PDA

View Full Version : Anybody seeing many moose calves?

ARC
09-05-2006, 08:35 AM
I hunted the early moose season near Fort St. John with some friends from down south. We ended up taking a couple of bulls and seeing a fair number of cows, but not a single calf. We mentioned this to a fellow hunter who was at the butchers the same time we were. He said that he had been stopped by the CO, and that the CO told him that the black bears were taking an incredibly high number of the calves this year. The CO continued to tell him that he would be doing everyone a favour if he picked up a couple bear tags while he was up here and blasted a bear or two.

Has anybody else heard of this problem? Have guys been seeing many moose calves so far this year? I did see a few in the early summer while scouting out some places, but none since.

ianwuzhere
09-05-2006, 09:19 AM
i have been seeing about the same as every other year here. Tho i havent seen any in the last 3 weeks... But ya i agree with the CO's there, for the ungulate populations to be better any predator alive is not a good one... ~ianwuzhere~

Tarp Man
09-05-2006, 09:31 AM
I was up in Fort St. John also for the early season. My buddy and I saw maybe 6 calves to at least double that many cows. We didn't see asingle bear though! We were out for opening week and not a single bruin. Even with all the fresh gut piles. Last year we were out a week later and there were bears everywhere!

Schmaus
09-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Every time I get stopped by a CO they almost always comment on how good it is that I have a black bear tag and how we need more people to hunt them. And for the moose calf question, no I haven't really seen any calves around PG.

ASPEN
09-05-2006, 11:29 AM
NORTH OF FSJ- 2nd week of season - every cow had a calf except one ( 6 or 7)- and saw 10-15 bears.

brotherjack
09-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Speaking of that kind of thing; after several years of seeing most doe's with at least one, and usually two or even three fawns, this year since the start of bow season, neither my wife nor I have seen a single fawn (and we've seen plenty o' does). It's kind of spooky actually - my wife was just commenting on it this morning.

rollingrock
09-05-2006, 12:29 PM
How about this one?http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_1587.JPG