PDA

View Full Version : Vortex optics comparible to......

backstrap
08-26-2011, 09:48 PM
I was speaking with someone "in the know" today about optics, rifle scopes in particular, i have an old model 700 270win with an old bushnell on it, this was my first gun and it weighs a ton so it spends most of its hunting season in the truck on work trips or as a backup and such. The gun is great, it drives nails, the scope on the other hand has a moisture issue. So, i went into the huntin shop to look for a new one. Probably a bushnell since i liked the old one so much and it served me so well. Besides i cant afford high test glass for all my guns. Anyway i picked up the new 6500 elite (nice scope for the $) and thought that it would be a good fit, then the guy behind the counter says "look at this one" a vortex viper 4-12x40, so I take a look and it seems decent but i dont know much about vortex other than the fact that they spend a ton of money on marketing so i put it back. Then the guy says "you know thats comparable to a Zeiss or a swarovski, i would deffinitly take it over a vxlll" I didnt know what to say, so i blurted out "theres no effin way!" So i ask and theres no dumb questions......right. Is vortex comparable to a Swarovski, Zeiss or even a Leupold. :???:

Gateholio
08-26-2011, 10:09 PM
I'd pick any of the ones you listed before the vortex. Wrong forum btw

coach
08-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Nope. If you are looking to save money, buy a Redfield.

srupp
08-26-2011, 10:29 PM
guy was a idiot if he felt it was comparabel to Swaro..Zeiss..and not even close to a leupold...not even close...

thats a good laugh for the nite..sheeesh...

Steven

Sooke Hunter
08-26-2011, 10:35 PM
I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 on a Winchester Model 70 30-06......awesome scope for the $!! I paid $280 (taxes in) for it last year. Waaaayyyyy better than the last one I had on her, a Bushnell Banner....started to fog up a bit!

BiG Boar
08-26-2011, 10:54 PM
I would compare vortex to a cheap hooker. Yeah it does the job.....sort of.

RayHill
08-26-2011, 11:37 PM
I was speaking with someone "in the know" today about optics, rifle scopes in particular, i have an old model 700 270win with an old bushnell on it, this was my first gun and it weighs a ton so it spends most of its hunting season in the truck on work trips or as a backup and such. The gun is great, it drives nails, the scope on the other hand has a moisture issue. So, i went into the huntin shop to look for a new one. Probably a bushnell since i liked the old one so much and it served me so well. Besides i cant afford high test glass for all my guns. Anyway i picked up the new 6500 elite (nice scope for the $) and thought that it would be a good fit, then the guy behind the counter says "look at this one" a vortex viper 4-12x40, so I take a look and it seems decent but i dont know much about vortex other than the fact that they spend a ton of money on marketing so i put it back. Then the guy says "you know thats comparable to a Zeiss or a swarovski, i would deffinitly take it over a vxlll" I didnt know what to say, so i blurted out "theres no effin way!" So i ask and theres no dumb questions......right. Is vortex comparable to a Swarovski, Zeiss or even a Leupold. :???:

Zeiss is the best glass in the world, the number one. Millions times better then Vortex! LOL that is one funny sales guy !

mikeboehm
08-26-2011, 11:55 PM
I have 4 bushnell elite 4200, 1 bushnell 6500 , 1 bushnell 3200, and 2 leupold VX3. My buddies vortex viper does not even come close to any of my scopes. I have a pair of vortex viper 12x 42 binos and im not happy with them. My bushnell excusions were clearer. But since im leaving for hunting in 4 days im not sending them for warranty.

Tenacious Billy
08-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Zeiss is the best glass in the world, the number one. Millions times better then Vortex! LOL that is one funny sales guy !

Other than the fact that you clearly own something from Zeiss - what exactly makes it #1? :-D

bearhunter338-06
08-27-2011, 04:22 AM
I have the Vortex Diamond Back 3X9X40 rifle scope and I also have a set of the Vortex Diamond Back 10X42 Bino's. I feel they are the best bang for the buck. You will find that just like any other product people will love them/other will love to hate them. Some haters never even looking through the optics. As for comparing them to the high end scopes that will have to be up to the individual person.

