PDA

View Full Version : Gillnets in Kamloops lake? wtf?

Kapow
08-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Ok, so last season's sockeye run was a massive record breaker and i could see why fisheries allowed some gillnetters in the lake. Never seen one in the lake before that .This year there seems to be twice as many boats in the fleet and there bomben around the lake 24/7 like it was the ocean. :evil:

beni
08-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Yep, i've been seeing them every day. (I'm working directly across from the Savona mill, building over there)

Constantly running up and down the lake checking nets.

lip_ripper00
08-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Leave the native comments out, and this thread will stay open if not........

Ozone
08-27-2011, 02:39 PM
Wow, I guess you thought my comment was about natives since it was just deleted? Not sure how you got that out of it.

Ozone
08-27-2011, 04:07 PM
OHNO, you have said the N word

Amphibious
08-27-2011, 04:38 PM
time to take the halibut rods out "trolling" for big burbot? hmmmm ;)

Jagermeister
08-27-2011, 05:47 PM
That explains why there are no springs up river. Normally you would see lots of boats around Bannana Island and the hole at Stuart's Bluff. There were 4 boats there this morning, all gone this afternoon.
DFO is a ****up. DFO wants us to buy a licence, use barbless hooks to angle for fish that don't exist.

Kapow
08-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Hey, ripper other than the feathers comment, the others were not about natives. Did'nt need to ne removed at all.They were about gillnetters. And for your information, there are some nonnatives running some of these boats too. It would be nice if fisheries can explain this matter to us.

yzchamp
08-27-2011, 06:05 PM
That explains why there are no springs up river. Normally you would see lots of boats around Bannana Island and the hole at Stuart's Bluff. There were 4 boats there this morning, all gone this afternoon.
DFO is a ****up. DFO wants us to buy a licence, use barbless hooks to angle for fish that don't exist.

no boats in the afternoon cus they all limited out,,:) i did anyways...:)

blacklab
08-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Maybe they should only allow fish to be taken downstream of Hope.
If they're fishing Kamloops lake that means those fish have come up the Thompson, that gives me a chance.

BUCKJR
08-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Counted over 50 set and three drift nets between Harrison lake and the confluence of the Fraser. In 15 plus years I have never seen more than five at one time on the Harrison. I feel your pain. It's rediculous!

Laurence_Erickson
08-27-2011, 06:35 PM
we let it happen but is very painful to watch net caught sockeye go in the boat out of these nets and the dead pinks from the same nets get chucked in the river ????

mjmbc
08-28-2011, 08:01 AM
all that we can do is not support the fisherie buy buying the fish off of them just my 2 cents worth personally id rather go without before supporting them

Steeleco
08-28-2011, 08:13 AM
all that we can do is not support the fisherie buy buying the fish off of them just my 2 cents worth personally id rather go without before supporting them

Absolutely right. No market no reason to poach, cause that's what they're doing. Just like bear galls IMHO.

I took the kids for spell out by the Albion area yesterday, lots of boats almost non of them catching fish. We did see one gent playing a dinosaur, the dinosaur was apparently winning!!!!

ruger#1
08-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Was up working on the mountain yesterday. Glassed the river. Lots of boats. Looked like a gong show. Man was the pollution bad. Glad I was up there.

pearljam
08-28-2011, 08:48 AM
I am fine with them fishing "their" traditional fishing grounds, but please do it in a traditional way! Not hiring white men with gillnets to fish for them and then turn around and sell the fish to non-native people!

CanuckShooter
08-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Salmon is junk fish anyway, why don't they just let the commercial guys net them out???
Think of all the jobs that would be created, first in the fish boats and then in the eventual fish
Farms that would open to replace the vanquished wild fish!!
And it would end the ''poaching" that always gets everyone panties in knots!

Livewire322
08-28-2011, 10:30 AM
ok so basically we arent allowed to address the real problem on this forum... does anyone know who we could address our letters of concern to? ie. the head of fisheries?

CanuckShooter
08-28-2011, 10:50 AM
The prime minister? May as well go right to the top!! If there are lots of fish why a concern???

Trapper D
08-28-2011, 11:22 PM
funny what comes out of the woodwork from some of these posts, kind of reminds me of the species that we are, eventually none of this will matter as its just a drop in the bucket, unless we anihilate ourselves off of this planet , so everything else in the world could flourish, but not , we will deplete it untill its a cement pad and a mud bath, who are we really? we're the plague

mjmbc
08-29-2011, 08:28 AM
was out on a couple of the rivers here yesterday the goat and the holmes all told we counted thirty springs thats it usually by now the rivers are full ,hopefully theres a lot more fish to come

NaStY
08-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Contrary to popular belief there are lots of salmon in the river. Theirs just so much water for fish to move in. The Harrison as of now has about 700,000 to many fish so they opened it up to beach seining. If our gouvernment says someone can do it, they will. If your having a problem with it, then contact your local fisheries and ask. If its illegal, then hopefully it will be shut down.

This past weekend I didn't catch alot of fish. That tells me the either there using another path or maybe there suspended a little higher in the water. Remember the Fraser is 40% higher this year to date.....

This ok course had little to do with the original post. But the facts are the same. If you think its illegal then simply report it....

pnbrock
08-31-2011, 09:44 AM
When will fisheries pit these people in there place when the last fish has been netted?

