PDA

View Full Version : hunting

3006pg
08-28-2011, 02:12 AM
whose that person who got you into the game? who spent countless hours in the woods with you teaching you how to hunt teaching you everything he knows knowing that you yourself would someday find great success in finding that animal youve been looking for all fall. who taught you how to clean and gut that animal. i wanna thank my dad for teaching me everything i know about hunting and the great wilderness we appreciate and i hope i appreciate for the rest of my life. thanks pops

Mr. Dean
08-28-2011, 02:27 AM
whose that person who got you into the game? who spent countless hours in the woods with you teaching you how to hunt teaching you everything he knows knowing that you yourself would someday find great success in finding that animal youve been looking for all fall. who taught you how to clean and gut that animal.

Me, myself and I. Plus the many faceless people on HBC.

kayjayess
08-28-2011, 02:49 AM
My Dad. Thanks Dad.

The old boy mentored me and when I shot my first mule deer at 14 he hung up the rifle for a few years. He is now back into it big time and shot a monster 7 by 7 elk two years ago that went in that high 380s range along with numerous muleys that go in the high 170s and 180s over the past decade.

This past spring my 10 year old completed the CORE and I just picked up a 7mm-08 Savage from Cabelas. The rifle is scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday and my Dad will be visiting from Alberta then as well. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than my Dad to be there to see my son shoot his first big game animal. That is not going to happen this trip with the season a few weeks away but it will be so cool to have my old man there to watch his grand son punch some holes in the paper with the new rifle.

Having said that there are some awesome people I have met through HBC that have spent hours with me out in the bush teaching me the ways of the Wet Coast.

barry1974w
08-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Self taught, my buddy down the road and I learned together. It was a long process to get to the point of consistent success.

Iron Sighted
08-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Well, unless I find someone in my area in the next few weeks who wants to show me the ropes, then I will be self taught(at least for this season), with a large portion of my knowledge coming from this site and other internet resources. No big deal, it will probably be more rewarding learning on my own, though I really need to learn how to field dress and de-bone an animal as I plan on back pack hunting mostly, this is my primary concern right now.

cdnshooter13
08-28-2011, 08:15 AM
My best friend Brad and I pretty much taught each other. We lost him in late may so ill be dedicating this season and many others to come to him. RIP poochie.

Livewire322
08-28-2011, 08:43 AM
My both my grandfathers, and my dad... They all got me into it at first and taught me the basics. Although I still find interesting and useful info on here everyday ie. Brands of shells for duck hunting. My grandfather is rapidly showing the signs of aging but still is insistent on hunting and dragging deer out of the bush with or without help :)
I plan on taking him to california for a hog hunt I'm also hoping to go elk hunting with him if he ever gets a draw on the island, or a sheep hunt in the interior somewhere.
Well maybe I'll have to all of them... I sure hope so

Bow Walker
08-28-2011, 08:44 AM
My dad took me out for a couple of seasons and then I was left pretty much on my own. After that I was self-taught at the school of hard knocks.

nature girl
08-28-2011, 08:53 AM
My boyfriend got me into hunting.
I shot a 22 with my Dad when I was in elementary school but he is not a hunter.
Its funny before I met my boyfriend I knew a few hunters and I thought how could they shoot bambi. Its funny how I thought that. It just shows you just have to educate some people that getting your own animal is so much more rewarding then going to the grocery store and buying meat.

Iron Glove
08-28-2011, 09:28 AM
My Father-In-Law, my wife and my neighbour at the cabin.
The FIL called me over to his house and said "I have 3 rifles here, I want you to take them." Got my PAL and developed a serious fetish for firearms.
The Wife finally got fed up with my firearm purchases and said "I don't mind you owning so many guns but fer christ sake, do something useful and kill something with them." Went out and got my CORE.
Neighbour says "C'mmon Iron, we're going hunting tomorrow". Off we went and bang, got my first deer.
The FIL passed away a few years back, the neighbour moved but the wife still is with me ( don't know why she sticks with me, must be my body :) ).

springpin
08-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Dad got me into it, but I learned most myself.

Ghillie
08-28-2011, 12:21 PM
My Uncle, Dad, Cousin and Grandpa I have to thank for getting me into hunting.

Allen50
08-28-2011, 12:52 PM
my Dad, and uncles, as this is where the winter meat suppliy came from in the old days, some could not aford the cost of beef, as there were 13 kids in dads family, so hunting was a big thing, all the 11 boys did hunt,, and thats what we looked forward to each year opening day,,, and i learned meatcutting after that worked 10 or more years in a slughter house, now have my owne small shop and cooler,, its all good stuff to get out and hunt,,,

pg83
08-28-2011, 01:56 PM
My dad taught my brother and I, his dad taught him. May they both rest in peace.

4 point
08-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Co-worker at Safeway years ago taught me. He was a hunting machine and some of it wore off on me. Then my older brother and I went out, then a friend and I and the rest is history.

Singleshotneeded
08-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks Dad!

quadrakid
08-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Everything i know about hunting was gained by my own experiences. No hunters in my family.

buck nash
08-28-2011, 09:11 PM
My uncle was the first guy to take me out and he taught me lots but the late great Buck Nash was the guy who really showed me the ropes. That's where I got the name from. He's the only guy I ever saw kill two birds with one stone and he called it before he threw the rock. If he told you there was deer in that patch of trees, you could safely bet your life you'd see one.

He died in a car crash a few winters back. RIP Buck

Savage Man
08-28-2011, 09:59 PM
My Dad !!!! I am 40 and still learning from him. I have had a couple of other great partners who showed me a great deal along the way as well thanks Dan and Terry!!!!!!!!!!!

bowhuntersparks
08-28-2011, 10:59 PM
my uncle jay took me out when i was 7 and haven't stopped goin out since