PDA

View Full Version : calling moose?

sarg
08-28-2011, 11:32 PM
just seeing what is the earlies people start to calling moose in? i would like to get out and pratice b4 for we leave for are oct 1 moose in 100mile. my son and i are going to be heading out sept 17 weekend for an over night some were and i'm not sure if that would be to early to practice call moose,
sarg

BiG Boar
08-28-2011, 11:35 PM
i called for the first time last year and called them in sept 14th-20th. Oct 1st-10th is perfect though.

sarg
08-28-2011, 11:58 PM
cool thanks, i see ur from the LML to,so how far from home do u go to call moose or do u just head straight up country( way up north) to do it? i was thinking to try up around murray lake area (old toll both area). i"ve always see a lot of sign up there but never any moose.

BiG Boar
08-29-2011, 06:37 AM
that was ft st james. However it would work anywhere. I somehow believe the farther south you go the later the rut is? Not sure if there is any truth to that or not.

Sitkaspruce
08-29-2011, 07:48 AM
Call anytime, you just never know. Earliest for me when they have come in grunting and trashing has been Sept 20th, but I have them answer and grunt back as early as the 9th. Had lots answer while calling elk as well, just not come in hot and heavy. Latest has been a cow in Feb, caller her in while ice fishing and she came right down on the lake.

All this in central BC, had them earlier in the north.

Good luck on your hunt.

Cheers

SS

srupp
08-29-2011, 07:53 AM
earliest is around SEPT 20 ish...vary rarely the 19th after lunch...

steven

ape
08-29-2011, 12:39 PM
You can call in moose at anytime of the year. They are a very gregarious animal and tend to enjoy each others company. I would not have believed it had I not seen it myself. Moose called in in mid May.

Machinist
08-29-2011, 03:09 PM
I have had the best results between Sept 20 and through the first week of October. I use a birch bark horn and thrash the bush with half of an old anller , works well for me.:mrgreen:

srupp
08-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Sarg try some of the lakes WEST of HELENA for practicing...there are numerous little lakes that are holding some bulls in the past 2 weeks....

as for timing pretty consitant timing around 20th of Sept in 100 Mile-Williams Lake areas..some sneak in some come in like a freight train but the first 2 weeks of Oct are "prime"/////=========.........>>>>>>>>>>>

STEVEN

Moose Guide
08-29-2011, 05:01 PM
I have had the best results between Sept 20 and through the first week of October. I use a birch bark horn and thrash the bush with half of an old anller , works well for me.:mrgreen:

Get a skapula(shoulder blade) they sound better and weigh less. I called a nice bull (35 inch) on sept 10th 2 years ago (Kaslo area), also got answers in may.

robertmcallan
08-29-2011, 05:31 PM
got my moose last year on the coffee can and a wet string on October 14 came running right at me

22savage
08-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Get a skapula(shoulder blade) they sound better and weigh less. I called a nice bull (35 inch) on sept 10th 2 years ago (Kaslo area), also got answers in may.

x2 on the shoulder blade , also be aware that you may also have other critters coming in to your calling and bush raking

kennyj
08-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Sept. 25 is the earliest for me.
kenny

elkdom
08-29-2011, 06:36 PM
do your best to mimic the sound of a 100 Ton Kenworth doing 110 km down the Hwy,,,,

it seems to really work, I counted 5 recent dead road kill moose between Pink Mountain and Ft St John this afternoon,,,:cry:

considering when I checked today, with the Pink Mountain Lodge about moose entries in their meat cooler this fall,,,
they have had 7 moose hung by resident hunters since the opening of GOSmoose season August 15 !

most years there are 30 moose in that cooler by the second day of the GOS moose season !

the cooler at Bucking Horse lodge has had ZERO moose since August 15,,

Ry151
09-08-2011, 09:50 PM
im new to fort st john but i have gone out alot and seen nothing but old sign. I wonder if the floods early this spring has cause the moose to move or may be im just in the wrong area.

pmj
09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
You can practice any time but choose the places with care. I practice in the garage. My wife does not enjoy listening to me practice in the house:mrgreen: .

papaken
09-12-2011, 07:54 PM
You can practice any time but choose the places with care. I practice in the garage. My wife does not enjoy listening to me practice in the house:mrgreen: .
My wife too. I practice in the carport, couple of neighbors are hunters, really gets them fired up. LOL :-)

Banjo
09-12-2011, 08:21 PM
As long as you know what the call should sound like it can be usefull to practice anytime imo...you just want to get the sound right. If you're doing it right (and in the right area) then they should come right to you. Not sure about others' experiences, but my group has found that in the last few years the bigger bulls don't rut too far into october....

If you're hutning the toll booth area you might want to check out the tunkwa lake resort website as they publish daily reports on activity in the area....sightings, successes etc

Banjo
09-12-2011, 08:25 PM
....Just realized you may be refering to a different toll booth