I got my Vortex optics from Grouseriver Outfitters, and was able to take the Ziess Conquest and Vortex Diamond Back out side to look through them. With my old eyes I could see a slight difference in the sharpness and clarity of the Ziess. I did not think that it was worth the $600 difference. The Vipper being the high end scope would be a more comparable scope. There is one thing to keep in mind, German optics have been the best for many years with the so called "OFF SHORE" brands catching up quickly.

To me it all boils down to what I can afford and what works for my budget. Will I continue to by Vortex over Bushnell, Leupold, Ziess, Sworvozki, yes I will. Would I by the high end scope if I had the money probably. Is Vortex comparable to the Ziess and Sworvozki, not 100% but close.

It's your rifle your money your choice. Also look at the warranty of the scopes.

Fisher-Dude
08-27-2011, 07:20 AM
I got my Vortex optics from Grouseriver Outfitters, and was able to take the Ziess Conquest and Vortex Diamond Back out side to look through them. With my old eyes I could see a slight difference in the sharpness and clarity of the Ziess. I did not think that it was worth the $600 difference. The Vipper being the high end scope would be a more comparable scope.

Do that at 5:00 am or 8:30 pm and you'll wonder who turned the lights out in the Chinese scope.

Best scope for the dollar is the venerable Leupold 3x9x40 VXII. It will last a lifetime and be trouble free.

Johnny Shotgun
08-27-2011, 08:01 AM
bought a redfield 3x9x50 and for the money it is great. looked at the vortex at the time as well as the bushnell and leupold and liked the redfield for bang for buck. liked the look and the feel better than the rest hope come sept 26 it will have been the right choice.

Elkhound
08-27-2011, 08:09 AM
you want a nice scope for a back up gun. Look no further.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?70735-Bushnell-Elite-3200-scope-super-sale

Our sponsor has some real nice deals on this thread.

ROEBUCK
08-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Best scope for the dollar is the venerable Leupold 3x9x40 VXII. It will last a lifetime and be trouble free.[/QUOTE]

cant agree with this !

zeiss conquest 3x9x40 is far better than any leupold at simmilar prices

Ruger4
08-27-2011, 08:27 AM
google "todd's tundra test"
or youtube vortex freezer test

Ruger4
08-27-2011, 08:41 AM
www.opticstalk.com/leupold-vxII-vs-vortex-viper_topic26184.html (http://www.opticstalk.com/leupold-vxII-vs-vortex-viper_topic26184.html)

The Hermit
08-27-2011, 08:47 AM
I have a Vortex Viper on one of my rifles, and a Leupold VX3 on another... The Vortex is very good for the money, but I'd spend the extra next time and go with the VX3.

Bow Walker
08-27-2011, 09:18 AM
It's all a matter of opinion. Opinion and personal tastes/experiences.

Budget will play a large part as well.

IMHO - dollar for dollar Vortex will outshine anything else.

RayHill
08-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Other than the fact that you clearly own something from Zeiss - what exactly makes it #1? :-D

There are two major glass makers in the world, one in Japan and the other in Germany. They are owned by Zeiss, all the very best high quality lenses go to make Zeiss products. The next best gets sold to Swarovski then down the ladder to the rest. If you think Swarovski is the best it will be because the lenses were made by Zeiss

This makes Zeiss the best in the world

Blainer
08-27-2011, 10:41 AM
NOT a good comparison in my mind.

keoke
08-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Scopes are like comparing 720p tv to 1080p tv, everyone knows 1080p is better but you cant really tell the difference. All I am saying is expensive scope owners are smug and sniff their own farts cause they think they smell good.

Blainer
08-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Scopes are like comparing 720p tv to 1080p tv, everyone knows 1080p is better but you cant really tell the difference. All I am saying is expensive scope owners are smug and sniff their own farts cause they think they smell good.until u hook up a blu-ray
or until that buck of a lifetime presents an opportunity with 3 minutes of light left in the day.

ROEBUCK
08-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Scopes are like comparing 720p tv to 1080p tv, everyone knows 1080p is better but you cant really tell the difference. All I am saying is expensive scope owners are smug and sniff their own farts cause they think they smell good.

having the best scope you can afford ,is everthing as important as having a accurate reliable rifle.
scrimping on riflescopes is foolsplay.
low end scopes have poor light retention and are prone to fogging up, and sun glare.
my advice is buy the best you can afford.
dan

Tenacious Billy
08-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Who doesn't like the smell of their own farts is what I'm wondering?......

