PDA

View Full Version : Snake!

Ourea
08-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Most people living in the South Okanagan are used to coming across snakes on the golf course. This one certainly got my attention as I walked up to my ball. This is the largest snake I have come across in this area.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/IMG00696.jpg

Tenacious Billy
08-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Did you beat it down with a 9 iron????

rocksteady
08-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Did you beat it down with a 9 iron????

Always make sure you use enough "gun".....I would suggest a 1 wood, minimum, if you have a "big bertha"..even better....

dogger
08-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Wow, that would definately get my attention. Anybody know what kind it is?

SHAKER
08-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Nice bull snake! Thats definatly "booner".

They're agressive but non lethal.

Caveman
08-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Looks like you could have used one of these snake eyes fairway woods!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/snake.jpg

d6dan
08-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Nice bull snake! Thats definatly "booner".

They're agressive but non lethal.

Let him live, they eat rattlers and mice, etc..

finngun
08-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Remember, all snakes including rattlesnakes are protected under B.C.’s Wildlife Act. It is illegal to kill or harm snakes, or to remove them from the wild.

bcfarmer
08-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Definitely the grampa Walter of Bull Snakes. Think of the amount of mice he has to eat in a day to maintain that physique.

bcf

ps. would have scared the crap out of me....big phobia about snakes.

Kalum
08-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Great... snakes... i f'n hate snakes... We're headed down to the okanagan tomorow and now i'll be having nightmares about snakes ...

SHAKER
08-22-2011, 11:49 AM

Never noticed that before...... LOL

08-22-2011, 11:53 AM
My wife would throw a biscut, but thats a cool snake!

Ourea
08-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Here's another pic of him........gorgeous bull snake. He got a little pissy when I got close to him.
It was kinda funny as about 20 minutes later I heard an hysterical scream coming from that general location ...... guess a gal in the group behind me came across his path as well

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/IMG00697.jpg

ratherbefishin
08-22-2011, 11:59 AM
My grain farmer friends in Nebraska really valued a bull snake in the barn-they were better than a cat for keeping rats down,but to someone not familiar with them,they do give you a start...

Amphibious
08-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Snakes = awesome.

Golf.... well.... cool snake!

;)

mxracer328
08-22-2011, 12:06 PM
holy crap, if i walked up on that bugger i would have to change my shorts

tuffteddyb
08-22-2011, 12:08 PM
after i landed it would be thats a cool snake!
i would let it live to eat rodents and other snakes.
i stopped traffic on our road last week to chase a big garter snake off the road,whew! do they stink!

Alpine85
08-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Man that is a big prick

Wrayzer
08-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Thats a beaut, almost pizza popped one sunning itself up Dilworth dr a few years back.

Jagermeister
08-22-2011, 01:24 PM
That's a fine specimen. I think if I were to encounter that snake in some taller grass, I would have to levitate to a new location. Another thing that would cause me to levitate would be a giant water beetle if I happened to spot one while wading in a creek.

Jetboater
08-22-2011, 03:44 PM
thats why I roll in a cart up to my ball. that way I can accidentally back over it a few times

Tenacious Billy
08-22-2011, 03:58 PM
thats why I roll in a cart up to my ball. that way I can accidentally back over it a few times

Better safe than sorry!!!

The Hermit
08-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Snake always give me a start but I actually like them with bbq sauce... killed lots of rattlers back in Ont as a kid at the cottage.

frenchbar
08-22-2011, 04:12 PM
cool ..we used to catch them as kids and play with them and scare the hell out of people LOL should of stuffed him in your bag and let him loose in the clubhouse for kicks .haha

.300WSMImpact!
08-22-2011, 04:13 PM
use to get a lot bigger snakes up in black mountain (kelowna) years back, but always nice to see them, been seeing a few rattlers too this year OKpark is fun for all types of things I guess

pnbrock
08-22-2011, 06:06 PM
I had no idea we had snakes that big in bc,i would have pooped if i saw that in front of me.

springpin
08-22-2011, 06:48 PM
A good snake is a dead one....I HATE snakes!! Creepy *******s.

The Silent Stalker
08-22-2011, 07:11 PM
That would have scared me into never playing golf again. I had a 5.5' rattler come at us once while camping in the OK, I freaked and killed it before I realized what I was doing. I hate em, scared like a little girl from them. I felt bad, but I thought I was threatened so..... I f'en hate em!

Pete
08-22-2011, 08:14 PM
This is not a Bull Snake it is a Great Basin Gopher Snake. It is harmless, though it will bite you if provoked. Defense posture is the same as a Rattlesnake. Curled up, head raised in striking position, tail is shaken quickly aping a rattlesnake. They will hiss very loudly which sounds exactly like a Rattlesnakes rattle. This is a non venomous species. look at it's head. "Eye of black friend of Jack. Eye of Yellow kill a fellow"

5 spike
08-22-2011, 08:18 PM
when i was a kid i used to cut across the fairway at kelowna golf and country club to get home and i stepped right on one of these bull snakes scared the crap out of me. this one is a very good size. god i hated those things.

