PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Knife

Ben Fougere
08-25-2011, 09:44 PM
I've been looking for another hunting knife to add to my collection.

I'm wondering what some of the guys and gals here at Hunting BC consider their favourite hunting knife. So, what's the best knife out there?

To name a few that I'm looking at:

1) Outdoor Edge Swing Blade

2)Outdoor Edge Processor Pack (Or Kodi Pak)

3)Gerber Grylls Knife

4)And still looking for a better knife than these that will hold an edge......

Livewire322
08-25-2011, 09:55 PM
gerber makes a mean knife but i just got a custom blade for grad and it is sweeeeeet

Ghillie
08-25-2011, 09:56 PM
I recently bought the gerber gryll's knife and it has been great, Its lightweight, holds an edge for a long time (one thing to think about when buying a 'high carbon content' knife) one thing you dont want to do with it is pry at anything or use as a screw driver. Well... you can if you want but I wouldnt recommend it, or else the tip will bust off. I bought mine as a new hunting knife and it was $29.99, so you cant go wrong! At the same time I bought a Wyoming knife for skinning, caping, gutting etc.
ps. I dont know if there is a non 'high carbon content gerber grylls knife' but its the one i have and it WILL HOLD AN EDGE, its what a High carbon content knife specializes in :)

mark
08-25-2011, 10:04 PM
$20 boning knife, like every meat cutter everywhere uses!

moosinaround
08-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I use 2 bucks, the 105 pathfinder, and the 103 skinner. I also carry a cheapy Finnish Knife that hones very well, doesn't hold and edge well though! My son has a custom knife built by our own Ddog on HBC. it is made of s30v stainless, has skinned a bear and a few moose, and has yet to be resharpened!! Still shaves hair off your arm!!! Blacktail here on HBC makes knives as well. Worth every penny from these fine craftsmen!! I will have a custom set made next, from the antler of a spike fork my son and I shot 4 years ago! Moosin

Shooter
08-25-2011, 10:11 PM
I just bought a Havalon knife but haven't used it yet. It seems great tho. Its cheap to buy and they are throw away blades. The blades are surgical steel scalpel like blades. Super sharp. Should work great for skinning. I also have an old Buck knife in my pack and a custom Ddog knife on my belt. If you are looking for a GREAT all around knife go custom made. The price is usually very reasonable and quality is great. There are a couple great knife makers on this site just give it a search.

deerslayer2
08-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Google "knife destruction test fallkniven" Depends on what you want it for. Bushcraft/survival/hunting.....F1(hunting) or S1 (hunting/bushcraft). To be honest, I just bought the S1 and have not used it yet. It has a great feel and from what I've seen from testing it will absolutely destroy anything similiar in the ' tough' category. If you want a tough/sharp/functional knife, give them a look. Pricey, but you will be able to passs it on to your grandkids after using and abusing it

Bchunter3006
08-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Gonna try out the Havalon this year... my favorite is from Knives of Alaska. I have the Cub caper, and the Muskrat skinner. Both are amazing. The best part is that the Cub is big enough for everything I need, and is still small and lightweight.

Fox
08-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Enzo trapper O1 steel if you want a reasonable priced bushcraft knife.

deerslayer2
08-25-2011, 10:34 PM
To answer your post, my favorite knife is a SOG X-ray folder. Had an ATS-34 but moved to a VG-10. Japan makes great steel...BC makes great wood/.... My farmer/hunter family (they kick ass) use breakaway exacto blades to skin. They don't spend too much time in the woods. For an all around knife, look at Fallkniven.

Merch
08-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Bought a Grohmann Short Blade Skinner last year. Held an edge on 2 deer last year without issue.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r103s.html

And their Canadian!

buford19
08-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Bought a Falkniven s1 this year fron vantagepoint, used it on a Aug sheep hunt. This knife is the best knive I ever used. Used it for splitting wood carving,( killing time) and everyday use and abuse. After 8 days the knife still kept its edge, which was unreal to start with. They are alittle expensive, but are well worth the money. Would buy another on a without question again.

