PDA

View Full Version : what bow to buy hoyt ? help a rookie plssssssssss

vortex hunter
08-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Hey all you pointy stick hunters well.... I wanna try the best of both worlds and am looking to buy a bow for hunting all game . I would like to know about what different things to consider before buying a bow I really like Hoyt bows they seem to be the caddy's of bows but dont know Sh_t about whats a good bow please help me out guy's / Ladys .....NC

TheProvider
08-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Go to proshops and test as many bows as you can.... there's really no "best" bow ompany out there. The best bow is the one that fits you and feels most comfortable for you to shoot. Try out as many bows from different companies as you can. Good luck

mikeboehm
08-22-2011, 09:06 PM
The providers right many many good bow companies out there. Try and see what fits u better. I was a rookie to bows last year. I didnt try many bows. I wanted speed so i bought the fastest bow on the market. A pse omen pro. It ended up fitting me good and i love shooting it. Its not as smooth as others or easy to draw but its smoking fast. Try as many bows as u can

vortex hunter
08-22-2011, 09:16 PM
thanks you guys will go to boormen tomorrow

Ike
08-22-2011, 09:23 PM
There are so many great bows these days, covering all price ranges and lots of value for the $$

The best thing I can suggest is to buy a bow from a person/store that will provide full and good follow-up support. Price is one thing but follow up service and support is more crucial.

Also buy a bow that suits your situation and needs, as well as your limitations. For example there is no point having a Matthews if there is no Matthews dealer nearby.

My PSE Axe6 is a great bow, but it went out of tune and there is no bow press or PSE dealer for 450 km, so I am now have a bow I can't shoot. I recently added an APA dual cam that I can tune and change strings/cables myself, and had to order a bow press so I can tune my PSE.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you end up with.

leftfield
08-23-2011, 06:32 AM
Forget about Boormans the are done! I purchased a new Hoyt CRX 32 from them this spring and actually got it for a reasonable price. BUT when it came to outfit this bow the had very little knowledge or stock of accesories. They dont know s$$t about hunting bow set up! They want to sell you what they have on the shelves. I tried ordering all the components from him but it was like pulling teeth and finally gave up. I ended up ordering all the stuff from the states. Saved money,tons of selection and they are up to date on the newest and greatest equipment. Forget about our ''bowshops'' here in B.C. the are a joke. There are 5 great shops within an hour drive across the border and are way more knowledgable or simply order online if you know what you want. My 2cents P.s. Don't mess around buy HOYT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ghost
08-23-2011, 07:11 AM
I have a hoyt I bought at Boormans. It is a great bow ,they have always been helpfull.They do have one employee that can be a bit arrogent.[big fat guy]

Bow Walker
08-23-2011, 09:21 AM
thanks you guys will go to boormen tomorrow
Boorman's is a good place to pick up and try different bows. As to their knowledge about hunting and tricking out hunting bows - well, I'm not too sure they are the best.

Make the trek out to Abby and go see Wayne at Big Game Archery. He knows bows and he knows hunting.

What to put on your bow?

Sight: minimum 4-pin sight with bright fiber optic threads (but not too many either) - get a small guard sight, big guards are too difficult to get the sight housing into the peep aperture properly - which you need to do to aim quickly and properly.

Stabilizer: something in about the 5 to 10 inch range, and not too heavy - you don't want it 'puling' your bow forward while you're trying to aim and shoot.

Peep: get one that is not too small and not too big - something in the "large hunter" size should do. You want to be able to see the sight housing (or at least the glo-ring) but you do not want to see space around the sight housing. A larger aperture on the peep will gather a bit more light in the early morning and late afternoon.

Release: get it to fit your hand properly - that is, when it's on your wrist the head lays in you palm and the tip of the release head is just at the muddle knuckle of your trigger finger. Don't mess with "back tension" releases at this point in time - they're way to hard to master and are not suitable for hunting.

