PDA

View Full Version : Multi use hunting vehicles

fuzzy
08-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Just as the title says, what do you guys find the best for multi use hunting, fishing, camping and gasp......... daily driving.

I currently have a quad cab 09 toyota tacoma, that i find is nice around town but lacks when it comes driving the gravel and i just dont really trust it for strength. It isnt great on fuel and it also has an absolutley pitiful payload.

I also have a 86lwb samurai on 35s, toyota axles that is geared and locked f\r.This has not been driving in a couple of years is in rough\fair condition but is going back on the rd for this falls moose hunt. This vehicle is miserable to drive long distances on pavement but absolutley shines on rougher roads, old skidder trails, soft ground and snow covered fsr.

As i am typing this i am thinking that i should selll the tacoma and get some type of diesel full size and enjoy the best of both worlds.

what are your guys thoughts and experiences

fuzzy

Nathaniel Poe
08-20-2011, 09:15 AM
I always thought the Toyota Tacos were pretty good for off road, but never owned one myself. What's wrong with yours? You think it will bust apart off road?

Maybe the answer is a trailer. Tow the samurai to the dirt road and then go nuts! LOL! Might work out to be a cheaper and better solution, but I am just guessing! good luck!

500grhollowpoint
08-20-2011, 10:07 AM
I have a one ton and the $ for maintenance is way higher than it's worth. And it's a pig on fuel. Great off road though and gobs and gobs of power and a ton of clearance. Loud though so not so good for getting to those waaay in spots....

TikkaMOA
08-20-2011, 10:24 AM
A forever lasting question. I had an 01 Tacoma 4cyl manual, passed it on to my brother as I had to move up to a larger work truck. As far as off road capability (not FSRs but skid trails, creek beds etc) I found it was a mule. As for payload and rough FSRs, I agree, I found it too light. So now, quad in the box of my Dodge Diesel 3500, and offload short of the trails so I don't beat the truck up. Not much help I know, but I faced your dilemma for years. Good luck.

ryanb
08-20-2011, 10:36 AM
I have an '05 Tacoma with 120,000 clicks of bumping, bashing, thrashing and towing. Completely stock except for a canopy and some BFG all terrains. Has never let me down and nothing has broken yet. Fuel economy blows for a compact pickup.

fuzzy
08-20-2011, 11:08 AM
that is the thing i think the taco would be great in the non crew cab version.as it sits it is the same length as a short box crew cab dodge 3500. there is no way i will tow the samurai with the taco especially if the truck is loaded for a weekend + of hunting or fishing. As it sits i get major brake fade comin down the Coq and am bouncing of the bumpstops and this makes me nervous.

I leaning towards a used dodge 3500 crew cab short box with a 5.9 and rebuild the samurai for the tooling around town and bush bashing. I have little interest in quads.

fuzzy

RayHill
08-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Just as the title says, what do you guys find the best for multi use hunting, fishing, camping and gasp......... daily driving.

I currently have a quad cab 09 toyota tacoma, that i find is nice around town but lacks when it comes driving the gravel and i just dont really trust it for strength. It isnt great on fuel and it also has an absolutley pitiful payload.

I also have a 86lwb samurai on 35s, toyota axles that is geared and locked f\r.This has not been driving in a couple of years is in rough\fair condition but is going back on the rd for this falls moose hunt. This vehicle is miserable to drive long distances on pavement but absolutley shines on rougher roads, old skidder trails, soft ground and snow covered fsr.

As i am typing this i am thinking that i should selll the tacoma and get some type of diesel full size and enjoy the best of both worlds.

what are your guys thoughts and experiences

fuzzy

Did you buy the Samurai a little over a two years ago from a guy in Mission? If so I know that truck, and it is bad ass off road. SR-2200 Engine, Toyota under carriage, Four Runner wheels, locked difs front and back?

tuffteddyb
08-20-2011, 11:58 AM
i have a 1 ton that i use for a pull vehicle and load the quad in the back of it,then load the camper and the suzuki samuria on the trailer.
works great for me.

nature girl
08-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Well you already have the samurai maybe put a little money into that and get a roof top carrier for some of your crap. If one will fit on the roof.
You buy a new or used truck you probably dont want to spend all that money and get it scatched to sh@t.
Or put some money into putting a lift and bigger tires on your tacoma and a winch.

troutseeker
08-20-2011, 01:03 PM
I have a 2000 extended cab Chev 1500 with the mid=sized engine. Still lot's of power, not too bad on gas. It's my do everything vehicle. I can even set up a cot under the canopy and sleep there! Carries my 12 foot aluminium boat on top and lot's of room for stuff in the box.

hillclimber
08-20-2011, 02:45 PM
fuzzy your best bet is to get a fullsize and tow the sammi into the bush and start driving it. The good thing about the sammi compared to the quad is that if you reach a highway or public road you can keep going (as long as its insured) I think thats a win win if you ask me.