Fishhound
08-26-2011, 07:30 AM
I have had my Schrade Oldtimer for 30 years easy to sharpen wouldn't trade it for the world

mnholt
08-26-2011, 08:33 AM
+1 for Grohmann, I use the #R108S Deer&Moose & the #104F mini skinner

Stresd
08-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Sling Blade is excellent. And the Havalon Piranta. Wouldn't be without either.8)

longstonec
08-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Get an olfa knife and put carpet blades and use as a gut hook. And Dunn knives are worth checking out.

The Dawg
08-26-2011, 02:23 PM
I have a couple of SOG knives for unzipping the critters, and then its over to my custom skinners. Got a couple from Ddog on here, as well as another.

Mountain Man
08-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Fallkniven for gutting and skinning.
Havalon for skinning and caping.

These are the best brands of knifes I have ever had. You can have my outdoor edge, gerber, and buck knifes. No comparison.

troutseeker
08-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Good ol'Buck 110 does a good job. does not weight much, sharpens easily and don't cost an arm and a hoof.

steelheadSABO
08-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Buck http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/knives-tools/folding/folding-omni-hunter/prod227053.html

This is my favorite all around hunting knife with the guthhook

Quaz
08-26-2011, 06:42 PM
I have a custom clip point skinning knife made by Blacktail on this site and it is the cat's ass. Really pretty, fits nicely, sharpens easily and stays quite sharp. I like it a lot. You probably would too.

Fisher-Dude
08-26-2011, 06:54 PM
I have a Kershaw Black Horse that has been stuck into about 100 animals. Great knife that holds an edge really well.

Comment from a buddy at a two-moose skinning party: "At least someone still has a sharp knife!"

hotload
08-26-2011, 07:31 PM
I carry a SOG, Jungle Primitive, for a little bushwhacking,lane trimming, and a CUTCO DROPPOINT,sharpest knife I have ever had,held an edge through 2 elk,and 4 deer last year and when it gets dull send it in anytime and forever and Cutco sharpens it free of charge,also has an orange handle, never gonna lose another knife,couldn't be happier...............................

ramron
08-26-2011, 07:33 PM
I perfer a good straight blade knife.broke too many folding blade knifes.

John P
08-26-2011, 07:48 PM
I have to tell you I used a Cutco knife last year to skin a moose. never had to sharpen it once. Then the guy I borrowed it off of told me this is the second moose it has skinned and he never sharpened it. I have since bought one, they are awsome.

Black Lab
08-26-2011, 07:58 PM
I don't have a favorite knife yet. I have lots I don't like. I was looking at a "Cold Steel Outdoorsman" when I found this http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu322/_jed/SawMillFileKnife.jpg http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu322/_jed/SawmillCutleryKife.jpg http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu322/_jed/SawMillCutleryFileKnifeSheath.jpg It's dirt cheap and should be fair quality. It's a Kyber pass Special :twisted:

Glassman
08-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Buck Vanguard for all-round use. Boker also makes good knives. If you get a hand made knife from one of the guys here at HBC you will have a show-piece that works well. I will give you a tip that you and others might laugh at but I don't care what others think. I use an Olfa knife. The same knife I use in my windshield shop. Get the black blades. Part #Lb50- b. They are a break-away blade. They are the best blades for skinning. I can skin at least 5 animals on one blade. When it gets dull you just break off one little section and voila you have a new sharp edge. Laugh all you want HBC members but it works great. I have about 10 knives but the best for skinning is still my trusty Olfa box cutter knife.

new hunter
08-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Kyber pass knife looks neat , but if you're going to make a knife out of a file they should at least take the grooves out .
I just bought a muella ranger from canadian tire , decent steel , very nimble blade , fits great in the hand and is very comfortable for light or precise cutting .

BCBear
08-26-2011, 09:11 PM
I gotta say that my new Havalon knife system is always razor sharp and very lite.

