PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Question

Ghillie
08-21-2011, 05:02 PM
So this is my second year hunting and Im intrigued by sheep and goats and alpine hunting etc. etc.
But I have a question to all you sheep hunters out there ...
What species are considered Thinhorn, and what species are considered Bighorn? And what may be the differences in these two categories of sheep?
Ive done some studying and researching the past few hours and the google machine and wiki is confusing me with using Ovis dalli dalli or Ovis dalli stonei:???:
If someone could clear this up and help me understand the differences I would greatly appreciate it

~Ghillie

Weatherby Fan
08-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Well there are many opinions on this but Rocky Mountain Bighorn and Desert Bighorn are big horns and Dall and Stones ar Thinhorns,California's are classed as bighorns in BC but not recognised elsewhere,thats the hunters slang for the the quick and dirty on sheep.
I'm sure there will be many opinions on this !
WF

bighornbob
08-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Well there are many opinions on this but Rocky Mountain Bighorn and Desert Bighorn are big horns and Dall and Stones ar Thinhorns,California's are classed as bighorns in BC but not recognised elsewhere,thats the hunters slang for the the quick and dirty on sheep.
I'm sure there will be many opinions on this !
WF

Actually california's are classed as bighorns everywhere. They are a sub-species of the bighorns.
For record keeping (like the Boone and Crockett) they are just bighorns but BC recognizes them as a sperate species for record keeping.

Bhb

08-21-2011, 09:47 PM
The Reg's are quite clear about it here in BC.

CT

dutchie
08-21-2011, 09:59 PM
go to the Wild Sheep Societies website.

While you are there make sure that you become a member and come to the convention this year! It is a great time and all the money goes to keeping the seep on the mountains of BC! AND we have the North West Sheep and Goat Council Symposium the week before! it will shed a lot of light on sheep and goats and there will be guest speakers from all around the world coming to speak!

Dutchie

Caveman
08-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Nice Pitch Dutchie!! But seriously a great time and educational if you can take in the sessions, that and a chance to sit down with the odd sheep hunter and chat. They are "Odd" by the way. LOL!!

Ghillie
08-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys that clears things up!