PDA

View Full Version : New Puppy Tips??

08-20-2011, 02:25 PM
I just bought a new puppy. It's a female Standard Poodle coming out of Alberta. My wife's cousin is bringing it on Thursday. Any tips on surviving the first few weeks with the new pup??

bcbrez
08-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Get a folding kennel a get it used to it.

.300wsm
08-20-2011, 03:36 PM
pig ears !!!!

Steeleco
08-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Ear plugs!!!

The crate is the only way to go, just don't get into the habit of putting the dog in there when it's bad, the dog will soon learn to not like it.

Bow Walker
08-20-2011, 03:48 PM
After you feed it - go right outside with it so it can pee/poop.

When it wakes up from a nap - go right outside with it so it can pee/poop.

After you play with it for a while - go right outside with it so it can pee/poop.

When it's time for bed - go right outside with it so it can pee/poop.

As soon as it gets up in the morning - go right outside with it so it can pee/poop.

Several times per day - go outside with it so it can pee/poop.

Within a week to ten days - viola! A fully house-trained puppy.

Oh yeah, get it to "speak" (bark) before you go outside with it.

FirePower
08-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Ear plugs!!!

The crate is the only way to go, just don't get into the habit of putting the dog in there when it's bad, the dog will soon learn to not like it.

After you feed it - go right outside with it so it can pee/poop.

When it wakes up from a nap - go right outside with it so it can pee/poop.

After you play with it for a while - go right outside with it so it can pee/poop.

When it's time for bed - go right outside with it so it can pee/poop.

As soon as it gets up in the morning - go right outside with it so it can pee/poop.

Several times per day - go outside with it so it can pee/poop.

Within a week to ten days - viola! A fully house-trained puppy.

Oh yeah, get it to "speak" (bark) before you go outside with it.

Both great peices of info combine them and you have a winning combo. Use a small crate to start or block off part of a big one so it is their sleeping place not a play pen an the will be reluctant to mess in it.then straight outside every time you let them out of it.. The bark at the door is a good thing I have also seen a bell hung from the door work they can be taught to ring it, Good Luck have fun.

Jagermeister
08-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Get your puppy one of these pussys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kb8pycDp2Y&feature=related

Kasomor
08-21-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm almost finished reading this awesome book. " The Focused Puppy" A Training System for Raising a Great Companion & Performance Dog
http://dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DEG966

This book was published in 2010 so is full of current information on what/ how to teach your pup in the first year. It's a great beginning whether your pup is "just" a pet or if you have hopes of competeing with pup in any sport.

I'm going to include this book with my puppy package in the future.... it is that good.

srupp
08-21-2011, 10:30 PM
great advice...when ya put the puppy at the kennel say 'go kennel" as the puppy is placed at the entrance with a bit of a help in... gets the pup used to going into kennel..the kennel should be a place of comfort and saftey..not a punishment..

agree with the not pooping in their bed..they will try and tell you they need to go potty..LISTEN and trust them..keep their sleeping area just big enough to lay down..
dont let them get used to jumping up..very hard to break..

when you take em out to potty use ONE spot..not the lawn..a patch of ground or sand..and no playing its not a game..itell them go potty ..or whatever you say if they havnt gone in under 1 minute back inside in theior kennel..in 10 minutes try again...its potty time not play time..when they ask to go out..its buisness time.. not play time...praise them when the do good...

get them used to sitting when they meet strangers sitting puupies dont jump...

Steven

srupp
08-21-2011, 10:41 PM
the secret to training puppies is ................ repetition................

steven

mjmbc
08-22-2011, 02:27 AM
tic tock alarm clock in thier bed helps em sleep aswell just remeber not to set the alarm

Foxton Gundogs
08-22-2011, 08:15 AM
the secret to training puppies is ................ repetition................

steven

Whole bunch of great advice for you here but whatever route you go remember Steven's......repitition and consistancy is the key to all sucessful training. Good luck and above all have fun.

MooseWhacker
08-22-2011, 01:33 PM
I think the biggest mistake people make is not starting training right away.A dog is a pack aminal and is leaving his old pack for a new one when you bring him home.The pup will want to fit in and join his new pack do not loose this advantage start training him as soon as he walks through the door remain consistant with him and make sure he knows the pack rules.Its a lot easier than trying to correct problems latter because someone let the new cute little pup walk all over them.

MillBay
08-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Repetition and Consistant between both you and your wife.
Not one of you going "Foxy come"
and the other going "Foxy come Foxy, come over here Foxy..Foxy...FOXY..you come here"

Funny thats my dogs name. ;)

madrona sh
08-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Socialize your pup, Get him used to crowds, construction noises, other dogs and cat's etc.

Foxton Gundogs
08-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Repetition and Consistant between both you and your wife.
Not one of you going "Foxy come"
and the other going "Foxy come Foxy, come over here Foxy..Foxy...FOXY..you come here"

Funny thats my dogs name. ;)

Again a big YEP...1 command then correct or you end up with a multi command dog.