PDA

View Full Version : Prince Rupert coho's??

bcriverhunter
08-22-2011, 12:17 AM
hi all...the wife and i are going to rupert for 7 days of fishing..sept1-8th!....without giving away your secret spots, any help on where to fish out in the chuck?....we will be sleeping in the baot at the marina!.....hali spots would be great too:mrgreen:..thanks larry

Kalum
08-22-2011, 06:19 AM
My hali spots are tradable for elk locations:)
Coho are thick out there right now and that's a good time of the year for the bigger Northern's! Here's the a couple places to check out.
-If it's your frst time in the area then two spots just outside Porposie harbor that are quick and easy to get the gear and boat dialed in: Kinihan Isaland, north west point around the kelp beds for coho. The bay is good for the occasional crab and just south of the area is Greentop which is a quick and easy hali spot at that time of year though need a slow tide.
-Head south to Humpback bay on North end of Porcher island. Staging area before finaly headed back up.
-Other good spots are Eddy Pass, Squaterie (sp?), Beaver rocks, Triple rocks, etc... Lots of great water! For that time of year though I'd recomend going up to Work Channel. There's a lodge up there you can moor at and ton's of easy fishing to be had.
Have fun!

bcriverhunter
08-22-2011, 07:10 PM
thanks kalum!!....wife and i took the new boat out there for 2 weeks in july, so yes, i do know all those areas!!....we cuuaght 5-10 lb coho then and the pinks were thick by the top of stepens island, but no springs!...next year- i hope?......we cuaght a small hali ,too south east of lucy!...............well, thats good news, was also considering kitimat area, but have never fished out of there!.......so, should i use herring cut plug/anchovies?...i also have hootchies(which i have never tried yet)......well, thank you...you got the juices flowing!!! larry in pg:-D

ps...we will be moving to terrace in 3 years(cant wait)
pss,,,,,i have never shot an elk, so cant help you there!!!:confused:

Kalum
08-22-2011, 08:35 PM
No worries. I prefer anchovy with teaser heads but with coho if they're in the area and are on the bite it really doesn't matter. Army truck or purple haze hoochie with matching flasher seems to work fairly well according to the father in law, who landed a late season 34lb spring at eddy pass yesterday. Late fish, Weird year for nookie.
I'm just headed down south for a couple of weeks but let me know when you're in the area and if I'm around I'll come point some areas out on the charts for you:)

Kitimat's a little slow at that time of year but there's some nice hot springs that make the run down channel worth while both at Eurpoa as well as at Bishop Bay. i If you head down to Bishop stop at fish trap, it's a well known hali spot. Gotta catch the slack cause it really rips there. I like fishing the flats on the south east side and have done well. A less known hali hole is just to the east of fish trap directlu across from Monkey Beach (Haisla cabin in the bay). There's a couple of mounds you'll see on the chart that always seem to hold one or two bigger hali.
Lots of ocean to prowl around out there but I'd really recomend a trip up to Work Channel and the top end of Dundas.