Springer
08-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Wow not a whole bunch of positives on Vortex ??? I was recently at Huntfest in Edmonton and i looked through Zeiss ,Swarovskis , Leica and almost lost my lunch when they told me how much they retailed for . I looked through the Vortex , then looked through them awhile later and left with a pair of last years model of Vortex Viper HD 10x42 for $600 because they were last years model and show price. I am very impressed for the money .
I thought what if i lost the higher end Bino's or dropped them in a rock slide or something , i sure would not be out as much coin !! I know i would not feel so bad if the same thing happened to my Vortex. I am a fan of my new Vortex Bino's.

I think as the years pass and Vortex gains popularity the price will increase as well. Vortex seem to be doing Cody Robbins quite well by his portfolio of animals harvested...........

RayHill
08-27-2011, 01:18 PM

I bet you wished your farts would smell better if they could! lol

RayHill
08-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Wow not a whole bunch of positives on Vortex ??? I was recently at Huntfest in Edmonton and i looked through Zeiss ,Swarovskis , Leica and almost lost my lunch when they told me how much they retailed for . I looked through the Vortex , then looked through them awhile later and left with a pair of last years model of Vortex Viper HD 10x42 for $600 because they were last years model and show price. I am very impressed for the money .
I thought what if i lost the higher end Bino's or dropped them in a rock slide or something , i sure would not be out as much coin !! I know i would not feel so bad if the same thing happened to my Vortex. I am a fan of my new Vortex Bino's.

I think as the years pass and Vortex gains popularity the price will increase as well. Vortex seem to be doing Cody Robbins quite well by his portfolio of animals harvested...........

You wouldn't know the difference between the them! You are trying them all out in a brightly lit showroom, everyone would think they were all the same. Try a pair of Zeiss in a dark room with one window. Crack the blind at lowest light in morning or evening. Stand inside the dark room about 15 feet. You will see out that window like it was midday and everything will stand out as clear as possible.

This will be the test for glassing from a dark canopy covered tree line first light.
You will know where you spent the extra bucks.

Tenacious Billy
08-27-2011, 02:37 PM
all the very best high quality lenses go to make Zeiss products. The next best gets sold to Swarovski then down the ladder to the rest. If you think Swarovski is the best it will be because the lenses were made by Zeiss

Where might a person find more literature on this?........

Fisher-Dude
08-27-2011, 02:48 PM
It was quite funny on a fly in up north one evening, as the rest of the hunters were huddled around the campfire because it was "dark out." I was down by the river glassing the opposite hillside with my Leica binos. They all called me a BSer, saying I couldn't see anything. And then they all came down to the river and tried them...shut 'em all up, fast! :D

So much for their "just as good but way cheaper" Bushnells.

eastkoot
08-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Ever seen a microscope, camera lense or lab equipment with Vortex or Bushnell lenses.. There is a reason..

Elkhound
08-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Ever seen a microscope, camera lense or lab equipment with Vortex or Bushnell lenses.. There is a reason..

Actually I am in the medical profession and I see Bushnells name on lots of Optical equipment. They have many divisions. Not as much as Zeiss and Nikon but they are there.

pembified
08-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Oh, don't go being right on account of experience, that's a buzzkill for the opinionated. If you can't afford it, it doesn't matter how good it is. I prefer my VXII to my Zeiss Conquest mainly because the Conk weighs a freaking ton. Give or take a few ounces.

eastkoot
08-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Actually I am in the medical profession and I see Bushnells name on lots of Optical equipment. They have many divisions. Not as much as Zeiss and Nikon but they are there.

I stand corrected..

mcrae
08-27-2011, 06:43 PM
When I choose a scope eye relief is an important factor. I wear glasses and Bushnell and Vortex didn't have very good eye relief for me. I have owned Bushnell 3200's and 6500's and a few of the Vortex scopes and they are all gone and replaced with Leupold and Swarovski. I like the Zeiss Conquest scopes but find them pretty heavy compared to Leupold. I also have had a few Kahles scopes and they are very nice glass. Right now my 280AI wears a 4-12x50 Swarovski and its heads and tails better than the Vortex or Elite 3200's I had. My other rifle wears a VX 2 3-9x40 my binos are Leupold GR's and my spotter is a Leupold GR as well. Simple fact is Leupold has awsome eye relief for a guy that wears glasses....

