PDA

View Full Version : youth hunt question

city hunter
08-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Hi There I am wondering if I go youth hunt with my son (11 years old )he has to pull the trigger by himself or I can do it for him when we see the deer ?just want to make it clear,any help would appreciated,Thanks !!!

aliagha
08-23-2011, 11:08 PM
he has to be the one shooting the animal under your supervision.

coach
08-23-2011, 11:17 PM
Unless you are under the age of 18, he needs to do the shooting.

city hunter
08-23-2011, 11:33 PM
I got it,thanks buddy !!!

doubled
08-24-2011, 05:31 AM
Wouldn't be a youth hunt if you pulled the trigger.

valleycowboy
08-24-2011, 03:52 PM
ummmmm,is it APRIL FOOLS DAY?

jeff
08-24-2011, 04:24 PM
hey i talked to the game warden about that and he said if your kid has wounded it and you see its getten away u should take it down its kinda a grey area they dont want to see 5 deer wounded till the youngster finally gets a kill shot

Steeleco
08-24-2011, 04:38 PM
It is grey, but in the name of ethics the best follow up shot available is best for the animal. CH, if you son shoots any animal that you have a tag for, you'll need to cut that tag on your license. Trust me, it's a great feeling!!

nano
08-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Sorry to side track this thread, but can someone 18 YEARS OF AGE take part in the youth season or is it under the age of 18.
Thanks
Nano

aliagha
08-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Sorry to side track this thread, but can someone 18 YEARS OF AGE take part in the youth season or is it under the age of 18.
Thanks
Nano
Has to be Under 18 years of age to participate in the youth hunts.

eastkoot
08-24-2011, 07:42 PM
i talked to the game warden about that and he said if your kid has wounded it and you see its getten away u should take it down its kinda a grey area they dont want to see 5 deer wounded till the youngster finally gets a kill shot

You can't be serious?? If the kid can't do it him/herself they or you should not be involved in the hunt..

jeff
08-24-2011, 07:53 PM
are you kidding me eastkoot kids that are shooting animals for there first season aint going to make a clean shot every time i no they will try but dont fricken tell me my daughter shouldnt be hunting

BCsniper
08-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Any wounded animal, should be shot by whom ever has the chance in the hunting party, the shooter, father or camp cook

If theres any doubt in a shot, shoot again. But i guess its considered a grey area for a reason!

jeff
08-24-2011, 08:23 PM
You can't be serious?? now youve pissed me off who the hell are you to tell me or my son or daughter shouldnt be involved in the hunt you wanna watch wounded game run away are you perfect never wounded an animal and if you say yes i no what type of guy you are unfortanitly i gotta watch my temper on here im on thin ice aready but i think your an @#@##

horshur
08-24-2011, 09:28 PM
I see alot of adult hunters that can't keep the fever at bay it is near ridiculous to expect a first time youth hunter to make a cool and calculated shot.....this is why they hunt with adult mentors who hopefully can smooth things up if they go awry.
We need to encourage and help our youth! it is a "real" thing that they are attempting and it is not for the faint of heart.

Good luck for all the young hunters this September may the bucks be a little slow..the distance short and your aim true.

I look forward to the coming posts.

city hunter
08-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Yes ,I know.

city hunter
08-24-2011, 09:47 PM
It is grey, but in the name of ethics the best follow up shot available is best for the animal. CH, if you son shoots any animal that you have a tag for, you'll need to cut that tag on your license. Trust me, it's a great feeling!!
yes,I agree with you.

Gateholio
08-24-2011, 10:02 PM
I see alot of adult hunters that can't keep the fever at bay it is near ridiculous to expect a first time youth hunter to make a cool and calculated shot.....this is why they hunt with adult mentors who hopefully can smooth things up if they go awry.
We need to encourage and help our youth! it is a "real" thing that they are attempting and it is not for the faint of heart.

Good luck for all the young hunters this September may the bucks be a little slow..the distance short and your aim true.

I look forward to the coming posts.

Great post.

You should prep your kids as much as possible but you need to be ready to extinguish any fires if required.

Glassman
08-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Ok, let me 1st of all say that I am no expert but I have 2 youth hunters that have been hunting since they were 11, so I have some experience with what I am talking about. Practice, practice, practice shooting at paper targets and then those targets that look like a deer or whatever you are hunting for. Use a rifle that don't kick much. My 1st junior used and still uses to this day a .257 roberts. Junior #2 used and still uses a .270 win. The .270 had reduced loads in them for the first 3 years and a Limbsaver recoil pad on his Tikka M65. Best thing I ever did. Now he shoots full power loads. Use a "steady stick" for support and you will find that the odds of a deer being only slightly wounded are really reduced.
The big adjustment is for you, the parent. Junior needed for the first couple of deer more time to identify and shoot. The first couple of deer may get away on you/him. Thats why there is a Junior hunt. In the first part of Sept. the deer are not so spooked, so junior has more time. Let junior identify species and you confirm the shot or no shot. Remember, it's not about just shooting something it's about learning. If you train them to just shoot they will grow up to be a shooter. If you teach them to hunt they will grow up to be a hunter.
Anyways, those are my 2 cents worth. Junior #1 is mad because he just turned 18 and has to watch #2 get a deer first.

Steeleco
08-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Many of us have had shot on animals only to have them walk away and never be found, it's a sick feeling. To allow that to happen to a young new hunter would end their hunting days IMHO. As has been mentioned, get them as ready as they can be and be ready to back them up. It's the right thing to do.

Jeff, 99% of the posts so far are in agreement, don't let one post ruffle your feathers. Take the kid(s) out and have a good time.

steelheadSABO
08-24-2011, 10:55 PM
I would have to say that I do not think it's right if an adult shoots the game for the youth in a youth hunt. It would be like if the sockeye limit is 2 per person and you kept two for your four year old who didn't actually fish. But if you are confident that your son or daughter can make a clean kill and that they have proved this to you at the range then I don't see why you would need to shoot the animal for them.

Big Lew
08-25-2011, 08:17 AM
I would have to say that I do not think it's right if an adult shoots the game for the youth in a youth hunt. It would be like if the sockeye limit is 2 per person and you kept two for your four year old who didn't actually fish. But if you are confident that your son or daughter can make a clean kill and that they have proved this to you at the range then I don't see why you would need to shoot the animal for them.
I would have to agree. I think it's just as irresponsible to give a youth a gun without coaching on how to shoot game as it is for an adult. With your coaching and guidance, allow the youth to take the shot themselves. If, after the youth takes their shot, an animal is wounded, naturally, you, as their supervisor, should do whatever is needed to prevent the animal from escaping while wounded. Unfortunately, too many selfish adults take advantage of the youth season to fill their tags, spoiling the unique experience and opportunity designed to introduce youngsters to hunting.