PDA

View Full Version : Little confused about buckshot???

Dale
09-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Never shot a deer with buckshot before and I am wondering things like loads, range, etc. I shoot a Benneli Nova 3/12" shotgun for waterfowl, can use this for deer or do I need a different barrel, like a shorter smooth bore barrel that you use for slugs?

Gateholio
09-05-2006, 09:32 PM
You can use the same barrel. Teh question is *WHY?*

Unless you hunt in a SHOT ony zone, I'd just use the slugs, they are far, far more effective.

If you are stuck with the buck, make sure you are close and use a pretty tight choke. I'd not want to shoot a deer with buck past about 20-30 yards. A

Frankly, a bow is a better mousetrap than buckshot, IMHO.8-)

Marc
09-05-2006, 09:36 PM
You can use the same barrel. Teh question is *WHY?*

Unless you hunt in a SHOT ony zone, I'd just use the slugs, they are far, far more effective.

If you are stuck with the buck, make sure you are close and use a pretty tight choke. I'd not want to shoot a deer with buck past about 20-30 yards. A

Frankly, a bow is a better mousetrap than buckshot, IMHO.8-)

There are some areas on the Island that you're allowed to hunt bucks or does with shotgun with buckshot or bow. These are closer areas around town and near the highway where there is a high collision rate with vehicles.

Gateholio
09-05-2006, 09:51 PM
You mean, like a SHOT ONLY zone?8-):lol:

Will
09-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Any 3" Buckshot load will do in the 12 gauge........00 or 000.
Keep shots well under 50 meters as suggested.
I'd prefer 00 Buck.
Plenty of smack down for those Lil Island deer 8-)

Check your aim point and spread pattern on paper out to 50 before you head out,
If you print them beyond that you'll see why shots are best close up :wink:

09-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Ditto on what Will said.

I know a fellow who uses buckshot regularly (shotgun only season/areas) and consistently gets his whitetails without any problems. Usually within 50 yards, although he told me of one he shot at almost 70 yards out with 2 of the buckshot catching it and doing the job. I think buckshot is an effective load as long as its limitations are respected......

ratherbefishin
09-06-2006, 07:26 AM
if anyone is shoot ''70 yards out''with buckshot-I can pretty well assure you they have killed a lot more deer than they think they have-next week with pellets in the guts.A lot of ''misses''were hits that didn't put the deer right down.Recognising the limitations of any weapon is only being responsable and confining shots to lethal ranges will greatly reduce the chances of a wounded animal

09-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Recognising the limitations of any weapon is only being responsible and confining shots to lethal ranges will greatly reduce the chances of a wounded animal

l agree 100% and am not suggesting 70 yards is withing buckshot's consistent killing range, for the reasons mentioned.

lapadat
09-06-2006, 11:21 AM
I patterened my Beretta 390 (28") last week with 3" mag 00 buck at 20 meters. The spread was approximately 24"X24". I wouldn't go past 40 yards on a deer.

my 2 cents

lap

ratherbefishin
09-06-2006, 01:52 PM
I believe with SSG that's 9 pellets spread over a 24''x24'' square.......and you're going to count on one or two being lethal hits-the rest will just injure it and let it die later.A hit with buckshot is virtually guaranteed-but where is another matter.