PDA

View Full Version : Whistler Area Hunting

ncaufield
08-24-2011, 10:07 AM
I have access to a place in Whistler, and am interested in spots I can do in one day trips (early am to late pm). This probably includes Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton, maybe as far as Lillooet? I was thinking regions 2:6, 2:7, and 2:9 to 2:11.

I would love some tips and recommendations on FSR's and other good spots.

Cheers in advance!

Gateholio
08-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Any of the FSR's in the area offer access to hunting for grouse, bear and deer. Grab a Backroads mapbook and explore. You can go south of Whistler to the Squamish areas or North to the Pemberton areas, and there is the whole Hurley/Meager road area.

longstonec
08-24-2011, 11:20 AM
What he said.

shadow1982
08-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Any of the FSR's in the area offer access to hunting for grouse, bear and deer. Grab a Backroads mapbook and explore. You can go south of Whistler to the Squamish areas or North to the Pemberton areas, and there is the whole Hurley/Meager road area.

Meager road is closed due to land slide that happened last year isn't it? My friends went there sometime in july and they said road is closed but they went up to the rec site anyways and said they did not see any sign of anything, other then forest warden that told them to leave.

Gateholio
08-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Road isn't closed as far as I know. Maybe the rec site is. Can't get across the river on a bridge, but that is many kms down the road...Lots of room in between.

If you are a bowhunter, you can hunt around the edges of Whistler, too. :)

shadow1982
08-24-2011, 01:28 PM
what do you guys think of Birkenhead, Rutherford FSR, soo FSR for grouse and deer?

Gateholio
08-24-2011, 01:52 PM
There are grouse, bear and deer up all those FSR's, as well as every single other FSR in the Sea to Sky area. I've shot bucks from Squamish to Lillooet. Ask Bartell why he calls his blacktail "The Timmy Buck" ;)

The main Pemberton herd migrates from Meager to Mackenzie basin (near Mt Currie reserve). As well, Pemberton deer have been known to summer all the way over in Goldbridge and migrate back in the fall. Also, some of the deer stay put in the agricultural areas of the Pemberton Meadows. If you have a youth hunter, you should be knocking on doors asking for permission to hunt the antlerless youth season in this zone, Sept 10-30

J_Scott
08-25-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm moving up to Whistler from Vancouver this weekend. I'm not an expert hunter so if anyone needs a tag-along I'd be willing to share meat to learn a bit of knowledge.

Really pumped to hear about that range you guys have up there Gatehouse, didn't even realize you had one up there, nevermind one that's 20 minutes from the new house. Out here I have to drive 2 hours (more in traffic) to get to one I can fire off the .308!

Gateholio
08-25-2011, 01:07 PM
The pemberton range is pretty nice, too.

J_Scott
08-25-2011, 01:47 PM
The pemberton range is pretty nice, too.

That's the one I meant! :) Wife and I just got a house in Alpine Meadows so you're only 20 minutes from us. I just sent in my application this week to join you guys. Hope to sight in the rifle just in time for hunting season.

My options were to drive 40 minutes (in traffic) to VGC in Richmond for skeet, or at least an hour to DVC in coquitlam or 2 hours to mission. Not fun. Good to have something pretty much in my backyard.

Casagrande
08-25-2011, 06:47 PM
There are grouse, bear and deer up all those FSR's, as well as every single other FSR in the Sea to Sky area. I've shot bucks from Squamish to Lillooet. Ask Bartell why he calls his blacktail "The Timmy Buck" ;)

The main Pemberton herd migrates from Meager to Mackenzie basin (near Mt Currie reserve). As well, Pemberton deer have been known to summer all the way over in Goldbridge and migrate back in the fall. Also, some of the deer stay put in the agricultural areas of the Pemberton Meadows. If you have a youth hunter, you should be knocking on doors asking for permission to hunt the antlerless youth season in this zone, Sept 10-30
Sing you canary sing! PM me for some of proguide's honey holes.