PDA

View Full Version : What ammo will you be using this season?

WaderGator
08-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Well duck season is just around the bend and its almost time to start stock-piling shells. What is everyone using this year? Last year I had a lot of success with Winchester Xpert HV 3" #3's. Easy to find, cheap and seemed to kill ducks.

warnniklz
08-22-2011, 10:00 AM
I'll probably be sticking with black cloud.... I may try blind side just because.

Foxton Gundogs
08-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Tried Black Cloud wasn't impressed, I will probably try the new Winchester "stack and pack" load with the funny pellets(whatever they are calling it), but my go to is Remington 1550s 3" #2s. takes care of ducks well and those wayward honkers.

warnniklz
08-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Tried Black Cloud wasn't impressed, I will probably try the new Winchester "stack and pack" load with the funny pellets(whatever they are calling it), but my go to is Remington 1550s 3" #2s. takes care of ducks well and those wayward honkers.

The square pellets?? They're calling it blind side

Foxton Gundogs
08-22-2011, 12:28 PM
The square pellets?? They're calling it blind side

Thanks, probably remember that for about 10 min. Great memory just very short lol

pse&remington
08-22-2011, 02:01 PM
I am using WINCHESTER XP3 180g in a 30-06

Try out their ballistics calculator

08-22-2011, 02:14 PM

I usually go Kent With a drab of Black cloud.
But Jim has me wanting to try the Remmies due to cost factor. And Long Shot jr Had started me thinkin it.

warnniklz
08-22-2011, 03:41 PM
When you get special pricing on federal and winchester shotgun ammo... it gets you reaching for them instead. I still have a bunch of winchester #2 3" Drylok samples (they're in packs of 3) back from the 80's damn I hate them. I still have a few boxes of the Mad Scientist's hand loads too.

08-22-2011, 03:43 PM
I wonder if thoes Stack'um Winchesters will let me pass shoot farther out?

Trollin''''' Lookin for a bite :)

warnniklz
08-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Ah ha I'll bite. I haven't tried them... just speculating. But I think they'll connect pretty hard however I don't think you'll be able to reach out with them. Go throw a hardball and then go throw a block that is the same size and weight. I think most prefer the hardball. I also don't see the pattern to be very tight on the "stack'um" however there will be for shot flying through the air. I'm going to try them for sure and I'm not expecting much, but I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

nano
08-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Going to give Black Cloud a try this year!

08-22-2011, 04:11 PM
You know, The single most dummest thing i ever did with shooting was...
When i first got into duck hunting i was cruzing shells, Id buy a box of these and a box of thoes. Id save three shells out of every box. Wrote in sharpie on them what they were so if the writing faded i could still read the sharpie. My intent was to pattern them at 20-30-40 yds in my 835. There was about 5-6 different brands in there #2s and BB's.

Well one day my buddy wanted to go shooting, he had just split with his girl friend and needed "The anger management plan" so I grabbed my 835 and a bunch of recycleing milk jugs etc and the only ammo i had was thoes saved shells,,,,,, I succeeded in giving a friend a brused shoulder and a better mind frame.,,,, 3-1/2" ulti mag to a 4ltr jug of water will cheer up even the glummest person.

Just never got to pattern my gun.

Yes all that went in the forrest came back even the shot cups, some times you need an impromptu blast!

f350ps
08-22-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm gonna stick with the Xpert blended shot knowing full well that I probably won't kill anything with them but I sure look cool trying. K

Crazy_Farmer
08-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Thats half the battle right there Kelly.

Bucks&Ducks
08-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Im interested in trying out the Kent Fast steel shot, it sound like a good product, I have never seen it in stores around the isalnd so do you have to order it or am i just looking in the wrong places

fowl language
08-22-2011, 05:40 PM
not only will you look cool, you will be able to knock em out of the sky up to 100 yds.i,ve witnessed you shoot birds at great distances and you,ve inspired me to switch over to the blended shot. thx kelly you,ve been quite an inspiration...fowl

Qwa-honn
08-22-2011, 11:21 PM
so far I have only purchased a single flat of 3" but it has bb's , 2's and 4's. next on the list is a flat of 3.5" 2's.

bearhunter338-06
08-23-2011, 08:11 AM
If I manage to pull it off I will be picking up a new BPS this fall, I will be using Federal Premium steel shot. You don't have much of a choice when it comes to 16ga steel shot.

WaderGator
08-23-2011, 05:26 PM
i think this year i'll be making the investment and patterning a few different shells. I can't say ive had any problems with the cheap stuff but it wouldn't be hunting season without speculating over every little detail of your kit. I could see blind side being pretty devastating close in but i don't see how it would have any range. what was that in the movie tombstone? 18 dimes stacked in a shotshell. maybe thats the next big thing :mrgreen:

Tanya
08-24-2011, 06:04 AM
Have tried a number of different ones, mostly I like Fed.Prem. Was kindly given some Blackclouds last season by a gracious friend, tried them, but they continually jammed in my gun. The Kents were OK, and I've brought ducks down with Xperts, but I think Fed Premium is my gun's favorite.

