PDA

View Full Version : New to hunting, trying to learn

Haagen_Dazs
08-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Hey guys and gals,

I've had my firearms licence for a year now, I like precision shooting and own something of everything. I'd like to get into hunting and IPSC, but this place is only about hunting so anyway...

I'd just like some input on how the hunt goes from start to finish and what equipment I will need. I know this list will vary depending on game, season, preffered method, blah blah blah, so to clear things up: I'm looking to take a Vancouver Island deer with my 223. I would love to do all the butchering and de boning myself but will likley pay a shop to do it for me.

What I'm looking for is something like:

Find area for hunting
Drive out and set up camp
Scout
Make the shot
Field Dress (gut, skin, behead?)
Carry out (or quarter/half first)
Butcher at home (how?) or take to butcher

Equipment deemed necessary:

Binos
Small skinning knife
Hand saw
Ginder
ect..

Cheers!

Kevin

Jagermeister
08-25-2011, 09:00 AM
The first thing you should try to locate is someone that will act as your mentor and let you accompany them afield. That way you will gain firsthand experience.

Mr. Dean
08-25-2011, 10:12 AM
You seem to have this well thought out.... The one thing I don't see in your 'bio', is a hunting license - Have you obtained one?

Everything you seek can be found here on HBC; get using the search engine and pour a coffee, there's a ton of info in the database.
Don't overly worry about goin it alone. Many of us have learnt this way and continue to do so, till this very day.

The best help I can offer now is to KNOW the regulations of what you're seeking, in the MU you're hunting. If something else should appear that you haven't read up about (say a cat when deer hunting) let it walk and enjoy the experience. Also, expect nothing. This way EVERYTHING will be a reward, from the hiking in to the hike back out.

If you PM me some contact info, I got a DVD for you! It contains everything that you need to do with an animal the split second after the trigger is pulled, to the point of closing the door on the freezer. Very detailed info and lengthly - I wish I had it when I first started up.

Haagen_Dazs
08-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the info, I'd be interested in the DVD. I've been on CGN for a while so I've made friends with the search function lol.

I'm glad to hear people do it alone, it may come to that which schedules and what not.

DMAN009
08-25-2011, 12:29 PM
What's the name of the DVD?

steelheadSABO
08-25-2011, 04:13 PM
To start I'd get a good multi purpose hunting knife such as a buck omni hunter with a gut hook
A wyoming saw is very handy
Get some good bullets for your 223 not fmj
Then ask here for some information on areas
Watch some videos on gutting skinning and quartering
Plan on where your going to hang it before you shoot it (If it is hot outside).

Mr. Dean
08-25-2011, 04:18 PM
What's the name of the DVD?

Deer Processing 101
Seneca Productions (Outdoor Edge).

~ 20 bucks.

Haagen_Dazs
08-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Get some good bullets for your 223 not fmj

On my way to WSS in Nanaimo now, going to grab some good heavy hunting projectiles, or maybe some factory loads...

K-1
08-25-2011, 04:44 PM
The Island is a big place, might help to give some info to areas if we know what part of the island you are interested in.

Haagen_Dazs
08-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Im interested in hunting near Port ALberni/Coombs/Comox area