I like my 83 toyota the only thing i would add is a winch in the front and some better tires.

bcbrez
08-20-2011, 03:04 PM
The Samurai is great off road. Goes almost anywhere a quad will but it sucks for long drives and yoou can't fit enough in it for camping. My 79 Bronco is great for everything. It's has a good ride on and off road, nice short wheel base, lots of room, and can haul a trailer. Love my bronco.

Squamch
08-20-2011, 06:27 PM
22re that Zuki and drive it for hunting. Keep the taco and drive it the rest of the time.
I just got an 89 xtra cab I'm gonna SAS and build a drivable wheeler That's good on fuel...or so I hope...or it might turn into another exo'd truggy'd trailer rig if I loose control of myself.

WaderGator
08-20-2011, 06:50 PM
I've seen a VW TDI swap on a sammy before. Not sure what kind of power you'd be getting out of it but you'd get the fuel mileage youre looking for. swap in a diesel and tow it to the bush

rec
08-20-2011, 09:17 PM
I have a 2500 06 Dodge Quad Cab diesel put 25,000 Km pulling my travel trailer across Canada and 15,000 Km last year Yukon and Alaska no problems at all here I load the Quad and where I don't go with the truck the quad goes good on fuel and very confortable best truck ever had

Squamch
08-21-2011, 06:53 AM
I've seen a VW TDI swap on a sammy before. Not sure what kind of power you'd be getting out of it but you'd get the fuel mileage youre looking for. swap in a diesel and tow it to the bush

You can buy kits to jam a turbo deez vw motor into a Zuki, and they work great, cause unlike alot of small diesels, thy rev....but vw parts ain't cheap. Seriously though, a 22re will require new motor mounts, a high pressure fuel pump like a Holley red, and a bit of dickin about with the pin out's on the computer, but all that info is available on pirate4x4. Lots of good info out there. But if you need to get rid of the Zuki, let me know. I'm sure my wife will allow another derelict truck.
I don't know why people keep saying tow it...with a repower you should be able to drive it and your gear whereever ya like. Hell, all the engines suggested can pass aircare, so why not drive the damn thing? Stock Sami 1.3l is 67hp factory, a newish 22re is around 140, even a twin cam 16v 1.6L out of a swift will change things for you. Or turbo your old tired 1.3 and give'r. Your tired old motor with low compression will respond will to a low amOunt of boost.

bearhunter338-06
08-21-2011, 07:12 AM
I have a 1993 Chevy Tracker, bought it of a fellow member here. My son-in law has given me his 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 to use. I would like to install a tow bar and winch on the Tracker. I also have a little utility trailer to pull behind the Tracker. I think I should be set for what ever hunting I want to do this year. Now I need some volunteers to drag my animals out of the bush for me.

Blainer
08-21-2011, 07:25 AM
HOME & AWAY

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_0389.jpg (javascript:;)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_0438.jpg (javascript:;)

Squamch
08-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Blainer...nice first gen, and do I have a deal for you...there's a guy up in courtenay who has a first gen xtra cab conversion kit, made by Winnebago in the early 80's. He needs to get rid of it, it comes with seats, windows, even an interior rollbar...for free! My wife said it would make the grade for too much useless crap in the yard, but I can't stand seeing it go to a dump...want his contact info? Same for anyone else with a first gen toy...

fuzzy
08-21-2011, 08:50 AM
hey guys

Thanks for the advice. My wife and I have been talking about it and it seems she wants me to clean up the samurai to be her "little putt putt" to drive around town and to work. She only drives 5 min to work so this works out great. This will happen after hunting season. In another year or two i think we will be looking for a fullsize crew cab diesel of some sort with a canopy and roof rack so that she can sleep off the ground and secure when she comes out with me and i can throw the boat on top and tow the samarai behind if desired.

