PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Game cart

Backcountry archer
08-18-2011, 09:23 PM
I searched old threads, but could not find anything related to this so thought I would ask you guys.

Have any of you made your own game/deer carts? These are the two wheeled fold down carts to help haul out your game.
If so, can you post some pictures? Dimensions would be great as well.
Thanks in advance

rocksteady
08-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Here is one that I bought from Cabelas....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ameristep174-300-lb-Steel-Deer-Cart/847365.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dgame%2Bcart%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=game+cart&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

After I used it a couple times, I found that the cart was too low (at the end of the handles) to be comfortable when using. So I grabbed some tube steel and bent some extensions and welded them on each end....Extended them about 20" or so...I also took some lightweight expanded metal (grating) and welded it on top of the cross members, so that when I put a critter on there, that nothing will fall through (like legs) and get tangled up in the undercarriage...

I tried to locate the solid rubber tires locally, no luck whatsoever..

You can get wheels for $50 from the site or $69 for the whole cart...Not a hard decision...

Was delivered to my door in 3 days or less and I thinnk they charged me $20 for shipping...

I can post some pics of how I amended my cart on the weekend if you are interested...

BCKID
08-19-2011, 08:33 AM
These ones were at the Hunting & Fising show in Abbotsford. Local guys.
http://www.sasquatchfabrications.com/

fearnodeer
08-19-2011, 08:53 AM
These ones were at the Hunting & Fising show in Abbotsford. Local guys.

Did not list any prices on this website anyone know ?

BCKID
08-19-2011, 08:55 AM

I think they were $225.00 the last time I saw them.

Backcountry archer
08-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Did not list any prices on this website anyone know ?

Found the price. $220.00 before shipping. Looks like a real good product though.

GRIZZEZE
08-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Found the price. $220.00 before shipping. Looks like a real good product though.

That how much mine was, I have put it through absolute torture with no problems. Very well built

jhackler
08-19-2011, 02:44 PM
I searched old threads, but could not find anything related to this so thought I would ask you guys.

Have any of you made your own game/deer carts? These are the two wheeled fold down carts to help haul out your game.
If so, can you post some pictures? Dimensions would be great as well.
Thanks in advance

I have seen an article on a homemade one in the backwoodsman magazine by Charlie Richie. If I recall correctly, it used an old aluminum ladder and "other stuff". I will try and find the article if you are interested, although the one for $69 looks like a good deal with the improvements suggested.

redthorn
08-19-2011, 08:23 PM
I'll have to dig up some pics, but my Brother made on that collapses down really small, but unfolds to have wheelbarrow style handls and it has a brake on the wheel to prevent downhill runaways. you can use it like a wheelbarrow by hand, or fold it down and use it as a trailer on your bike.

Vossie
08-19-2011, 09:03 PM
The Sasquatch cart is the best. With the wheels mounting on the outside there is no center axle, this way you have a lot of ground clearance. If you are handy with steel and welding and have lots of time you can build it. You need to keep all your beans together since there are some complex angles that needs to come together in one point. And for wheels I agree its hard to find then cheap, ended up buying two old kids bikes at the second hand sports store for $5 each (entire bike) to use the 16" front wheels.

Backcountry archer
08-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Here is one that I bought from Cabelas....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ameristep174-300-lb-Steel-Deer-Cart/847365.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dgame%2Bcart%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=game+cart&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

You can get wheels for $50 from the site or $69 for the whole cart...Not a hard decision...

Was delivered to my door in 3 days or less and I thinnk they charged me $20 for shipping...

I can post some pics of how I amended my cart on the weekend if you are interested...

I took a look at the one for $69 @ Cabelas States side, and delivered to me would be $111.75. That is still a pretty good price.
I can't seem to find the same cart here at Cabelas.ca ???

I went ahead and ordered some Aluminum HSS to build my own, but would still like some more ideas and sizes. The wheel guards are a good idea.

Backcountry archer
08-23-2011, 07:13 PM
I just picked up my aluminum today. $70 bucks for two lengths of square tubing. We'll see what this project ends up costing me when I'm done................ouch!