I was impressed with the Bushnell 6500 but it was a huge scope and was more of a target style scope so I traded it off....

I don't think you can go wrong with a Vortex scope personally. If its what you can afford buy it and don't worry about it but they are not comparable to the high end scopes IMO....

Bow Walker
08-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Different strokes for different folks. I wear eye glasses too. Have done so since I was in my late 30's. I own, and use, a set of Vortex Vultures - 8.5X50, and a Vortex Diamondback 3-9X40 scope on my .270

No problem with eye relief at all.

Moose Guide
08-27-2011, 10:11 PM
recently I compared Leupold, Redfield, Vortex and Bushnell binos, I bought the Redfields because they were considerably better than the Vortex and Bushnells and I couldn't afford the Leupolds!!!

Gateholio
08-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Bushnell is probably in the medical optics biz from when they bought B&L. The Elite series was originally B&L, which is why they are higher quality than the rest of the bushnell line.

KB90
08-27-2011, 10:34 PM

You'll be pleased with your selection!

I tried both the Viper HD and Talon HD and ended up choosing the talons, but they were both great, just personal preference!

The Hermit
08-27-2011, 10:44 PM
KOWA (the fourth largest privately held company in Japan) has been in the medical imaging business for 125 years. They grow their own fluorite crystals for use in the objective lens' of their high end spotters and and telephoto scopes. It is widely accepted as THE best spotting scope on the planet, period. Their high end binos are equal to and certainly in the same class as the high end Ziess, Lieca, and Swaros. I have owned them all, used them in all light conditions and for my eyes the KOWA kicks ass, and they are hundreds of dollars less expensive than the big three. Why, because they sell thousands upon thousands of them to bird watchers the world around! I wish they made rifle scopes but not so, yet!

Elkhound
08-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Bushnell is probably in the medical optics biz from when they bought B&L. The Elite series was originally B&L, which is why they are higher quality than the rest of the bushnell line.

Absolutely correct Gates. B&L used to make all the Ray Ban sunglass lenses too. Sadly not the case anymore

Dorikaze
08-28-2011, 02:57 AM
I have one of the cheapest series from Vortex crossfire on a .300 win mag and gone through 400 rounds of of ammo still holds zero,just saying they work and I have taken a bear and deer last year with one, The Viper series I would compare it to a low end Leupold or redfield

saskbooknut
08-28-2011, 04:31 AM
I don't see any scientific comparison in the discussion of optical quality.
Use a discrimination grid with two optics side by side at say.....100 metres. Relative ability of each will be revealed. Try the same at low light intensity, the quality optics will be even more clearly the winner.
I cannot understand why anyone would buy junk Chinese optics and then expect high performance - ain't gonna happen.
I have always been a proponent of buying better than you think you can really afford, from a company known for quality and service - then you only have to buy once for a lifetime.

Ruger4
08-28-2011, 07:05 AM
There was a Swaro spotter on here for sale that just finally sold , priced at $1900 , in the meantime I've also read that lots of hunters in HBC Land have bought the Vortex Nomad Spotter in the $400 + range. My point here is in the end price does dictate for the vast majority of us.............it's so repetitive but buy the best you can 'afford' and go with it. I have Leupold, Leica, and Vortex optics and like them all for different reasons. Next August I we be glassing Mouflon and Chamois with a new Swaro spotter that's waiting for me in Austria and I do look forward to the field test !! :mrgreen:

Springer
08-28-2011, 07:14 AM
[QUOTE=RayHill;968429]You wouldn't know the difference between the them! You are trying them all out in a brightly lit showroom, everyone would think they were all the same. Try a pair of Zeiss in a dark room with one window. Crack the blind at lowest light in morning or evening. Stand inside the dark room about 15 feet. You will see out that window like it was midday and everything will stand out as clear as possible.

This will be the test for glassing from a dark canopy covered tree line first light.

Your right , inside the showroom is bright and not a great way to challenge the Optics. However The Vortex rep was the only guy that offered to take me outside and wander around a couple areas by Northlands and do some long distance glassing. he also showed me how the HD works in a shaded area and i could not believe how well the HD works in low light.