I live in the Lower Mainland and have zero desire to drive any further than 5 hrs on the highway with the samurai. I daily drove a samurai on 35s for almost 7 years. It will get re-powered but i think i will potentially get the 2.0 kit from trail tough and call it good. I know i could put a full toyota drive train in but if its only getting drivin around town and flat towed on the long hauls i want to keep the weight down for ease of towing, flotation on snow and swampy stuff and also to keep my from breaking any more birfield joints or other drive train parts.

still open to suggestions......

thanks

fuzzy

Gun Dog
08-21-2011, 09:09 AM
My favorite all-round vehicle was a 2nd generation Dodge Ram Quad Cab short box 4x4. Not too big. Lot of ground clearance. Goes anywhere. I had a 1/2T which was easy to drive but had a limited payload (1,100# after fuel & driver). If it was a 3/4T (bigger frame, brakes and payload) I'd still have it. Now I have a 1T Diesel Dually (excellent with my camper) but the front end is so heavy (the Cummins adds 700#) that it'll get sink in soft ground. So I have a quad for cruising around.

Mark_S
08-21-2011, 10:21 AM
This year I'm running a 94 Jeep YJ. So far I still like my old 94 Tracker better but rust destroyed the Tracker.

hillclimber
08-21-2011, 11:47 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_0438.jpg (javascript:;)

Looks like mine except yours looks likea short box. Just wondering what kind of winch setup you have. Looks like a plate welded/bolted to the frame?

Blainer...nice first gen, and do I have a deal for you...there's a guy up in courtenay who has a first gen xtra cab conversion kit, made by Winnebago in the early 80's. He needs to get rid of it, it comes with seats, windows, even an interior rollbar...for free! My wife said it would make the grade for too much useless crap in the yard, but I can't stand seeing it go to a dump...want his contact info? Same for anyone else with a first gen toy...

Damn I would take it but the timing isn't right. Tell the guy in courtney to put an add on bc4x4 and it'll get snatched up pretty quick

mud-dog27
08-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Looks like mine except yours looks likea short box. Just wondering what kind of winch setup you have. Looks like a plate welded/bolted to the frame?

its just a cheap little 3000Lbs superwinch for pulling animals and such, in the picture its on a receiver hitch plate that the previous owner setup, piece of 2" square tube welded to a plate then to the front frame cross brace......its now mounted on an 80's WARN bush bumper......ill have to take some updated pics this week when i have it out for brakes as we have changed a fair bit of stuff on it

and yea it was originally a short box SR5, but looks even shorter as the flat bed doesnt run as far past the end of the frame as the box would have

landphil
08-21-2011, 10:52 PM
As for the rear suspension in your Tacoma, the Firestone Ride-Rite air bag kit is a great solution to the wimpy rear springs in these trucks. I expect you have the 4 leaf rear springs in your '09, my '06 has the 3 leaf springs but with 15 psi in the air bags it worked like a dream with my 12' boat up top and the box stacked with a weekend's worth of camping and fishing gear, probably getting close to max legal GVW. It would have been bouncing off the bump stops with half the weight before. Still rides great empty with 5 psi minimum pressure too. The kit cost is in the low $300's if you find a competitve supplier.

I'm not too sure what you mean by nasty brake fade though, I find the brakes to be exceptional on these trucks. Mind you my theory is that brakes are there in case you need them, and downshift instead.

RoverHound
08-21-2011, 11:12 PM
I've got a 96 land rover defender quad cab pick up with a 4 cylinder diesel. Absolute beast off road, never let me down and incredible fuel efficiency. Got from North Van to Creston on 1 tank. Not the fastest truck in the world though.

emerson
08-22-2011, 09:57 AM
2500 HD CC chev duramax with a Cognito front end cranked up about 2", Firestone Air bags in the rear, Rancho 9k adjustable shocks, and 255/85R16 Toyo M55 tires. A little extra height keeps it off the top of the ruts and small water bars on old FSRs, it rides and hauls smooth and strong on the highway with room for 2 child seats and gear inside. My BIL has an aging jeep that will be perfect for hunting but not so great for the highway.

