PDA

View Full Version : Fuel amount required for MSR simmer Lite

Kirby
08-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Ok so I've got a new stove and Haven't had it out for many trips and just trying to figure out fuel consuption.

MSR simmer light stove, boiling water for breakfast/dinners and occasional cup of tea. 12 days. Any experienced guy/gals want to chime in on what I should be packing with this stove?

08-29-2011, 11:13 AM
I used a Whisper-Lite for backpack trips for many years. My experience was that a single cannister of fuel will last about three days using it on average twice a day. Great little stoves, keep them sheltered from wind and never try to light one inside a tent. Take the little nozzle cleaning tool with it wherever it goes and be very careful when changing bottles that you don't allow dirt in. The only trouble I ever had was an occasional plugged nozzle. I usually took 5 full bottles for a 10 day hunt sheep hunt and always brought fuel home.

StoneChaser
08-29-2011, 11:22 AM
With my MSR Whisperlite I budget 600ml/3 days Aug/Sept (cooking for 2 guys) and always find I've got too much fuel.

Depends on what you're cooking too (Mtn house vs Sidekicks), as this past sheep hunt I ran less than 1000ml of fuel for 10 days (2 days of Mtn House, rest Sidekicks), but only ate 1 hot meal per day.

Colder weather I run a little extra fuel.....

buford19
08-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Just got back from a 8 day sheep hunt, used same stove on 7 of those days. Over that time I boiled water 13 times, the stove used 445ml of fuel. So one liter should be plenty for your trip.

LOC
08-29-2011, 07:40 PM
I still use the original whisperlite (pre-simmer lite days). Not a fuel consumption tip, but I'd suggest using a 250ml bottle on the stove and filing it from a 500 or 1000ml. I've found the smaller bottles hold the presure better and require less pumping to get a stable flame. Maybe it's different with the newer versions, but I doubt it :)