Chessieguy
08-24-2011, 08:29 AM
I will be sticking with Kents, have tried a variety of different shells, and had success with most of them. I tried some BlackCloud and was not at all impressed with them, guess that's why the box that I got was 4th hand...

I think that consistency is the key, changing velocities is one of the biggest culprits out there.

Does not matter what name is on the box, as long as it kills what your shooting at!!!

Spirit's Master
08-24-2011, 10:12 AM
After a couple of years of trying different shell and shot size, I've found that Fed Premium 3"/#3's work best for me for ducks and 3"/BB's for geese. Could be a real difference or just confidence in my shooting and the added experience. Either way birds are dropping so I'll stick with it.

Oh yeah and I picked up a case of the Breast Cancer Foundation Pink 2 3/4" #8's for grouse. The empties sure show up nice.

cwf

FirePower
08-24-2011, 10:35 AM
I usually go Kent With a drab of Black cloud.
But Jim has me wanting to try the Remmies due to cost factor. And Long Shot jr Had started me thinkin it.

I also like the Kents but that damn Foxton should be on Remington's payroll he has me wanting to try the 1550s as well. We'll see.

Livewire322
08-24-2011, 03:15 PM
target loads or what ever else is on sale...
oh wait... steel shot only, i forgot... i will be using 3'' 12gauge with steel #3

Foxton Gundogs
08-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Remington's payroll THANKS guys. Just come from WS was there to pivk up some broadheads fot 2 morrow but THAT is another story. Thought I would get some of my favs Rem 1550s WAIT A MINUTE WTF They are up $5 a box well guys who told them to add my commision to the shell price lol. I still swear by them BUT WTFX2 Kents are down $4 a box so maybe I'll give them a shot(no pun intended) you cant put a price on sucess but If the results are the same will patern the P350 with the Kents and see. BTW no Winchester stack&packs there.

longshot
08-27-2011, 08:59 AM
We stuck with Federal Speed Shok Steel in 3" #2 1550fps for the whole season last year. Ducks, geese, whatever, it brought them all down. Cheap, consistent, good internals, good wad, had pellets that actually were all the same size, and paterned great through the 870 from the 20-30 yard range.

Those cheap Remingtons though sure packed a helluva punch though! We used some 2 seasons ago and holy crap! Right at sun up, we'd blind ourselves from the huge a$$ flame coming out the barrel. I was thinking about getting a few boxes of their 3-1/2" BBB for those 30-40 yard ganders. Nice thing about these again was the fact that they are cheap, consistent, good internals, good pellets, and worked with the gun... I worn you know though, recoil might be an issue ;)

Nice thing too is where we get our shells from, both Remington and Federal are cheaper than the POS Xperts, haha ;)

Foxton Gundogs
08-27-2011, 09:51 AM
We stuck with Federal Speed Shok Steel in 3" #2 1550fps for the whole season last year. Ducks, geese, whatever, it brought them all down. Cheap, consistent, good internals, good wad, had pellets that actually were all the same size, and paterned great through the 870 from the 20-30 yard range.

Those cheap Remingtons though sure packed a helluva punch though! We used some 2 seasons ago and holy crap! Right at sun up, we'd blind ourselves from the huge a$$ flame coming out the barrel. I was thinking about getting a few boxes of their 3-1/2" BBB for those 30-40 yard ganders. Nice thing about these again was the fact that they are cheap, consistent, good internals, good pellets, and worked with the gun... I worn you know though, recoil might be an issue ;)

Nice thing too is where we get our shells from, both Remington and Federal are cheaper than the POS Xperts, haha ;)

OK LS would you care to share that inf. I am all curfumped(is that a word) at "having" to give up my 1550 but $5 a box has me all POed and WS isnt on my goodguy list for a number of reasons right now.

Foxton Gundogs
09-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Might as well be playing the Dow Jones, went in to WS today to pick up some Kents to try tomorrow and lo and behold Kents were up in price $3 and Remmy 1550s back down $4. Needless to say I grabed some but getting so you can't tell from min. to min. anyway you potential "converts" get in and grab some who knows how much they will be next week LMFatAO

dad8x
09-02-2011, 04:31 PM
I tried the Remington Hypersonic's last year. Loved them. Cabelas in Edmonton has them at a reasonable price too.

duck stamp
09-08-2011, 07:46 AM
I will be doing the same as last season Hevi-metal 12ga 3" #3 with a (MOD) Kitts High flyer choke Deadly combo.

FirePower
09-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Might as well be playing the Dow Jones, went in to WS today to pick up some Kents to try tomorrow and lo and behold Kents were up in price $3 and Remmy 1550s back down $4. Needless to say I grabed some but getting so you can't tell from min. to min. anyway you potential "converts" get in and grab some who knows how much they will be next week LMFatAO

OK Foxton you have a convert, maybe for sure, I picked up some Remington 1550fps $12.95 a box for 3" BBs and #2s and just got back from paterning 2 guns. Both Mod. choke and both threw a very impressive and dense patern. Now to see how the kill.

duck stamp
09-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Hevi-Metal 12Ga 3" #3 with a Kitts High Flyer (MOD) for ducks over decoys.