PDA

View Full Version : Elk Burgers

buzz720
08-23-2011, 06:27 PM
I just had elk burgers, and I was wondering what are some tips on elk burgers that you guys have. BTW the recipe I used was 1 lbs ground elk, 1/4 sweet onion finely diced, 1 egg, and a pinch or two of garlic powder, paprika, and chipotle chile pepper. Mixed all together and then seared on both sides, on high heat, and then cooked on low heat on top of tin foil. They turned out unbelievably moist and delicious.

SUAFOYT
08-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Sounds good to me- it's the meat that makes it special. In my mind add anything you want to elk burger and it will always turn out good.

blackwater moose
08-23-2011, 06:41 PM
stuff the patty with mushrooms , bleu cheese , bacon, now you have yourself a burger!!!!

Fishhound
08-23-2011, 07:21 PM
I use packaged caesar salad croutons crushed in my burger for binder

buzz720
08-23-2011, 07:31 PM
I almost forgot. A side of home made oven baked french fries on the side.

thatskindafunny
08-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Your doing it. It just doesn't matter. A burger is a burger. If you get tired of your elk burger you can always drop it off at my place.

eaglesj
08-25-2011, 07:31 PM
I added half a pack of taco spice and some pickled jalepenos to my last batch. The were pretty good.

Tanya
08-29-2011, 05:38 AM
Trying soaking some panko crumbs in milk and then adding that instead of egg to whatever ground you're using. Keep it nice and moist. I like to sear patties nicely and finish on a rack over a cookie pan in a 300F oven, makes for evenly cooked and juicy patties.

Angus
08-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Mmm, elk burgers. A friend brought over some ground elk during one of the playoff games, and we made up burgers just like how I would make hamburgers.

For a lb. of ground elk, this is how I whipped up the burgers:

In a big bowl, add equal parts garlic powder and onion powder (about 1 tbsp. each). Add equal parts kosher salt, black pepper, smokey paprika, and chili powder (about 1 tsp. each). Add about 3 to 4 tbsp. ketchup, and one to two tbsp. of Worchestershire sauce.

Combine all the above with a fork or spoon, so it has the consistency of a thick BBQ sauce.

For a binding agent, I use about a tablespoon or two of dried basil flakes. The amount used is dependent upon how runny the sauce is. If too runny, add extra basil.

Break up the ground elk and mix it with the sauce in the bowl using your hands. Squish it all around to ensure the sauce gets all through the meat. Form into 3 or 4 meat balls of equal size, and flatten and shape using your hands. Don't over handle, or they could fall apart.

Throw them on a BBQ grill at med-high heat. Oil the grill first with some olive oil on a paper towel. To keep the burgers from shrinking from the edge and getting fat in the middle, use your thumb and make a dent in the middle of the burger on one side only. The dent should be about the size of a quarter or loonie, and about 1/4 inch deep. This will keep the burgers nice and big (in diameter).

Cook until desired done-ness, about 6 to 8 min per side. Keep your spray bottle (with water) handy to manage any flare ups.

Mikey Rafiki
08-29-2011, 11:00 AM
I like to marinade mine after they are made into patties for a day or so. This helps with the dryness of the leaner meat. Other than that you can add just about anything and they taste awesome.

Burger is the only thing I have left from last years 6 pointer. God willing in 3 days that will no longer be the case.

Tenacious Billy
08-29-2011, 11:18 AM
I use packaged caesar salad croutons crushed in my burger for binder

Nice touch! I've used stove top stuffing in moose/elk burgers before and it's pretty friggin' savory......

Foxton Gundogs
09-01-2011, 07:32 PM
I just had elk burgers, and I was wondering what are some tips on elk burgers that you guys have. BTW the recipe I used was 1 lbs ground elk, 1/4 sweet onion finely diced, 1 egg, and a pinch or two of garlic powder, paprika, and chipotle chile pepper. Mixed all together and then seared on both sides, on high heat, and then cooked on low heat on top of tin foil. They turned out unbelievably moist and delicious.

Sounds good to me I quite often add an equal amount of sausage meet(mild,hot italian, cerizo, honey garlic whatever sounds good at the time) to any game burger which I usually grind Xtra lean which alows me to add what ever fat content at a later date. fast and simple game meatloaf......burger, spicey italian sausage, diced onion p package stove top stuffing 2 eggs, mix form bake 3/4 hr 350 top with mushrooms and a can of gravey bake another 20 min and enjoy. fast simple with little prep.

bad dog
09-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Found the best thing on elk burger ,,is cheese and bacon ,, and another burger ,,!!

Tron
09-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Seasoning salt, pepper, a small amount of Montreal steak spice, diced garlic and onion, bread crumbs egg and milk. Never heard a complaint before.

eastkoot
09-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Just add a bit of beef fat when you get your burger ground at the butchers or if you do it yourself. Then lightly oil patties and add a little Saskatewan steak spice, Montreal steak spice or plain salt and pepper to taste. A few pieces of crisp bacon, a slab of sweet onion, tomato, and a slice of your favorite cheese on a sesame seed bun and your good to go.. Don't over cook it, just pink till juices are clear. Mayo or relish is optional..Oh, and a big dill pickle on the side..:-D

ElectricDyck
09-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Wow you guys sure get fancy, we just fine grind once, make a patty, through a little seasoning on while it's on the barbque and good to go. Although I probably do go overboard on the mayo and banana peppers.

Chody
09-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Lets get to the meat of this-
I usually do 1lb meat(any super lean), 1 egg, 1/4 cup crushed croutons (3 cheese is yummy) 1/2 onion finely minced, and 6-8 mushrooms finely minced. Mix in bowl all together. I have a patty maker, so squish em out, and cook em up.

The saucy aftermath-
mix 1 cup water, 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce in a disposable aluminum loaf pan
when burgers are 95% done, throw the tray of sauce on BBQ on high, and you pretty much boil your burgs in it for at least 2 minutes, burgers come out moist, and delicious.

bozzdrywall
09-23-2011, 12:51 PM
When I do burgers it's usually for a party. Or family get together.
2-3 lbs of elk burger, 1/4 lb of bacon, first cut the bacon into as small of pieces as you can cook for 10 min but not till the bacon is crispy place in bowl with the burger while still warm then add 3oz of jack dan 3oz of maple syrup and a little bit of brown sugar, 1 red onion chopped super fine 2 cloves of garlic again chopped fine, add a little water 1 or 2 eggs and some crutons mix it all up and enjoy. This makes for one sweet burger I like to let it all sit together over night in the fridge to let all the flavors penetrate the meat. But this is a secret recipie so don't tell anyone. Ha ha
Enjoy