Ourea
08-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Pete, I was not aware of this species and i can see how it could easily be misinterpreted as a bull snake. This snake was well over 6 feet long. Being very active in the field I come across various snakes regularly and the size of this snake blew me away. Thanks for the insight.

250 sav
08-22-2011, 09:29 PM
I beleive what most of us call a Bull snake in the interior is a Gopher Snake and they can grow to 100" 8' 4"or 2.5 metres.
Growing up in Savona I saw them up to 7' long and Rattlers on the north side of kamloops lake 6' long.

.330 Dakota
08-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Definitely the grampa Walter of Bull Snakes. Think of the amount of mice he has to eat in a day to maintain that physique.

bcf

Probably eats coyotes lol

Ourea
08-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks for for further clarification 250 sav. I know ur neck of the woods and it is definitely snake country. I have stumbled into a lot of rattle snakes in my day (well over a hundred) and i have only seen one that was in that 5'+ size and it was a hog, big around as my forearm. If you have 6 footers up there all the Chuckar/mule deer/sheep hunter's should take note and be snake aware in the early season..... Once you stumble into a rattler ur focus is no longer on hunting, ....it's on worrying about where ur feet are going........

Ourea
08-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Common names
Pacific gopher snake, coast gopher snake, bull snake, Churchill's bull snake, Oregon bull snake, Pacific pine snake, western bull snake, western gopher snake, western pine snake, yellow gopher snake.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pituophis_catenifer#cite_note-W.26W57-0)

Big Lew
08-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks for for further clarification 250 sav. I know ur neck of the woods and it is definitely snake country. I have stumbled into a lot of rattle snakes in my day (well over a hundred) and i have only seen one that was in that 5'+ size and it was a hog, big around as my forearm. If you have 6 footers up there all the Chuckar/mule deer/sheep hunter's should take note and be snake aware in the early season..... Once you stumble into a rattler ur focus is no longer on hunting, ....it's on worrying about where ur feet are going........
Used to be a lot of rattle snakes on both sides of Kamloops Lake before irrigation ditches and pig farms. One place to be very careful is railway tracks. The snakes will get between the tracks overnight or early in the morning and get trapped by the hot rails during the day....have seen several along the tracks south of Savona.

Big Lew
08-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Many years ago I was carrying my canoe up out of Canoe Lake on the north end of Canoe Indian Reserve between Clinton and Gang Ranch when I had the living spirits scared out of me by a medium-sized gopher snake. The steep side-hill had steps carved out by cattle, and I was stepping up sideways one step at a time portaging the canoe in the heat of the day when I came face to face with the snake all coiled up and shaking it's tail. My left hand holding the canoe gunnel was about a foot from him. My heart rate was already high from the heat and exertion and all I could do was remain still, hoping what I thought was a rattle snake, didn't strike because I thought with my racing heart, I would be dead in short order. After what seemed forever, it took off and I was able to get a better look at it and see it wasn't a rattler, it was about 3--3 1/2 feet long. I almost blacked out from the combination of heat, exertion, and fright.....never forget that one!

springpin
08-22-2011, 10:31 PM
No matter what you call it. It's still a snake... Creepy *******s!!

kennyj
08-23-2011, 05:31 AM
Nice! Thats a beauty.
kenny

Elkhound
08-23-2011, 02:31 PM
look at it's head. "Eye of black friend of Jack. Eye of Yellow kill a fellow"

Snake that big. I aint getting ****ing close enough to tell you the color of its eyes.

Elkhound
08-23-2011, 02:34 PM
And another reason not to Golf

Pete
08-23-2011, 03:08 PM
You actually can see the eyes from quite aways away. Can be a real bowel cleaner, especially in long grass. We capture and relocate quite a few every year. Month of Sept. is typically our busiest for all snake species.

cumminsforever
08-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Living in Osoyoos/Oliver area we see em all the time killed a few with my truck by accident.

Big Lew
08-23-2011, 08:39 PM
"This is a non venomous species. look at it's head. "Eye of black friend of Jack. Eye of Yellow kill a fellow"

Snake that big. I aint getting ****ing close enough to tell you the color of its eyes.

I wish I had known that bit of advice....I was definitely close enough to look it in the eye, (they were black) but I'm pretty sure I would still have been scared as hell though wondering if it was really true.

rides bike to work
08-23-2011, 09:46 PM
I got lunged at by a large bush master snake on a trail in costa rica never been so scared in my life it came about 6 inches from my face mouth wide open when I got back to the village we were staying at we id it in a book and found out I would have been dead in minutes .The villagers put toghther a hunting party (they didnt like the idea of haveing abush master on their trail.I couldn't go back into the jungl for weeks.