4 point
08-22-2011, 10:35 AM
My 1999 Jeep Cherokee gets me to where I want to go.

taylor1
08-22-2011, 10:53 AM
i have a 2005 gmc sierra heavy half z71 package, exct cab shortbox with a headahce rack and 33's all terrains and a 3 inch lift, the truck will go anywhere i ask it and then th eplaces i dont want to take it. thats the only problem is its nice enough to not want me to beat the piss out of it in creekbeds and skid trails. but i alos have a quad i carry in the back. so when the going gets somewhat tough i switch to that and then you can give er. the 5.3 in the sierras and silverados are great have lots of popwer and get good milage. the truck itself is comfortable and reliable. and stock its the queitest thing i havent heard. its crazy. with th headahce rack i can carry the quad but put my canoe or 12 foot aluminum over the quad and in the box. it works slick but thats just my set up.

madrona sh
08-22-2011, 12:18 PM
1994 GMC 2500 extra cab 4x4 5.7 V8. Lots of power and I trust it for some reason. I hate having a truck that nags you in the back of your mind. As in will it make it?

ohotnik
08-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Just decided to buy 06 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel) as this little truck fulfills all the requirements of the city dwelling hunter:

Good fuel economy - 10-11 l/100km city, 7-8 Hwy.
Good everyday city driver - easy to park, manuver, fuel economy, comfort etc.
Incredible torque/towing - up to 7000 lbs (I can put all my staff in the trailer and go up north)
Very Good 4x4 capabilities
Comfort - it is Limited model with all the bells and whistles.
Short based
Sits 5 if needed.
Sturdy body and Benz engine
Very upgradable (lift, winch, skids, bigger wheels, steel bumpers - anything readily available and relatively unexpensive)
Relatively cheap (not more than an old zuki with swapped diesel engine)

The only cons - it is Chryisler and there are some questions about dependability, reliability and customer support...
I wish Toyota had something like this.

Squamch
08-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Crew cab taco?
Any landcruiser?
Lots of toyotas fit your requirements...just buy a 2wd Toyota, same offroad capabilities as a fiat liberty.

mud-dog27
08-25-2011, 07:56 PM
@ squamch just what i was gunna say toyota has plenty of diesles that fit those requirements , @ ohotnik keep in mind the libby is IFS which is anything but inexpensive to lift.....but if ya already bought it i guess that little detail doesnt matter

Ozone
08-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Best reason for a diesel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr8eEWyKQHM

fuzzy
08-25-2011, 09:28 PM
Yikes i have had water pouring in over the tailgate of my sammis, but that is just nuts.

fuzzy

Andrewh
08-25-2011, 11:54 PM
this is mine that I built over the last 2 years.

47 jeep willys - 2.4L turbo diesel and drivetrain out of a toyota...locked front and rear etc...

mud-dog27
08-26-2011, 07:34 PM
damn nice work on that old willys, and here is what blainer's huntin rig looks like as of today
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showgallery.php?ppuser=1774&username=mud-dog27

fuzzy
08-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Hey andrew

I met you on the canopener many moons ago, i think you were rockin a jeep with fullsize stuff, and i was in a SWB samurai on 35s with square(gay) headlights......... ahhh the good ole days.

fuzzy

Squamch
08-29-2011, 06:53 AM
Swb zuk with 35's?! Back in the day...so about 12" lift and 6 daylighters?
I got a 22re for my new rig last week...gotta buy a dual adapter and swap my 36" tsl's for some 33-35" street friendly tires...new wrangler mtr's maybe?

riflebuilder
08-29-2011, 07:35 AM
I just got a 1968 land Rover series IIA 109 and a military trailer as my hunting rig. not a lot of power on the highway but it will go anywhere a quad will with a lot more stuff.:mrgreen:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1040523.JPG

RoverHound
08-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Nice on rifle builder! I know a guy who has one just like that in North Van, or maybe had? Here's my rover.
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l540/robsbowman/Copy2ofhunting045.jpg
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l540/robsbowman/Picture005.jpg

brock77
08-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Nice on rifle builder! I know a guy who has one just like that in North Van, or maybe had? Here's my rover.
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l540/robsbowman/Copy2ofhunting045.jpg
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l540/robsbowman/Picture005.jpg

nice rig roverhound what year is it, i just got an 88 4 runner, will be getting a rover like this next.

RoverHound
08-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks Brock77, its a 96.

rattle e 6speed
09-03-2011, 12:47 PM
I think that anytime you try to do 2 things at once, you leave something on the table. A purpose built trail rig towed by a diesel truck is truely the best of both worlds. I drive a Duramax Crewcab which I bought new 220,000kms ago. Great truck with lots of power, good fuel economy, and way more comfortable than a Dodge (which is what I traded in so I know what they are like). I take it hunting, but don't like climbing into it coverded in blood and mud.

