should be even cooler up there...great news...get water levels dropping and animals moving..

calling for frost overnight in some Cariboo areas..

give me a call Greg....

cheers

srr

Tarp Man
08-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Make sure you plan to take your time getting in there, as the gravel road after Gravelle Ferry crossing on the Quesnel River gets pretty chewed up. There is one switchback in particular that you will be in 4WD to drag a trailer that big up. Also it is an active hauling road, so keep that in mind for driving up there during hauling hours. Maud Lake was better for fishing, but Nyland was definitely better for camping. It is always a good sign to pull into a Forest Rec Site and see meat poles hanging everywhere! One more reason to love living in the Cariboo!

LYKTOHUNT
08-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Make sure you plan to take your time getting in there, as the gravel road after Gravelle Ferry crossing on the Quesnel River gets pretty chewed up. There is one switchback in particular that you will be in 4WD to drag a trailer that big up. Also it is an active hauling road, so keep that in mind for driving up there during hauling hours. Maud Lake was better for fishing, but Nyland was definitely better for camping. It is always a good sign to pull into a Forest Rec Site and see meat poles hanging everywhere! One more reason to love living in the Cariboo!
Yes the meat pole thing is a good thing to see and I take pride in having something to do with putting most of them over time, even though someone takes them down we put them right back up

ravensfoot
08-31-2011, 09:21 PM
I was planning on going the Quesnel route. I wasn't aware that there was a ferry crossing. I think I may stick with the bridge route to limit any difficult spots. Trailer is pretty heavy loaded up with the quads.

TPK
08-31-2011, 09:33 PM
The "Gravelle Ferry" crossing is the old name, it is the bridge off of Hydraulic Road (turn off Hydraulic onto Bastin and the bridge is only about a click down). If you want, you can go via the Barkerville Hwy. Turn right onto the 500 rd. and take the 500 all the way out. The advantage to this route is you can start road hunting sooner.

The route from Hydraulic brings you onto the 500 Rd at around the 24K mark I think. Nyland is at 36K on the 500 Rd.

lol - and I can vouch for LYKTOHUNT, he really did have a hand in most of those meat poles.

srupp
09-01-2011, 12:30 PM
hmmm some very fine an safe moose poles in that area...actually very well constructed...did you do the 2 @ Maude also??..

cheers

Steven

Tarp Man
09-01-2011, 02:25 PM
I forgot about the access on the main road (500 road). That is a much better option for hauling in a trailer for sure.

LYKTOHUNT
09-01-2011, 02:51 PM
hmmm some very fine an safe moose poles in that area...actually very well constructed...did you do the 2 @ Maude also??..

cheers

Steven
Well if it is me you are refering to, no I have never camped at Maude as the few spots that were ok are always taken and we have always hunted close to Nyland in our honey holes in the timber, when the timber was there.
The deer hunting now is terrible as compared to what it used to be.
If you take a shot up there now in the early morning or just before sunset listen and you will likely hear the wolves really get singing.

ravensfoot
09-13-2011, 05:51 PM
If you want, you can go via the Barkerville Hwy. Turn right onto the 500 rd. and take the 500 all the way out. The advantage to this route is you can start road hunting sooner.

So it's best to go the Barkerville Rd rout VIA Quesnel if i'm hauling a 30 foot travel trailer? I'm coming in from the south and would like to take the most direct rout that is trailer friendly.

KB90
09-13-2011, 06:39 PM
It won't be the more direct route it will add 15/20 minutes to your trip but if hauling a big trailer it is definitely the way I would go to avoid that steep washboard hill. It is a much better road as it is used by the mine and for hauling out logs.

Ben Fougere
09-14-2011, 02:28 AM
The 500rd might be your better bet if you don't think that you can make it up the hill after the bridge. We were up the 500rd a couple of weeks ago and they are definitely hauling out of there as the road is a little chewed up in places. The hill at the gravelle ferry crossing has some washboard on the switchback corner up and is also washed out in two places (the road narrows).

I've already heard of one bull being taken out of Nyland Lake area. Not much game around. We've been out that way about three times this year doing some scouting and haven't seen a thing. Will be heading out thursday as well. Think that I'll have to check out these "meat poles" at Nyland.

XPEIer
09-14-2011, 07:26 AM
reports from Friday were that both camps were completely full, so if you have a bigger unit, you may want to have a plan B, just in case.

xpeier

LYKTOHUNT
09-14-2011, 07:43 AM
The 500rd might be your better bet if you don't think that you can make it up the hill after the bridge. We were up the 500rd a couple of weeks ago and they are definitely hauling out of there as the road is a little chewed up in places. The hill at the gravelle ferry crossing has some washboard on the switchback corner up and is also washed out in two places (the road narrows).

I've already heard of one bull being taken out of Nyland Lake area. Not much game around. We've been out that way about three times this year doing some scouting and haven't seen a thing. Will be heading out thursday as well. Think that I'll have to check out these "meat poles" at Nyland.

This is correct about the road and as far as the bull taken out that is 100% true, trust me I know

KB90
09-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Here are the pictures for LYKTOHUNT.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/moose_24.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/moose_12.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/moose_5.jpg

LYKTOHUNT
09-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks to KB90 for posting pictures of our successful moose hunt.
Santa a member on this site got this moose opening day

srupp
09-14-2011, 09:30 AM
good looking bull...

srr

Jagermeister
09-14-2011, 09:50 AM
What's with the growth on the shoulder of that moose LYKTOHUNT?
I plugged one just to the north in the next watershed over years ago and it had a cyst about the size of a baseball hanging off . The cyst was attached with just a thin ribbon of hide, you could grasp it just like you would a baseball. Aside from that, the moose was fine.
My take on moose hunting in the Nyland/Maude Lakes and the Swift River is that there is always a low number of resident bull moose in the early season. Then bull moose mysteriously appear in greater numbers once there have been a few dumps of snow in the Cariboo Mountains.
I don't think I would want to attempt hauling a 30' trailer up the hill off the Gravelle bridge. That route is a short cut for empty logging trucks going out for a load, these trucks are the ones that create the nice washboard. The loaded logging trucks are not allowed to use the Gravelle bridge because of load restrictions. With a 30' trailer, it would even be dicey to go down that hill and make the turn at the bottom.