Arrow Rest: one that will 'fall away' at the shot and one that will 'capture' the arrow and not let it flop around while you're hunting and one that has a padded launcher. Put some stick-on fleece on the arrow shelf and riser and maybe the bottom of your sight too - the idea is to cushion anywhere that the arrow might contact, keeping noise to a minimum.

That's the basic stuff - it'll get you out there and do the job for you. Providing that you do your job by practicing a lot. Practicing allows you to become very familiar with your bow.

It lets you know how the bow shoots. It lets you know how the arrow flies - especially at yardages over 20. You have got to know how the arrow flies when you're shooting at longer distances.

The arrow is like a bullet, in that it flies on a parabolic trajectory - not in a straight, flat line - to the target. It is imperative that you become familiar with your equipment. It has to become second nature to you.

That's what practice does.

Good luck with your new bow and don't be shy about asking questions.

the above is - of course - just my humble opinion.........

hoyt
08-24-2011, 12:27 PM
I have used Hoyt all my life and for me they are great but other bows may fit you better.
Go try a few and feel them, you will know once you hold the right one!
I have recently bought the Hoyt Carbon Element, wow this thing is sick!
I played with cam options to seed things up, it's a tach driver!
Also, this bow is light and when it's cold out, it is warm to the touch, no metal and you can feel it, it stays warm in hand, another great reason to try one out!
Good luck! Take yout time and buy the bow that best fits you!

wsm
08-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Boorman's is a good place to pick up and try different bows. As to their knowledge about hunting and tricking out hunting bows - well, I'm not too sure they are the best.

Make the trek out to Abby and go see Wayne at Big Game Archery. He knows bows and he knows hunting.

What to put on your bow?

Sight: minimum 4-pin sight with bright fiber optic threads (but not too many either) - get a small guard sight, big guards are too difficult to get the sight housing into the peep aperture properly - which you need to do to aim quickly and properly.

Stabilizer: something in about the 5 to 10 inch range, and not too heavy - you don't want it 'puling' your bow forward while you're trying to aim and shoot.

Peep: get one that is not too small and not too big - something in the "large hunter" size should do. You want to be able to see the sight housing (or at least the glo-ring) but you do not want to see space around the sight housing. A larger aperture on the peep will gather a bit more light in the early morning and late afternoon.

Release: get it to fit your hand properly - that is, when it's on your wrist the head lays in you palm and the tip of the release head is just at the muddle knuckle of your trigger finger. Don't mess with "back tension" releases at this point in time - they're way to hard to master and are not suitable for hunting.

Arrow Rest: one that will 'fall away' at the shot and one that will 'capture' the arrow and not let it flop around while you're hunting and one that has a padded launcher. Put some stick-on fleece on the arrow shelf and riser and maybe the bottom of your sight too - the idea is to cushion anywhere that the arrow might contact, keeping noise to a minimum.

That's the basic stuff - it'll get you out there and do the job for you. Providing that you do your job by practicing a lot. Practicing allows you to become very familiar with your bow.

It lets you know how the bow shoots. It lets you know how the arrow flies - especially at yardages over 20. You have got to know how the arrow flies when you're shooting at longer distances.

The arrow is like a bullet, in that it flies on a parabolic trajectory - not in a straight, flat line - to the target. It is imperative that you become familiar with your equipment. It has to become second nature to you.

That's what practice does.

Good luck with your new bow and don't be shy about asking questions.

the above is - of course - just my humble opinion......... is ron boorman still there ? i have always bee preferential to martin bows , but its just a preferance, i have a pse as well . unless im gonna be in a stand, i like my bows, min 36" axle-axle and 6.5" brace height and go from there

vortex hunter
08-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks Bow walker that was a good read and U sound like a good teacher lol Nick

Bowzone_Mikey
08-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Dont jump into bed with a Brand just yet ... You are right tho Hoyts are sweet shooting bows .. But so are about 6-10 other brands that I can think of off the top of my head.

My first bow was a PSE ... then I aquired a Martin and thought this is awesome it dont get any better ... then I picked up a Hoyt ...and about 8 other Hoyts since then .... then Bowtech caught my fancy because they did one little tweek to the grip over their previous models that made it fit me better than the Hoyts 3 or 4 them later.... I am Shooting Elites ... right now I cant see me straying from them .. but who knows what the 2012 models will bring ...

