PDA

View Full Version : Moose Hunting Tips and Suggestions?

Ben Fougere
08-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Hi guys and gals,

I'm looking for tips and suggestions to hunting moose. We have a bull draw for Oct 15th in 5-2. I haven't hunted moose a lot and was wondering what areas I should be looking to hunt around that time of the year. Will the moose be up in the mountains/hills or down in the swamps and lower clearcuts? Will they be in the rut at this time?

Even better, if there is anyone that knows 5-2, do you have any leads to which areas I should be starting to look for a bull?

Also, which clearcuts would be considered worth hunting? I suspect those with just enough browse but not too much where you can't see them, but what would be a good height to start at?

Should we be checking lakes in the morning, afternoon or night?

Thanks in Advance.

cameron0518
08-22-2011, 12:37 AM
WOW! I have the gps coordinates where the record book moose will be standing.

srupp
08-22-2011, 03:05 AM
wiley send me a PM with what zone of 5:02 you have and a ph # and I will give ya a call..

steven

moose will still be in rut..dont worry about the browse..they are still rutted up..thinking sex not grub..and start in the early am...and go till dark...

srr

markt308
08-22-2011, 09:41 AM
sounds like srupp has got you covered! They can be down in the valleys or way up high still at that time of year. get out there at least half hour before daylight. Good luck

KB90
08-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Since your from Quesnel, I would assume it's 5-2D.

Nyland Lake/Maude Lake area is where I'd be hunting.

08-22-2011, 10:08 AM
what part of 5-02?
bring as much rope as you can and a block! remember they are big and heavy so watch out how far away from a road you are walking.

4 point
08-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Your not kidding 835! A lot of moose newbies have no idea if their lucky enough to get one to the ground what to expect or what to do with it. Add a long way from the truck and well the fun begins! I remember my first one, heck we had a tough time even trying to gut it. But that was many years ago and I am smarter now, I think.

elkdom
08-22-2011, 10:39 AM
pretend you are looking for REALLY Big ditch-chickens, drive through clear cuts,,, done deal,,,

08-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Your not kidding 835! A lot of moose newbies have no idea if their lucky enough to get one to the ground what to expect or what to do with it. Add a long way from the truck and well the fun begins! I remember my first one, heck we had a tough time even trying to gut it. But that was many years ago and I am smarter now, I think.

Isnt that a fun learning Curve! though.

Bring string in your pack to tie the hoves apart to make gutting them easier.
small folding saw as well. You can use 2 hatchets to quarter them. Place one hatchet touching the Brisket and hit it with the other. This is a sinch and the hatchets are only 4lbs for the pair.

Thought the best way to go about it is to learn to call. Go to a clandestine cutblock you can get your truck to if you have to and sit and call them to you. Shoot them close and pull them whole with your truck..... Bring Chains, the world can go to goose shit over night!

ratherbefishin
08-22-2011, 12:05 PM
rule#1-always hunt UPHILL,don't even LOOK downhill
But seriously- a lot of guys hunt cutblocks-I was told to look for a dead end road with lots of brush either side and adjacent to a swamp and set up there.The moose will likely travel from a feeding area to where they bed down.A long shot will be 50 yards

jaken187
09-01-2011, 11:27 PM
I also have a moose for 5-2D but mine is for Sept 10th. First Moose hunt for me and I don't know the area. If anyone wants to share some other tips it would be much appreciated. Also a good butcher or freezer would be great to know.