.300 R.U.M. Grizzly
08-26-2011, 09:29 PM
I have a Katz and have done a moose, elk and two deer, and it has stayed razor sharp. I will never use another knife!

sapper
08-26-2011, 10:22 PM
I bought an Outdoor Edge Slingblade at the end of 2009's season and am really looking forward to actually using it for it's intended purpose this year. No successful hunts last year.

Legi0n
08-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Buck Ergo Hunter. Kindof expensive though.

Shooter Jr.
08-26-2011, 11:05 PM
I've heard and read reviews about the Gerber Bear grylls ultimate knife, some were not to good and a lot of people were disappointed with the bottom as a hammer like feature and a lot of people seem to destroy the handle of it, heard the knife its self is a decent blade though.

BiG Boar
08-26-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm surprised by some of the knives people think are great on here. I'm guessing they just don't know what a great knife is.

If I were to say 3 knives you should own:
First on the list is an Olfa
Secondly is a custom knife for your usual camp stuff, on your person always
Third is a scalpel (havalon or simple handle)

The most of the stuff in this thread is average at best.

I had a guy skinning out a moose with me with an $800 laser something knife, my $10 Olfa made him stand around and watch. Then he asked if he could try it.

Mountaintop
08-27-2011, 07:53 AM
I have to agree with the Olfa. I tried using it to gut and skin a deer last season after a friend suggested it and found it worked great. I always have my Gerber Ultralight LST in my pocket too which weighs less than an ounce and can get into tight places like cutting the windpipe. My old Buck 110 sees a lot of use as well

Bow Walker
08-27-2011, 09:32 AM
I've got quite a few knives at home, I've been a meatcutter for 40+ years, yet the knife that I continually go to for gutting and close-in work is my old Gerber Mini-Magnum.

On my belt is a Gerber Metolious. In my pocket is a Kershaw Junkyard Dog.

savagecanuck
08-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Been using a Buck 110 all my life from cleaning to skinning.Holds an edge and compact an easy to use.My original is probably 25yrs old and in great shape.If it aint broke don't fix it.

Blacktail
08-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Have lots of knives and have made lots for myself
My favorite is till one I made about 30 years ago
Nice drop point with ebony handles from an old planer blade

DDD
08-27-2011, 10:16 PM
"I'm surprised by some of the knives people think are great on here. I'm guessing they just don't know what a great knife is."
Correct Big Boar, you are guessing.

D

srupp
08-28-2011, 07:40 AM
BOG DOG thats my favorite knife..D2 steel resperone handle...will do a complete moose...

I have maybe 15 knives..... that the fav

bog dog is made by the BUSSIE knife works.....but diifernt shift RATWORKS...
Steven

Bow Walker
08-28-2011, 08:49 AM
"I'm surprised by some of the knives people think are great on here. I'm guessing they just don't know what a great knife is."
Correct Big Boar, you are guessing.

D
A person's favorite will be the one that does the job for him/her whether it's a "cheap" knife or a "custom made" knife.

Glassman
08-28-2011, 09:49 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used my Buck Vangurd to gut. Worked great. I used my Olfa to skin. Worked great. I KNOW WHAT A GREAT KNIFE IS.

Ben Fougere
08-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Great feedback guys!!!

I'm going to have to check out at least half a dozen new knives that I've never heard of before and the ones that I simply forgot were out there.

I like that cutco has a lifetime free sharpening. Are there any other knives out there that have this? Or can I turn this thread into another question.....
What is your favourite knife sharpener?

I'm thinking about getting an electric knife sharpener and don't want to buy a piece of junk. What's the best way to sharpen a knife?

BiG Boar
08-28-2011, 11:37 PM
lifetime free sharpening. Are there any other knives out there that have this?
What is your favourite knife sharpener?

Most custom made knife makers will sharpen for free also.
The best knife sharpener is the Lanskey system. Sold at most hunting stores, and works great.
However my favorite is a snap off click of the Olfa. Quick and instant.

I would love to have a challenge at one of the get togethers to see whos knife really is the sharpest and holds the edge the longest.