For me its not the part of being able to afford the high end $$$ Swaro's etc or not , I still think the consumer pays to much just for the name even if they are great optics. like i was saying it would really suck if i lost them or broke them later on.

Fisher-Dude
08-28-2011, 07:22 AM
For me its not the part of being able to afford the high end $$$ Swaro's etc or not , I still think the consumer pays to much just for the name even if they are great optics. like i was saying it would really suck if i lost them or broke them later on.

Do you date an ugly woman just so there's no big loss in case you lose her later on?

Moose63
08-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Here is what used to compare for my binos that are on order.

http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

srupp
08-28-2011, 09:57 AM
C'MON sPRINGER USE SOME OF THAT $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ AND STOP USING those wallmart specials...lol

Elmer FuddRuppster

Tenacious Billy
08-28-2011, 10:07 AM
There are two major glass makers in the world, one in Japan and the other in Germany. They are owned by Zeiss, all the very best high quality lenses go to make Zeiss products. The next best gets sold to Swarovski then down the ladder to the rest. If you think Swarovski is the best it will be because the lenses were made by Zeiss

I still want to read up on this.......

Elkaddict
08-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Here is what used to compare for my binos that are on order.

http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

Although the original post was in reference to scopes and not binoculars this link illustrates a good point. All manufacturers have different models they market, all of different quality. According to the link the Vortex Vipers rate higher than some models from 2 out of 3 of the big three glass makers. How could this be for "Chinese junk"? (mine are Philippine, actually);). Vortex also has models down near the bottom of the pile.

I currently use scopes from Leupold, Sightron, and Vortex. They all suit their purpose, they all have transferable lifetime warranties. I've used those warranties for a Leupold and a Sightron, and both companies were outstanding to deal with (the Sightron had been diddled with internally by a previous owner, yet Sightron still covered the repair). I have yet to test Vortex customer service.

Side by side, to my eyes my Vipers are VERY close to my VX lll and slightly better than my old VariX ll. My 2-7X32 Vortex Viper allowed me to ventilate both lungs of a bull elk with one shot at 350 yds. with no muss and no fuss. It repeatedly tracks well, has decent eye relief, and stands up to the recoil of a 375R. What more do I need?

I did try one of Vortex's spotters a year or two back. I cannot remember the model, but I was left less than impressed when compared to a couple of the more prestigious brands.

Bottom line is know what you are comparing, and buy what fits your needs and budget.

My two cents, cheers.

Bow Walker
08-28-2011, 04:55 PM
I still want to read up on this.......
Well use Google and read to your heart's content. It's called research. ;)

Tenacious Billy
08-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Well use Google and read to your heart's content. It's called research. ;)

Thanks Mr. Vortex - I know how to use Google. I'm having a hard time finding anything that says "the next best glass gets sold to Swarovski"......;)

2SHALLOW
08-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Zeiss. Leica. Swarovski. Leupold. Steiner TOP five optics, if you don't have the money save up for one of these names. Low light is where i seen the difference between my Bushnell glass and my Swarovski, i sold my bushnell and bought a case for my swarovski 10x42's. You get what you pay for period. IMHO!!!

RayHill
08-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks Mr. Vortex - I know how to use Google. I'm having a hard time finding anything that says "the next best glass gets sold to Swarovski"......;)

This is all i could find online but I will keep digging for Zeiss to pop up
http://www.thebinocularsite.com/swarovski/

greenhorn
08-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Most people don't know enough about optical design and lens design/materials to defend their opinion on why a certain brand is better, so I'd take any argument based on that stuff with a grain of salt unless you personally understand optics/lenses enough to be able to tell BS from fact.

IMO the most important thing is getting a scope that will hold it's adjustment AND that is bright enough in low light conditions. Brightness is another word for how much of the light that enters the scope is transmitted to your eye, which is dictated mainly by the size of the front lens of the scope and the lens and lens coatings. Bigger front lenses can gather more light and anti-reflective coatings can aid in maximizing light transmission to your eye. There are other things that come into play, like the arrangement of the lenses, that can complicate things but this is the general idea. Just don't think that big lenses are always better, some optical designs can lose alot of light especially at hight magnification. You can get an idea of brightness by viewing stuff through the scope in dusk-like conditions.

