PDA

View Full Version : Exploring New Terrain

upcomer
08-27-2011, 04:15 PM
So here's my predicament, and I'm sure many others have been/are in the same boat that I am in. All I've been seeing recently is pics of huge bucks on guys' trails cameras that they post on here. Most of course being in northern bc or the koots. I'm from the lower mainland, and have a cabin up in the princeton area. Naturally, the only place where i really go hunting is in region 8 in and around the princeton area. It makes sense, as i have a cabin to go home to at night and all. The problem that many people know, is there are very few decent big game animals around there. My old man has been hunting there for about 15 years, and has only managed to pull out one worth while 4 pointer (mind you he is getting old and primarily sticks to road/cut block hunting). I like hunting in that area as it is like my own backyard. But when i see the other guys on here seeing groups of a bunch of four+ point bucks hanging around ever other day, it makes me want to get more to those areas. The only problem with that is I dont have any family/friends in northern BC or the koots to show me the ropes. I know the general saying of find a FSR and just keep driving, but that doesnt always work out. I wouldnt want to spend my whole hunting trip being frusterated just trying to find a decent spot to hunt. So what do you guys suggest? 1. Concentrate more on my area and hunt it hard trying to find the few big boys that are hiding up there, or 2. attempt to explore N BC / koots? If the answer is number two, how do you suggest i go about that?

Big Lew
08-27-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm not trying to influence you one way or another, but last year was the first time in about 20 years that I haven't hunted the Princeton area, and only because many of my productive spots have a bit too much tall vegetation for good bow hunting compared to other areas I know. That's not to say there aren't big bucks, because there most certainly are. I have seen some every year, and have shot some with my bow. The largest whittail buck I've seen in 51 years of hunting was on the hillsides above Chain lake.