PDA

View Full Version : Boats and loaded guns?

merc
08-25-2011, 09:28 PM
what are the rules on having a loaded gun on a motor boat that is under power.I cant find it in the regs.thanks.

mjmbc
08-25-2011, 09:32 PM
motor has to be out of the water then you can have the gun loaded

Gateholio
08-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Can't shoot from a boat under motorized power. No drive bys on moose. :)

little moose
08-25-2011, 09:36 PM
look under motorized vehicle no dif than quad or truck

cloverphil
08-25-2011, 09:41 PM
I thought we weren't supposed to shoot over water with a rifle, period ?
Shotgun okay though . . . . .

gitnadoix
08-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Untill the animals start carrying guns as well I see no need to carry it loaded in a boat.....some acidents can just never be undone.....

Gateholio
08-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Boats are fun!

http://youtu.be/o8T095mFdW8

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o8T095mFdW8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ape
08-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Motor Does not have to be out of the water. The motor does have to be disabled. If you have an inboard you must shut it off and remove the key. Pulling the tether on an outboard would also qualify as being disabled as it acts the same as pulling the key. As for having a loaded gun in a boat that is a no no same as in a vehicle.

sako_300
08-26-2011, 09:47 PM
all the above is negated if you have an open beer...

safe boating.

sparkes3
08-27-2011, 05:21 PM
according to the conservation officer i talked withat the boat launch when i was duck hunting your motor has to be shut off and all momentum from engine has to be gone ,so i asked about rowing a canoe or boat he said as long as all momentum from paddles is gone you can shoot.rowing /pushing /pulling all falls under conveyance pretty much the same as a bicycle i guess.drifting in your boat is ok so now im wondering if i was rolling down hill is it ok to shoot as long as there is no momentum from the peddles.

hoochie
08-27-2011, 05:26 PM
I think you're missing the point, or the intention of the reg. They are trying to make hunting birds fair, and saying that you cannot chase a flock of birds and shoot at them. If you are sitting there, in your boat, with decoys all around you... just pull the motor or pull the keys out. Simple.

.300WSMImpact!
08-27-2011, 05:28 PM
boats and hoes boats and hoes, who cares about the guns

sparkes3
08-27-2011, 08:23 PM
you dont have to lift the motor or take the keys out ,as long as the motor is off and momentum is stopped you can have your gun loaded.oh yeah and i was kidding about shooting while rolling down a hill on a bicycle.

77Gunner
08-27-2011, 10:00 PM
what if your not hunting just shooting?

Nekhani
08-27-2011, 11:02 PM
There is a lot of different answers to that question and it depends on what kind/size of boat/species hunted and how the boat is powered. Big difference between a outboard powered boat and a large boat with diesel power and a shaft laying at anchor. Pretty hard to trim up the shaft and there is no keys on a diesel boat..lots of variables in this question and lots of grey areas in this rule.I have yet to hear the right answer.. I have asked the CO's about this many times and never really been able to get a straight answer. Some say it falls under the Wildlife act and some say it falls under the Criminal code to do with loaded guns in a vehicle. I find it a little hard to believe that you could be arrested for shooting from a canoe powered by a paddle.... Common sense and Bottom line is that you seldom get a good shot from a boat on big game, so best to be on the land if possible for a good shot and a clean kill, unless of course you are laying out for ducks, geese or brant.

Glenny
08-28-2011, 12:32 AM
I think there could be a safety issue here too. You don't want a loaded gun rolling around in your boat while your'e powering through wavey waters. I heard of a guy getting shot dead in his boat when his dog stepped on the trigger.

Nekhani
08-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Thats right Big Glenny, That happened in the Ladner Marsh a few Years ago when a duck Hunters dog stepped on his trigger.

Rock Doctor
08-28-2011, 11:20 AM
I can only go on experience, but was told that as long as your motor is tilted out of the water, OR OTHERWISE DISENGAGED (mine does NOT tilt out of the water), you are good to load and shoot.
I did have a CO shoot at a wolf from my boat one time, so that tells me that I SHOULD be good to go. However, different CO's, different rules.

RD

hoho
08-28-2011, 06:35 PM
"No need to carry it loaded in a boat"
Few years back a hunting party hunt for moose up to the Stikine River.One of them had a loaded gun,and it went off ...shot a partner's leg.So lucky that the guy did not die,but the owner of the boat got a big legal issue.It not worth to have a loaded gun on the boat anyway.

Big D
08-28-2011, 06:56 PM
from what I have heard that even with inboard engines that you still have to lift the drive and turn off the key and take and take it out so you can not be under power, and with a LOADED GUN in a boat that is just irresponsible while running

Kapow
08-29-2011, 07:13 PM
How do you lift an inboard Jetdrive out of the water?

Surrey Boy
08-29-2011, 11:24 PM
How do you lift an inboard Jetdrive out of the water?

Lots of weight in the bow. Got my Bruce caught on a steel cable one time and the prop had some freeboard. We gaffed it off with no harm done.

Barracuda
08-30-2011, 12:49 AM
engine does not have to be lifted just turned off /disabled.(no propulsion)

Motor Vehicle

- means a device in, on or by

which a person or thing is being or may be

transported or drawn, and which is designed

to be self propelled, and includes an ATV or

snowmobile, but does not include a device

designed to be moved by human, animal or

wind power; a device designed to be used

exclusively on stationary rails or stationary

tracks; or a boat propelled by motorized power.

It is unlawfull to

18 to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a

boat propelled by a motor. (notice it says propelled and not just power boat)

19 to hunt migratory birds from a power

boat, unless the boat is beached, resting at

anchor or fastened within or tied immediately

along side a fixed hunting blind.

20 to use a power boat, aircraft, or motor

vehicle or other mechanical device to

herd or harass wildlife.

21 to hunt, take, wound or kill big game while

it is swimming unless it has been previously

wounded.

22 to discharge, carry or have in possession

a firearm containing live ammunition in

its breech or in its magazine attached to

the firearm, in or on a railway car, motor

vehicle, sleigh, aircraft, bicycle or other

conveyance.

23 to carry a cocked crossbow in or on a

vehicle, or to discharge a bow from a

vehicle of any kind

to hunt or transport

russm86
08-30-2011, 01:08 PM
I've had a CO tell our group one time if we couldn't just tilt the motor or take keys out and that we were supposed to disconnect the fuel line. Luckily our outboard jet is easily accessible on the front of the head and has a quick connect type connection. But basically the motor had to be completely inoperable.

pro 111
08-30-2011, 10:05 PM
A few tips for shooting out of the boat. Turn out and away from the animal making a wide circle , then head straight for it , stay on plane , and rest off of the winshield or the bow. Shoot while you are still planing as it is the most steady way. If you slow down your tail wake will catch up to you and make it hard to shoot . Make sure there are no rocks in your way as this can leed to premature discharge of the firearm and you will most likely spill your beer . Thats how we do it up here In Haida Gwaii. LOL
Then go ashore tilt the engine , retrieve your animal. Oh , and don't forget to unload your gun while you are gutting your deer as the CO may come around the corner and bust you.:mrgreen:

1/2 slam
08-31-2011, 07:55 AM
from what I have heard that even with inboard engines that you still have to lift the drive and turn off the key and take and take it out so you can not be under power, and with a LOADED GUN in a boat that is just irresponsible while running

Therin lies the problem. Rather than going by what you've heard look it up.