PDA

View Full Version : solar camper lights

ratherbefishin
08-20-2011, 09:26 PM
I picked up 2 solar powered [westinghouse solaire] outdoor lights from Canadian Tire[$25]for the outside of my camper-they have 3 LED bulbs and are the spotlight type that you can direct the beam to light up pathways or stairs

I cut a couple of pieces of white PVC about 3'' long, cut a quarter out of them so they could grip the tube that normally goes in the ground and screwed them onto the camper.Mounting them this way means the lights can be snapped in place or taken off and stored inside and because I used the tube,can be swiveled around to direct the beam.I mounted one right beside the door so it can light up the back of the camper and the stairs ,and one on the corner so it can light up either the back or swivel around to light up the side

They don't give as much light as a regular battery powered light-but they give enough to illuminate the back of the camper and the stairs-which is what I wanted.No batteries to drain either...no wiring to install and for $25 I figure its good value.Light is always good...and even in a campground,lighting up the door and surrounding area where your stuff is is a deterant to thieving,pretty cheap insurance

ratherbefishin
08-22-2011, 07:35 AM
I've got the solar spot lights on the camper now-charged them up all day as per instructions to get a full ''memory''battery charge and then checked them out after dark-they light up the back of the camper area and stairs nicely -precisely what I wanted.Because they are clipped in place with the PVC pipe clamps I can easily remove them and take them inside when not in use or when I'm driving.

They don't provide a lot of light-but enough to see where I'm going and a heck of a lot better than coming back to the truck in the pitch black dark and stumbling around for the stairs [or when I get up and go outside at 2am]