Another thing to consider is what you'll be using the scope for. Do you need to clearly see the moisture droplets hanging off a deer's nose to tell if he's legal? Probably not.

Bow Walker
08-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Any optics are a personal choice.

What does it for one person won't float the boat of another person.

Buy the best that you can afford and try out as many as you can before buying - get the ones that you like the best.

Screw the "mine are better than yours" mentality.

David
08-29-2011, 09:49 AM
KOWA (the fourth largest privately held company in Japan) has been in the medical imaging business for 125 years. They grow their own fluorite crystals for use in the objective lens' of their high end spotters and and telephoto scopes. It is widely accepted as THE best spotting scope on the planet, period. Their high end binos are equal to and certainly in the same class as the high end Ziess, Lieca, and Swaros. I have owned them all, used them in all light conditions and for my eyes the KOWA kicks ass, and they are hundreds of dollars less expensive than the big three. Why, because they sell thousands upon thousands of them to bird watchers the world around! I wish they made rifle scopes but not so, yet!

It's what I call the Hyundai phenomenom. Hyundai used to make the Pony, which made Lada cars look like Mercedes. Today, however; Hyundai easily competes with Toyota for product quality. Problem is, most people who've owned cars for a while still remember the Pony.

Same thing with optics I think - as someone mentioned the offshore brands are really catching up in quality to the European brands, but they still have to fight past history and perception.

Me.

rollingrock
08-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Before you throw tonnes of money on a Leica, Swarov or something like that, make sure you ask your wife for her opinion. LOL I can understand guys who have lots of money could spend more on their toys. But family comes before my hobbies in my case, and I am not a rich a$$. I see a trend within hunting community since I started hunting in this country. The divorce rate is at least at par with cops if not higher. LOL Dedication does kill your relationship.

Just kidding.

Remington721
08-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Lots of bashing of Vortex.....just because its not a huge company doesnt mean its not any good...look up vortex tundra test on youtube

Jetboater
08-29-2011, 01:41 PM
bottom line is a hunter will buy 3-4 pairs of binos or scopes till they buy really high quality glass, it typically starts at 99.00 tascos, then to the 399.00 bushnells ,then the 499.00 vortex then 599.00 leupolds then they buy the higher end optics, by that time they have spent 1500.00 on optics where as if they would just spend the money on great optics they would have saved $1500-2000 in the end.buy the best you can afford and go from there, but saying vortex compares to swaro, zeiss or lieca is like saying walmart camo compares to sitka or kuiu

Gateholio
08-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Kowa makes great spotting scopes. Definitly worth a look

mcrae
08-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Any optics are a personal choice.

What does it for one person won't float the boat of another person.

Buy the best that you can afford and try out as many as you can before buying - get the ones that you like the best.

Screw the "mine are better than yours" mentality.

This is good advice....

While there are better spotting scopes out there I bought the Leupold GR because it was lightweight and has great eye relief. Is it better than my buddies Zeiss or Swaro spotters no way but I could afford it and it works best for me... I know the OP was talking scopes originally but same logic would apply for me with a rifle scope. IMO pretty much every company makes a decent scope just a matter of what your willing to pay...

frenchbar
08-29-2011, 04:13 PM
To me it has to do with your style of hunting...i hunt Deer mainly moose once in a while..and i dont need 2000$ glass to kill those..now if i hunted Sheep and goats ...i would probably splurge and get myself a good set of swaros binos and spotter. ive also tested good glass against the lower end binos out in the feild ...and theres no comparison ...the top end glass is far superior ...end of story!!!

Elkaddict
08-29-2011, 09:30 PM
backstrap, in answer to your original question,.....sorry, I don't have a Swaro or Ziess scope on hand, but in light of all the crap being slung at Vortex on this thread I took my scopes outside at dusk for a side by side comparo tonight.

It was a perfect night, being mostly overcast with a very dull light. I was out in front of my house from 20:15 to 20:25. According to The Weather Network the sun set here at 19:58. The scopes in question were a 3-9X40 Vortex Viper and a 3.5-10X40 Leupold VX lll ( I reduced the magnification to 9X). I set my rifles up side by side and aimed them between two spruce trees (10 ft apart?) into some laurel bushes 240 yds out. As the light failed I was able to pick out the bark pattern on the spruces and individual leaves on the laurels just as long if not a touch longer with the Vortex compared to the Leupold. Both reticles became useless in the black of the bushes at the same time. To say one was demonstrably better than the other would be impossible. In the conditions out tonight they were both pretty much done at 22 min. after sunset when aiming into the shadows, 5 or 6 minutes later aiming into open field.