The Hermit
08-28-2011, 11:59 PM
So far I like my Fallkniven U2 for a pocket knife, Fallkniven WM1 for field dressing, and Fallkniven F1 for all purpose. They are available in different grades of steel... I went for the 3G. Not saying they are the best out there but for the money hard to beat. Yeah I'm biased cause I sell them but WTF... LOL

Dmytro
08-29-2011, 01:56 AM
The only non-custom knives I buy are from Busse made of their proprietary steel. I carry an 8" model for chopping. For slicing and filet I use custom knives. I have experience with both regular steel custom knives (e.g. CPM 30 and 90) and exotic steel knives and I would not take an exotic steel knife to the bush as I found them to be unreliable. They are fun to use though when you do not depend on them.

horshur
08-29-2011, 08:32 AM
The best way is to learn how by hand and then you can sharpen near any knife nearly anywhere for nearly your whole life!

SummitX
08-29-2011, 11:05 AM
I carry a Fallkniven S1, I am not some knife guru but this one has never let me down and puts up with alot of abuse, love it and would recommend it to anyone

taylor1
08-29-2011, 11:40 AM
i use a gerber freeman folder its a beauty knife holds it edge awesome and looks and feels great, not to big so its coumsy and its compact when foldeed in the sheath. its stainless and wood and i havent had a problem at all. it won the knife award a few years back in filed and stream. just a great product

BowsUp
08-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Roselli Bearclaw and a Buck folder. The former keeps an edge and the latter I have hit the back of with a rock, when required.
Find something you like the feel of. Everybody is different.

rides bike to work
08-29-2011, 09:06 PM
I cant belive no one has mentioned an old russel ive got one medium and one small for gutting skinning and butchering I love it past down from gramps gives them some sentimental value as well

WaderGator
08-29-2011, 09:34 PM
x2 on the russell. Have a SOG flash II for just a utility folding knife. had it for probably close to 10 years and its been great

Moose Guide
08-29-2011, 09:38 PM
My brother has a large Rigid that holds an edge far better than any other knife I have seen including my hand made knife that cost more than twice as much!!!

BlackwaterMerc
08-29-2011, 09:45 PM
A USMC Kabar. It will serve you for life and wont let you down.

Ogopogo
08-29-2011, 09:48 PM
victorinox fibrox $26.50 best de-boning knife out there

Truecraft
09-08-2011, 10:34 PM
I bought a Swingblade blade a couple of years ago and wouldn't trade it for any knife

SimilkameenSlayer
09-08-2011, 10:41 PM
cold steel rajah 2, excellent design, like the kukri blade.

Sooke Hunter
09-08-2011, 10:54 PM
How many extra blades do you get with that?

BCfishguy
09-10-2011, 07:40 PM
I've got a beautiful custom 4" knife that I love and carry and use everytime for nostaglia (even if for only a single cut) But for serious work, I use my havalon. 3 blades to debone an elk; another blade or two for a cape. Way too easy. I also carry a 3" gerber folder for everday camp use. Wouldn't trade these 3 for the world!

Gunner
09-10-2011, 07:50 PM
I carry 2,A Dozier Yukon Skinner in D2 and a Gene Ingram Bullnose Skinner in S30V. I have a Havalon but have never used it,I use Kreins Ultimate Caper for that purpose. Gunner

quackquackbang
09-11-2011, 11:20 AM
I use a Benchmade rant and the thing holds it edge great, cleaned and skinned two moose with it last fall and it held its edge threw both animals. The last moose I had to use the knife to break the pelvic bone since we left the saw and axe at the cabin.

Pre '64
09-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I got a Benchmade folder from these guys warriorsandwonders in Vancouver.

It's the best I've I owned so far, definitely high end if that's what you are looking for.

TyTy
09-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Grohmann big game on my belt
CRKT folder in my pocket
a caper, made by Blacktail, in my pack.

Goliath
09-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Puma Bowie is my long time sentimental favorite. Awesome steel too.

Other than that, my selection of Frost butcher knives can't be beat either.