Point is ... Try all that you possibly can before you buy ..... some might call ya a player (think of it as sowing oats before marriage ;))

The Hermit
08-24-2011, 09:13 PM
... unless im gonna be in a stand, i like my bows, min 36" axle-axle and 6.5" brace height and go from there

I started out with a PSE and at the time, not too long ago actually, the 36" axle to axle was sound advice. Since then the technology and design that has gone into the new bows has made that philosophy somewhat out of date and the new short bows wonderfully consistent. I have a 30" axle to axle bow that shoots FAR smoother, faster, and more consistently accurate than my four year old 36" PSE. Sure, I am a better shot now but I credit the Limbsaver Deadzone 30 with most of the improvement! The first time I shot it, once Cam from Darkhorse archery got it all set and tuned up, I shot a five arrow 3" group at 60 yards.

No one has mentioned traditional bows in this thread yet and if you like simple, light and deadly you might want to consider a recurve too. Steeper learning curve to be sure but WAY more fun too!

leftfield
08-24-2011, 09:52 PM
I have found that most bowshops around lowermainland , well all two of them, seem to be PSE dealers. I'm not too familiar with other shops around B.C. so I can't comment. If your looking to purchase a new bow remember that these guys are "salesmen" and are getting these PSE's at reduced prices therefore making good money on them. Don't feel pressured to buy anything just because it's all they carry. Your much better off to find a shop that has a good selection,again look south of border, and before you even talk to anyone find one that feels good in your hand. I'm on my second Hoyt and don't think I will ever shoot anything else.The only downside to Hoyt is trying to find the model, colour and draw length that you want around here. Boorman's used to be a Hoyt dealer put are now " pushin' " PSE's and whatever else they have left on the shelves from 5 years ago. And yes Ron is still there along with his daughter who is the new "bowtech" if can catch her between smoke breaks. Vanwinkle's in Everette Wa. has a good selection or can bring them in alot quicker. Your gonna pay a little less down there for the bow and alot less for all the accesories. Dave's sporting goods in Lynden has a very good selection of accesories.
Again I can't speak for shops outside lowermainland but I've spent alot of time over the years in local shops and have seen many newbies walk through the door and leave with a bow because thats the brand they are selling today.

Bow Walker
08-25-2011, 09:10 AM
My first bow was from Boormans - yup, a PSE. That's all there was for selection and at the time I didn't know anything about bows. I got used to it - although I was never completely satisfied with the service nor the advice I got. Boormans bow tech was a target shooter and that's what he knew. I wanted hunting expertise and there wasn't any to be had.

I went to Martin, to Bowtec (Diamond) and now to Hoyt (target bow). Along the way I became "self-taught/educated" about archery and setting up and tweaking bows. leftfield is right in that they'll sell you what they got rather than help you find a brand that you like.

Try lots - or as many as you can. Order off the internet if you can't find it locally. Get what you want.

wsm
08-25-2011, 09:28 AM
this is when i miss having mike and rhonda from specailty shoot . they were so helpful. i have heard good things about biggame archery. but cant comfirm they

Bow Walker
08-25-2011, 05:08 PM
My second bow (a Martin) was from Mike and Rhonda's shop. Talk about service. They personified the word.

wsm
08-25-2011, 07:22 PM
My second bow (a Martin) was from Mike and Rhonda's shop. Talk about service. They personified the word.
it's funny many people know mike and rhonda on a first name basis. that says something

Bow Walker
08-26-2011, 09:50 AM
If I recall correctly - they sold the business and moved up/into the Kootenays. Supposedly they were going to open up and go online once they got settled. Try googling specialty and shooting sports...........(where they came up with that name I'll never know).

Bow Walker
08-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Just googled Specialty Shooting Sports Outdoors and there they were. Although the site doesn't make mention of any names, it looks like they're in Creston BC.