I'm looking to buy a Sami right now. I say fix the Sami, and buy a bigger truck to tow it with. Use the Sami as the trailer and get the best of both worlds.

fuzzy
09-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the replies, i think i am decided on gettting a towrig and keeping the samurai. I now have to agonize over which truck to buy, I will hopefully be getting one in time for next hunting season. I now need to figure out which fullsize to buy. It seems that most of the new ones get crappy mileage and cost waayyyyyyyy to much. I would want something 10 years old or newer........

fuzzy

Squamch
09-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Trailer rigs are good if you want to wheel hard. If you want to go camping in some places a stPCM truck won't take you, forget the towrig/trailrig idea, it's way too much hassle. I'm taking my trailer rig apart and building a driveable truck instead. Don't get wrapped up and convinced you need a separate truck for the bush. The idea of a trailer is you can beat it till it breaks, and not worry about driving it home...but if you're not snapping tcases in half on the regular...why not just drive it there?

fuzzy
09-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I am thinkin that the samurai will be used as my wifes daily driver, she has a 5 min commute and I would drive the fullsize to work. I will just flat tow the samurai. The samurai will be fully street legalish;) and used for day or weekend hunts close to the lowermainland as well as some mild wheeling like Eagle Ridge.For example i like to go to Tunkwa with my dad in Nov and there is no way i will drive my samurai that far in the winter but i would have no problem draggin the samurai up there and then using that to hunt from. In october we have a moose draw for 5-12a and my friend is towing it up with his super doodey, once again there is no way i am driving my samurai that far and there is also no way i could fit all my gear for a comfy 10 day moose hunt. I am past my days of wanting to beat the piss out of my truck just for the sake of making it up some obscure trail...... damn im sounding old........

fuzzy

Gun Dog
09-05-2011, 08:44 AM
I am thinkin that the samurai will be used as my wifes daily driver, she has a 5 min commute and I would drive the fullsize to work. I will just flat tow the samurai. The samurai will be fully street legalish;) I'm sure that will make your wife very happy. :) If you're around Vancouver then you need AirCare which the stock Sammy engine won't pass. The carb wears out and you can't buy a replacement.

BlackwaterMerc
09-05-2011, 08:24 PM
I got a 07 Nissan frontier, definitly not stock, and goes anywhere, otherwise, stock there a little low. but great new trucks! tons of power for its V6.

steelheadSABO
09-05-2011, 08:30 PM
The best multi use hunting vehicle would have to be a unimog.
This year hopefully i'll be using the Dodge it's an 87 power ram 250 with dana 60's 318 4 speed and 37" goodyear military oz's

Legi0n
09-05-2011, 09:23 PM
IMO the Wranglers are the thing you're looking for.
Good off-road capabilities yet decent on the highway. Lots of accessories.

ElectricDyck
09-05-2011, 09:57 PM
My Land Cruiser is pretty slow towing the little trailer, but it fits the whole family, gets 19mpg, and is pretty reliable on and off road.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_0778-1.jpg

David
09-07-2011, 04:28 PM
My opinion with my friends isn't always the most popular, but here it goes:

I used to have a samurai geared & locked - sold it and used the proceeds to buy a quad. I miss it because it was a fun vehicle to drive, especially in summer, but it was NEVER a "quad with a heater". My quad goes places that samurai could never hope to go. I also got rid of the Toyota - great running gear, rusty pig-on-fuel otherwise.

I realized that both those vehicles were just really attempts at getting a jack-of-all trades vehicle: and there just isn't one. Now I drive a full size diesel with a quad in the back. My only complaint is solid axles SUCK on forest service roads. Anytime I'm just running only a FSR for a hike etc. I take the family's Grand Vitara with IRS.

Me.

greenhorn
09-08-2011, 01:23 AM
Sorry if you already ruled this out, but I'd get a quad and a trailer. Your new fullsize could tow the trailer/quad, leaving the box open for all the other junk (camper, boats, whatever).

riflebuilder
09-08-2011, 04:47 AM
I like my 1968 Land Rover 109, not fast but will go anywhere a sane or insane person wants to take it.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1040523.JPG

SimilkameenSlayer
09-08-2011, 06:46 AM
my toyota land cruiser is great for reliable off road travel.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb69/Goldboy_bucket/P9280036-1.jpg