PDA

View Full Version : Golden area goat hunt?

bigshooter
08-29-2011, 02:07 PM
This is not my hunt, I have never chassed mountain critters yet, but I try to research information for my hunting party. I need some information for a goat hunt in the area east of Golden mu 4-35.
Is this a base camp style of hunt, or can you hike from a car camp each day?
What time of year is best?
When does the snow hit?
Really any information would be great.

GoatGuy
08-29-2011, 02:16 PM
You can day hunt it or backpack.

November's probably the best time.

Snow starts end of October.

Lots of mountains, lots of goats.

springpin
08-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Whatever floats your boat. Snow can start flying mid october

bigshooter
08-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Anyone have a good access road. I don't know nut N about no Mutt N
Thanks.

GoatGuy
08-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Most of the roads get you close. Beaverfoots as good a place as any, some good spots past the road closure. Expect snow at anytime; have been snowed in early sept.

ibehuntin
08-29-2011, 09:03 PM
4-35 is LEH, so is the draw for zone A or B?

ufishifish2
08-29-2011, 10:05 PM
I hunt there every year multiple times for goats in 4-35A. Goatguy is correct that your best option is likely hunting up the Beaverfoot.
You can hunt from the bottom as day hunts, but expect to hike your a$$ off.
I generally start hunting in there around Thanksgiving. The goats move down once the snow starts to get deeper, plus they are easier to locate on those open hillsides by just following the fresh tracks. In November they can often be found in the higher elevation recently harvested cutblocks. There are many good options for getting up into the goats back yard.

ufishifish2
08-29-2011, 10:36 PM
I should mention that you should tell your buddy that there is far easier spots in this province to chase goats. He'd better be in great shape for this hunt. It's not the easiest place I've hunted goats, not by a long shot!!

bigshooter
08-30-2011, 07:30 AM
I should mention that you should tell your buddy that there is far easier spots in this province to chase goats. He'd better be in great shape for this hunt. It's not the easiest place I've hunted goats, not by a long shot!!

Great I will tell him. I think I might end up being his packrat. He was going to try it with his 3 week old babie girl and his wife. Get on the old treadmill and bump up the incline. I have youtubed golden bc goats and yikes.

bigshooter
10-17-2011, 02:16 PM
Anyone know of a good cabin to rent or hotel that will allow a dog in this area? $75 to $120 a night range.

Mountain Hunter
10-17-2011, 03:56 PM
If the LEH is 4-35A?, you could try Beaverfoot Lodge? There also might be some accomm. near the beginning of Beaverfoot Road just off the Trans Canada Hwy.

Otherwise, it's a long drive from Golden each day!

Deer_Slayer
10-17-2011, 09:07 PM
go south of Golden just pass Parson store..turn left on beards creek road..follow it up keeping to main road..(some private roads at beginning) just before first big fields you wanna stay to right..go about 2 km and there is a road to your left takes you up to some good rock faces. iw as just up there hunting mulies and we watched a bunch of goats up here. Grab a mulie tag too..there are some brutes in here..but usually depends on snow at higher levels..once the snow hits the place is crawling with Mulies...good luck

scottwh
10-17-2011, 09:36 PM
I have hunted the Dainard and Mile high lake ares as well as the paul creek area off the Beaverfoot. As ufishifish2 sais, you better be in extreemly good shape! Those hills are very steep, through nasty bush to get to where you start seeing the goats. Even from Dainard lake they seem like they are "just rite there up the hill!". However, its a great hike in that area. Bring good boots and good luck!

LukaTisus
10-17-2011, 09:54 PM
go south of Golden just pass Parson store..turn left on beards creek road..follow it up keeping to main road..(some private roads at beginning) just before first big fields you wanna stay to right..go about 2 km and there is a road to your left takes you up to some good rock faces. iw as just up there hunting mulies and we watched a bunch of goats up here. Grab a mulie tag too..there are some brutes in here..but usually depends on snow at higher levels..once the snow hits the place is crawling with Mulies...good luck

Seconded. My bud and I were up in there yesterday and I spotted a goat up on the rock face. We were scouting to see if there was any sign of the mule deer starting to move, yet, but nothing so far.

Also saw a goat yesterday up on the cliffs on the 4-36 side of the canyon just east of Golden. He was fairly low, chilling on the ledge overlooking the river.

bigshooter
10-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Not in to bad of shape, could use to lose a few pounds, as can the guy with the draw. We will be after moose in another area and then we will try our luck and see some new area in Golden. We will be their from the 15th of November on, the mule deer will be safe by then, we will have to find some whitetails. Our group of 4 had 3 moose down in 2 days last year and it seamed like it was all work 10 day trip became a 4 day trip. I'm not into that this year, first time for goats, going to take it easy.
Thanks for the help.
Any help with a cabin for rent or cheep motel around parson? Needs to allow a dog.

LukaTisus
10-18-2011, 12:04 AM
There's the Columbia Valley bed and breakfast, right on highway 95 and real close to Parson.. but I'm not sure if they allow dogs. As for motels, the only motels or hotels are in the Golden townsite.. nothing but little B&B's out Parson way, really.

Columbia Valley's phone # is 250-348-2508. You can ask them about pricing, and if they'd allow your dog, as well. :) Good luck!

bigshooter
10-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Any grizzly bears in the area? will they be in bed on the 15th of November?

Mountain Hunter
10-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Yes, there are plenty in that region and no, not all of them will be in bed.

bigshooter
11-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Thank all for the help.
2 more weeks till I head off with my brother inlaw for his goat hunt. I need a little help with the gear. The hunts will be just basic, get up early, park the truck as high as the road will allow, and hike to the top if possible. We will be packing light. What would you take for gear? I'm the type of person that goes in over prepared but short of taking camp up the hill what is a safe list -13 in town this week. I have never done this type of hunt before and this year is more of a get to know things. Climbing gear needed?

yukon john
11-03-2011, 06:53 AM
Just got home from the golden area with 2 billies, never going late season goat hunting without some sort of ice/climbing axe again rocks get scary this time of year. Good news is that there was more snow than usual and the goats where lower down.

bigshooter
11-03-2011, 07:41 AM
Just got home from the golden area with 2 billies, never going late season goat hunting without some sort of ice/climbing axe again rocks get scary this time of year. Good news is that there was more snow than usual and the goats where lower down.

This is what I'm thinking, I keep on seeing these goats tumble down rock faces on youtube and can't help but think it could be me.
Good job on the billies any pictures?
Thanks for the update.