DMAN009
08-31-2011, 10:36 AM
Stopped at the Sasquatch inn for a 6pac on the way out to the river. A rather intoxicated "longtime local" was bragging about how he was making $1000 a day during the sockeye run. Well at $10 a fish say, that's 100 fish a day just for that lad. Let alone he is sure to be sharing with a couple partners. So a couple hundred fish being sold illegally every day.

On the bar a boat rolled in with 2 white people, they rolled out about 8 fish on a rope as they got to shore. Few minutes later they came down and tried to carry a huge cooler that looked pretty heavy. Already over the limit with the fish on a rope. A second boat came in with 6 white people on it, 38 sockeye were counted coming off their boat. Both boats were reported to the CO's.

A few people of Asian kind were on the bar. More than 4 of their fish were foul hooked by jigging. They were all kept. We had a chat with them to tell them what they were doing was wrong. No English barred that conversation.

Then there is the commercial industry. You don't think that the government is allowing them to fish at their maximum capacity even if it is questionable to ensure their votes in the upcoming election. And also to support our economy as best they can. Anybody fishing Saturday knows how many fish were caught after the commercial opening.

So there I attacked almost every race that I have seen out fishing. That makes it ok right. Oh I almost forgot there was a black guy on the bar but he only caught 1 fish. So he couldn't poached if he tried.

Oh and for whoever said we shouldn't promote buying from the longtime locals to reduce the supply and demand. That is wrong thinking because you are implying it is our fault. I agree that if we don't create a demand that they will have no one to supply to, but it is still illegal and there are agencies and departments that are paid to deal with this. Don't let them off the hook!

D

mjmbc
08-31-2011, 07:12 PM
and yet you would be still willing to buy fish from them even tho theres agencies to deal with the issue, or am i missing something here

NaStY
09-01-2011, 08:22 AM
and yet you would be still willing to buy fish from them even tho theres agencies to deal with the issue, or am i missing something here

Yes you missed the point........ DFO and other agencies should be dealing with these issues...

mjmbc
09-01-2011, 08:28 AM
so why would anyone report the people foul hooking or over thier limit of fish then theres agencies that deal with that sort of thing

NaStY
09-01-2011, 08:36 AM
People foul hooking fish is a way of that fishery. Keeping them goes against the rules and should be reported. Keeping too many fish should also be reported. Knowing someone that sells fish without the right to do so, should also be reported.

Everything in this statement is illegal period.......... Its up to all of us to "observe and report" when we can. Hear say and rumors dont do anything for anyone......

DMAN009
09-01-2011, 12:05 PM

I did write that wrong for you as a critical reader. I was referring to te theory of blaming ourselves. I don't buy illegally but somehow the only people that talk about this is the fishing crowd. And we get lumped into the people buyin the illegal fish. I 100% agree we should promote that everyone shouldn't buy from them. And don't buy from them ourselves. But there are so Many people beyond our reach that will continue to buy illegally. That's what these agencies or departments are for.

If it was that easy we wouldn't need police. "hey everyone, don't steal and commit crimes. Ok! RCMP your contract and services are no longer needed!"

My point: promote knowledge but don't let the people collecting their checks not do their job.

And we report it to help them. If you saw someone stealing a car would you let them do it?

ryanb
09-10-2011, 12:32 PM
People foul hooking fish is a way of that fishery. Keeping them goes against the rules and should be reported. Keeping too many fish should also be reported. Knowing someone that sells fish without the right to do so, should also be reported.

Everything in this statement is illegal period.......... Its up to all of us to "observe and report" when we can. Hear say and rumors dont do anything for anyone......

You are correct, all three of the activities in the statement are illegal. However only two of the things would be dealt with by fisheries if reported. I'll let you figure out which two of the three.

NaStY
09-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Having reported many cases on the river and never hearing about it confirms what I already know. :mrgreen:

Ive spent many a day on the fraser and tributaries of the fraser valley.........

Bobfl
09-10-2011, 06:25 PM
As of noon friday no fish being caught in the south thompsom, lots of pinks floating down belly up after there spawn, no sockey floating down yet, no springs

f350ps
09-11-2011, 08:39 AM
As of noon friday no fish being caught in the south thompsom, lots of pinks floating down belly up after there spawn, no sockey floating down yet, no springs

More likely belly up cuz they don't want them so they get kicked back into the river. K

Kapow
09-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Finally got to chat with one of them in the savona pub . Nice guy actually. They keep all the pinks and sockeye, no matter what condition they are in..............and then sold to dogfood and catfood companies if they arent up to standards .

Ben Fougere
09-14-2011, 02:16 AM
Hey Kapow,

That's interesting stuff. I was talking to our fisheries officer here in Quesnel last year and he said that somewhere out there someone did a study of salmon caught in the ocean versus those caught in our inland lakes. He said that the people sampling the salmon could not tell the difference between ocean vs. lake caught salmon. My point being, that I think it's great to hear people fishing in Kamloops lake, but I still think that we need to regulate the fishery. I always hear that these net fisheries on the lower fraser are opened when an "escapement" level has been reached in a particular salmon bearing stream. The problem that I have with this management strategy is than once a net fishery is opened the recreational fishing goes down the drink, but more importantly there are fish being caught that we don't know for sure where they were headed.

My thoughts on this thread are that maybe we should be looking to manage our stocks from the "inside-out." (open commercial fisheries on our lakes, not the mainstem fraser.) And don't forget about those of us up river. Last year there was a bonanza on the lower fraser and because of this the fishing here in Quesnel was terrible. I only caught 12 sockeye in a week. You'd have to admit that maybe some of those fish caught on the lower fraser where bound for northern waters.