LYKTOHUNT
09-14-2011, 10:02 AM
What's with the growth on the shoulder of that moose LYKTOHUNT?
I plugged one just to the north in the next watershed over years ago and it had a cyst about the size of a baseball hanging off . The cyst was attached with just a thin ribbon of hide, you could grasp it just like you would a baseball. Aside from that, the moose was fine.
My take on moose hunting in the Nyland/Maude Lakes and the Swift River is that there is always a low number of resident bull moose in the early season. Then bull moose mysteriously appear in greater numbers once there have been a few dumps of snow in the Cariboo Mountains.
I don't think I would want to attempt hauling a 30' trailer up the hill off the Gravelle bridge. That route is a short cut for empty logging trucks going out for a load, these trucks are the ones that create the nice washboard. The loaded logging trucks are not allowed to use the Gravelle bridge because of load restrictions. With a 30' trailer, it would even be dicey to go down that hill and make the turn at the bottom.
Not sure what that kullywunker is on the moose but it was only on the hide, nothing on the meat, as far as the road and trailers go we haul our trailers up and down there all the time, however they are not 30' mine is a 20 ' and my buddys is about 24-26'. I just put in 4x4 at the bottom of what they call the bypass as you have to go pretty slow up that short wash board hill with a sharp right hand turn. It would not be all that much fun spinning out going up there. Most of the road right now is pretty good

KB90
09-14-2011, 10:17 AM

We had the november draw one year, and we got a lot of snow early, we hit drummond Flats by the airstrip, and there were moose everywhere!!! Saw something like 15 moose in the one morning, in quite a small area. My dad killed a nice bull, and my unce went in the next day and killed his.

We've had the draw several times but never with the same conditions, we've been in there other years without snow and not seen a thing!

ravensfoot
09-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Gee, if the camps are all full up does anyone have any ideas for a plan B? We'll for sure check out Nyland first but not sure what to do otherwise. Are there any nooks nearby that can accommodate a trailer that would be off the main path? I like to keep my stuff out of sight out of mind. Thanks for the tips on the 500 rd, I will definitely be taking the longer route. 5 more sleeps till im up in the forest, woohoo!!!

srupp
09-19-2011, 10:41 AM
the rains have made things a little mucky...however a lot less dusty...the temp has cooled off dramatically...good news...its looking and feeling like genuine moose weather..lol

went for a drive yesterday with the wife...one grouse..which I missed...and 37 Cailfornia bighorn sheep that Susan thought looked"nice"lol

steven

LYKTOHUNT
09-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Gee, if the camps are all full up does anyone have any ideas for a plan B? We'll for sure check out Nyland first but not sure what to do otherwise. Are there any nooks nearby that can accommodate a trailer that would be off the main path? I like to keep my stuff out of sight out of mind. Thanks for the tips on the 500 rd, I will definitely be taking the longer route. 5 more sleeps till im up in the forest, woohoo!!!
Half a klic before Nyland on the right is the D rd, there will be some spots you could pull a trailer into but not likely well out of sight also about a couple of klics before Nyland is the J rd on the right, there is likely a few more secluded spots up there.
If you do not like anything on those two road systems you could go about 3 or 4 k down the 500 ( which is just after Nyland ) towards the mine on the right is Birrel Creek rd, where there are a few side roads to check out.

ravensfoot
10-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Well, we pulled into Nyland and didn't really like it so we ended up at Maud instead. We got that nice big site at the end on the lake, BEAUTIFUL. No problem pulling trailer up the washboard road after the bridge. A few pot holes on the way into Maud, just had to taker her slow. 6 Bulls taken the week before we arrived. Zero moose seen, first 3 days the wind blew strong, trees crashing everywhere. Next few days calm and tried calling and cow urine, not a single moose or buck seen in entire 7 day trip.

LYKTOHUNT
10-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Well, we pulled into Nyland and didn't really like it so we ended up at Maud instead. We got that nice big site at the end on the lake, BEAUTIFUL. No problem pulling trailer up the washboard road after the bridge. A few pot holes on the way into Maud, just had to taker her slow. 6 Bulls taken the week before we arrived. Zero moose seen, first 3 days the wind blew strong, trees crashing everywhere. Next few days calm and tried calling and cow urine, not a single moose or buck seen in entire 7 day trip.
You were lucky to get the big site at maude, but sorry you were not so lucky with the moose ,but I guess thats why they call it hunting not getting. We were fortunate to fill our 3 moose tags even though we suffered through the hurricanes.

ravensfoot
10-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Yup, it's definitely called hunting and not getting. I just like the getting part of hunting. I'll be out again doing some more hunting very soon, hopefully it turns into getting. Congrats on your 3 bulls, i'm guessing you were in a different area.

LYKTOHUNT
10-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Yup, it's definitely called hunting and not getting. I just like the getting part of hunting. I'll be out again doing some more hunting very soon, hopefully it turns into getting. Congrats on your 3 bulls, i'm guessing you were in a different area.

We were pretty close to you ( about 5k as the crow flies) but we have the advantage of being local and done a fair amount of scouting as well as having hunted out ther for about 25 years is a huge advantage.

ravensfoot
10-03-2011, 12:39 PM
LYKTOHUNT- If you were up there the same time as I was, I think we may have met.