PDA

View Full Version : Good luck charm for rent $$$$$$

squeege
08-29-2011, 07:21 PM
So i have come to the conclusion that my 10 yr old son is my good luck charm. Last year my son and I went hunting for LEH goat in Tumbler and got a goat on the last day of our three day hunt. So I decided this year to go out with him for the opening of sheep and do something a little different that I have on past sheep hunts. Normally I do the usual fly in or the hike my ass off to get to the secret spots. This year I decided to bring the travel trailer up and camp just off the highway and hunt the mountains near the highway and backroads to glass for sheep. Here is the secret spot.......http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1070038.JPG

Well I'll tell you it works wonders cause on our 5 day sheep hunt we spotted 61 sheep and 12 rams that were greater than half curl and we got one that was 36" and 14 1/4 base on the last day of our hunt. Here is the sheep from the secret spot. http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1070032.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1070031.JPG

We took the trailer and found a beautiful campsite right beside the river and could glass right from camp with a coffee, warm fire, a belly full of bacon, eggs and toast.

We spotted the ram on the 3rd day and made a play for him the following day but never found him. On the 5th and final day we spotted him again with 5 others at 4:30am and watched them feed out of sight over the ridge. I said to my son that we better try for him, being the last day and all. So off we went up the mountain and got to the spot where they dissappeared at about 8:30am and spotted him about 1000yards away.

We snuck over a couple ridges to get closer but the last ridge would have exposed us too much so we decided to go back down the mountain into the same ravine that the ram had bedded and try to sneak within shooting range. We got to within 300 yards so I took off my pack and set up the spotting scope and got a good look at him. He was bedded behind a willow and I could not see for sure if he was full curl. In the mean time I could feel the wind turn and blow at the back of my neck and at that moment the ram knew something was up. He got out of his bed and slowly started to make his way up the mountain with the other rams but then decided to start feeding which gave me the much needed side view that I needed.

I ranged him at 301yards put the crosshairs on his chest and gave him what for. Following the shot he charged down the mountain like nothing was wrong so off with another round. I saw rock fly behind him so god dam, off with another and then he slowed to a standstill and fell over.

My son was happier than I was I think, for the moment anyways, as he patted my on the back and said "Dad you got a Stone Sheep". We walked up to where we thought he was laying and couldnt find it right away but after a little trudgeing back and forth we found him beside a willow bush and celebrated. All three shots were true, well sort of.

We caped, deboned and packed all our stuff into my pack and headed down the mountain back to the truck. I love that feeling, and any sheep hunter that has been successful knows what I mean, by hauling out 110lbs of blood, sweat and horns on your back. We got back to the truck at 10:00pm went back to camp made dinner and had a rum and coke and slept like babies.http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1070028.JPG

Me in my infinitie wisdom, forgot the camera at the truck as I was looking at the pics we took the day before so I appologize for the not too scenic pics. I though about all the animals I have been successful with my kids and we have been together with 1 bull elk, 1 mulie buck, 3 white tail bucks, 3 bull moose, 1 goat and now 1 stone sheep. So if anyone has had a bad string of luck and needs a change, my son is for rent. He works great for me.

Thanks for the memories Luke.

srupp
08-29-2011, 07:41 PM
That is SWEET... a WIN all the way round....and having your son there..PRICELESS..

cheers
Steven

Dirty Steve
08-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Awesome! Can't wait to hunt with my kids.

kayjayess
08-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Congrats to squeege and Luke. A dandy ram and an awesome hunt for the youngster to be in on. Great story too. Well deserved trophy

Island Idiots
08-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Awesome story and pics. Thanks, you made a crappy day better and not a moment to soon. Congrats. :)

Jagermeister
08-29-2011, 09:00 PM
I think that you are "doing it right". He will be hooked on hunting until the girls start looking oddly different to him. Hopefully that will take a long time, but I suspect about 15 and things will change.

mark
08-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Sounds like a much easier way to hunt sheep than I experienced!!!
I thought there is gong show amounts of hunters from the highway????
Congrads on a great hunt!

Tikka270wsm
08-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Sounds like you and your boy already have some great memories you can share for years to come. Just the start too I"m sure. Can't wait for when my kids are old enough to take with me into the hills. Congrats on a real beauty ram!

Deaddog
08-30-2011, 05:54 AM
what a great trip , sharing it with your son is something else...congrats..

StoneChaser
08-30-2011, 06:52 AM
Best sheep story of the year...nothing beats hunting with the kids !

Awesome!

budismyhorse
08-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Sounds like a much easier way to hunt sheep than I experienced!!!
I thought there is gong show amounts of hunters from the highway????
Congrads on a great hunt!

Not at this time of year...........

Nice ram and what an amazing moment with the boy. Great story for him to tell at school.

congrats.

way to go......you've blown the doors off of this secret spot!! ;)

Springer
08-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Not only is it priceless that you two spent this quality time together and memories of a lifetime , But i tip my hat to your son for keeping up with you to hunt high and hard enough to be there for the Ram Harvest. Does he get to take those curly horns for show and tell when he goes back to school ??

Congrats to you and your son.

squeege
08-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Not only is it priceless that you two spent this quality time together and memories of a lifetime , But i tip my hat to your son for keeping up with you to hunt high and hard enough to be there for the Ram Harvest. Does he get to take those curly horns for show and tell when he goes back to school ??

Congrats to you and your son.

Geez, thats a good Idea. Hopefully the maggots are done by the time schools back or I might get a call from his teacher.