PDA

View Full Version : The ideal 3D setup

RoscoeP
08-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Just wondering what everyone thinks is the ideal bow and accessories setup for 3D. I have a 5 pin sight but would like to be able to adjust my sight to the exact range I think the target is. Some of my friends have the single pin sight that is adjustable. I saw a Axcel AX 3000 yesterday that I really like the looks of. Looks like the Sure-Loc target style sights. Any opinions on these sights?
Both of my bows are 60 lbs and I am comfortable with them and would not go higher. They are also both around 31" Are most 3D bows longer?
All opionions appreciated. Cheers Roscoe

Bowzone_Mikey
08-25-2011, 09:53 PM
the Sure loc Surpreme is what most consider the industry standard for moveable sights ... they are a great sight ... Once we start talking these style of sights ... expect your wallet to get lighter.. You buy the sight ...which is the bow mount , the bar and the sight block .... then you gotta buy the housing/scope separatly .... expect about 5 hundy for a Sureloc Surpreme and cheap scope ...you can get much cheaper ones .... the Sureloc Challenger for instance ... almost the same as the Surpreme with some sutle differance (eg: you cant gang move the sight block ... you gotta click it all the way .... not a problem but really fricken annoying when last target was a 49 yard goat and this target is a 17 yard mosquito)

That said I use a Copper John ANTS sight for target ....I like it better than the sureLocs because of the curved sight block ... but have to replace bushings alot it would seem .... for Hunting I am using an HHA Optimizer 5519 ... Both have the same HHA scope housing but I am using a bigger peep aperature for hunting than I do for 3D and target ... the scope looks the same whether it be 3d or hunting...

Alot of People swear by the Detlef sight and its made right here in BC ... I have never used one ... but have seen them and they look to be top shelf material ...which would put them in line with reveiews I have read and heard. Google Detlef archery and you will find some results ... I dont think he has a real website .. but I may be wrong

as for bows .. by 31 I assume you are talking Axel to Axel .... Conventional thinking states a longer A2A holds better ... but in all honesty ... with the designs of todays bows ... it doesnt really matter ... all that matters is what feels confortable to you ... That said I use a 36" A2A bow and I am comfortable with it .... It holds just as steady as my older 42" target bow and i shoot better scores with the 36 than I did with the 42

Ruger4
08-26-2011, 07:00 AM
I have a new sight sponsor, as soon as they arrive my Detlef will be for sale shortly therafter ,pm for pics if interested

Bow Walker
08-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Looks like you've settled on "open class" for 3D. Mikey's right about the Sure-Loc sights. EXPENSIVE. Copper John, HHA, Spot Hogg, Trophy Ridge and Sword (among others) all make quality single-pin sights. You've got a bit of research ahead of you and depending on your budget, you'll come up with a winner.

I've had Sure-Loc Supreme (sold it) and now Trophy Ridge (love it). The TR is much easier to move but a tad bit less precise. If I remember correctly the Sure-Loc had something like 26 clicks per inch(?) of travel. Pretty fine adjustment when you're trying to dial-in on a target. It can get to be a P.I.T.A.

As for bows......use what you are comfortable with. The bow you know and like is the right one - not some long A2A heavyweight bow that is hard to carry and/or aim during the late afternoon round(s).

Here's a pic of my setup with the Sure-Loc sight...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Vectrix_XL_Riptide_Blue.JPG

Jonas111
08-31-2011, 06:05 PM
I have a new sight sponsor, as soon as they arrive my Detlef will be for sale shortly therafter ,pm for pics if interested

Site sponsor, bow sponsor, what next??? Holy cow.

Thought you were selling me your Detlef?

donny.brooke
08-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Site sponsor, bow sponsor, what next??? Holy cow.

Thought you were selling me your Detlef?

free corvette from chevy also i bet lol lol