So,..... considering the following:

Vortex Viper: 12.4" long, 14.2 oz, eye relief 3.5-3.7", and 92 MOA of windage and elevation adjustment, lifetime transferable warranty.

Leupold VX3 (sorry, they don't list specs for VX lll anymore, they should be close: 12.6" long, 12.6 oz, eye relief 3.6-4.4, and 58 MOA of windage and elevation adjustment, lifetime transferable warranty.

and what I observed tonight I would say yes, IMHO a Vortex Viper is comparable to a Leupold VX lll.

I have no axe to grind with Leupold, mine have served me well, and I would buy another in a heartbeat. I also appreciate value, and to my mind the Vortex Viper gives good value. It has some very nice features for the price point it comes in at, and it gives decent performance. It deserves a bit more than the unsubstaniated slagging it takes. As for Vortex's less expensive offerings, I don't have a clue on how they perform. You would have to take them out and see.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

.330 Dakota
08-29-2011, 09:35 PM
guy was a idiot if he felt it was comparabel to Swaro..Zeiss..and not even close to a leupold...not even close...

thats a good laugh for the nite..sheeesh...

Steven

Can you say TASCO...lol

srupp
08-29-2011, 10:05 PM
hmmm I am sorry i was reading OPTICS and asumed wrongly it was binos and spotting scope..

Both my spotting scope and binos are Swaro...riflescopes are leupold for different reasons..

steven

Walksalot
08-30-2011, 06:25 AM
For what it is worth, a little more turbidity to cloud the waters.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/binoculars.html

Springer
08-30-2011, 08:11 AM
C'MON sPRINGER USE SOME OF THAT $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ AND STOP USING those wallmart specials...lol

Elmer FuddRuppster

Elmer why would i want to stop using my Wal-Mart specials when i dont need them when i have you do the spotting for me ?? then i go bird dogging after them ,like your first year to Alberta in the Battle river valley.. Also being a broke Albertan and barely making ends meet makes it tough hey........

Fisher dude thats pretty funny and a great analogy....just gotta work on getting that date with the new lady ...Not sure how mrs Springer will take it.

I almost bought the same comparable Bino's from Leupold and i am convinced now my Vortex are superior. I am still a Leupold fan for my rifle scope that i have been using since 05.

russm86
08-30-2011, 01:11 PM
I have heard from a few, supposedly knowledgable, outfitters/hunting shop owners that the Vortex scopes actually use most of, if not all the same, components and parts of the high end Swarovski brand but are just assembled in like phillipines or thailand or something. Don't remember if that meant glass too...

bigshooter
08-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Wholesale sports guy gave me the same line today vortex to swarovski, something about a guy leaving swarovsky to go work for vortex, now they have the same quality. All I wanted was a set of marine binos to role around in the boat and still keep the saltwater out, I don't know how he thought that I wanted to look at a set of swarovskis for that. Whats good and cheep for saltwater( sorry for the hijack )

slowkey
08-30-2011, 02:23 PM
maybe these retailers are getting a better price point on the vortex stuff and that is why they are pushing them? I can't see the high end stuff having a good margin

having said that I do own a viper 3x9x40 and I have a 3x9x40 leupold rifleman and I like the leupold better

Fisher-Dude
08-30-2011, 04:27 PM
I have heard from a few, supposedly knowledgable, outfitters/hunting shop owners that the Vortex scopes actually use most of, if not all the same, components and parts of the high end Swarovski brand but are just assembled in like phillipines or thailand or something. Don't remember if that meant glass too...

Certainly, the aluminum comes from the same planet. The similarities end right there.

Bow Walker
08-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Vortex is the relatively "new-kid-on-the-block" and it will take a while before they are an accepted alternative to the high-end big boys and girls. For a "mid-range" dollar and a "value priced product' they do compare favorably with some of the best on the market.

I have always said (and I do believe) that they are one of (if not the) best values for the dollar that is available today.