PDA

View Full Version : Guy Scotts New Zeland Hunt Pics ( Guy will fill in the stories )

Wild Images
08-18-2011, 11:09 AM
He is still out there :-D
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/Guy3.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/Guy1.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/Guy4.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/Guy2.jpg

Wild Images
08-18-2011, 11:11 AM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/Guy5.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/Guy9.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/Guy8.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/Guy7.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/Guy6.jpg

The Hermit
08-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Love to get me a Thar one day.

sheephunterab
08-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Very nice...congrats! That is one good looking hog.

Gateholio
08-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Great pics!

Weatherby Fan
08-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Awesome photos and animals,a friend of mine has a full mount Thar and it looks outstanding !
Thanks for sharing
WF

ThinAir
08-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Wow! I'd call that a successful hunt! Your gonna be a rich man with all that work coming?!:)

Stone Sheep Steve
08-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Congrats Guy!!
Hope we can all enjoy so-called "retirement" like you are!!!

Glad to see you're still pounding the mtns!

SSS

forest walker
08-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Great hunt!!

tuffteddyb
08-22-2011, 12:09 PM
awesome pics!
they all great but i really like the boar one.
thanxs for sharing!

d6dan
08-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Good pics, that 1st red stag is a beauty!..thanks for sharing...

Guy Scott
08-25-2011, 10:03 PM
The first time I went to New Zealand was three years ago. We have lots of friends there so there are many places to visit. We did some salt water fishing for snapper which is one of the top game fish in N.Z. My wife got the largest one after a good battle. We hooked a few stingrays, they would drag the boat around for awhile till we cut them loose. I pulled one up for a look and it went ballistic trying to run that stinger into the side of the boat. I should have cut the tail off and kept it. One friend had a new Robinson 44 and was doing a lot of culling runs at a big sheep station near Blenheim so of course I had to give him a bit of help. We took off from Nelson one morning and flew over to the station headquarters and left the lefthand door on the ground and went out to eliminate some goats and pigs. I had a civilian AK with a red dot and after an hour had shot fifty goats and a handfull of pigs. Not much hunting involved but a new experience and the farmer was happy. With the goats gone he will raise more sheep. Later, while visiting near Dunedin with some friends with pig dogs and an ongoing contract to eliminate pigs on a big sheep station there we were at it again. I shot any pigs that got out ahead of the dogs in the open country and stuck the ones that the dogs bailed up. I didn't get any big pigs on that trip. The pigs cause a lot of trouble on the sheep stations, they eat the lamb afterbirths and when those are gone they start killing lambs. A bad boar will only eat the stomach from a lamb just to get the milk. No mercy on these pigs. Next time I will tell you about this years trip...Guy

ianwuzhere
08-25-2011, 10:09 PM
ahh i love the stags- wish we had them here in bc.. looks like such an awesome place to hunt- hey it kinda looks like bc hehe...
thanx for postin the pix- beautiful animals...!

Guy Scott
08-27-2011, 03:46 PM
This years trip to New Zealand had us arrive there March 25. Nonstop Vancouver to Auckland and transfer down to Nelson and picked up by friends, then off partying and visiting for a few days to shed the jetlag. I had lined up a Turkey hunt over in the Aretrey River at the same sheep station where I did the goat and pig culling last trip. The Turkey hunting was spot and stalk and was a great start to the trip. Three of us went in for Turkeys and we only took three each allthough we could have taken lots more. Some of them were really old dinosaurs with huge feet and good beards. I brought home some good tails and beards. I boned out every one of the Turkeys and we made a good stew when we got home and had lots left for the freezer. The farmer had an old rail car turned into a B and B for us to stay in. We hiked over into one canyon where he said there would be goats and we culled a bunch for him. He was pretty happy about that and insisted we sample some good single malt with him before we left.
I left my wife to visit with friends and I drove down the West Coast to Haast and then inland to Wanaka arriving April fourth. Here I met up with my good friend and outfitter Stacey Anderson. Stacey and I had a plan to bust some big animals and travel and develope a business partnership over the next few weeks. Stacey and I met at the Grand Slam Club/Ovis show in Las Vegas a few years ago when we both had show booths there. I now do all North American Booking for Trophy Hunting Wanaka. Stacey is the man to hunt with on the South Island, he doesn't believe in anyone flying halfway round the world and not getting what they came for. His prices can't be beat and you will do your hunting the right way....on foot. Timing is important in New Zealand because different animals rutt at different times and you will want to get your Fallow especially before he is far into his rutt and breaks up his horns badly. More of this years trip tomorrow...Guy

Guy Scott
08-30-2011, 11:08 AM
The big Fallow with the moon in the background was taken pretty much at the end of my hunt about April fifteenth. I shot him almost at last light after a long and fast stalk, at first we didn't think we would be able to get close enough but the stag helped us out quite a bit. I finally got a shot off the Bog-pod at 386 yards. This Fallow was now well into his rut and has broken his main beam and his back point on one side. The broken points knock the score back quite a bit on this stag and he still scores 203 4/8. Minimum for Fallow Stag is 150. So broken points and all he is still an exceptional stag. The Fallow in the second photo was taken on the first day, before the rut started and when the stags were still bunched up. It is harder to hunt them then because there are so many together and they will pull out at any sign of danger. This stag has no broken points and I am getting all the rest of these trophies scored tomorrow morning so will find out then if it is as good as the last day stag. I will get Ken to mount some of these animals for me. I am making a big pedestal to accomodate the Chamois, Thar and one of the Fallows and I will put the big Boar skull on there as well. The pedestal is the forked burley top of a yellow cedar and will be really cool when it is finished.
The Boar in the next photo is a real dandy. Stacey said he is one of the top Boars he has taken in the last ten years. I killed four Boars that day, each one was eventually bailed up by the dogs and then we tipped them up and I stuck each one. This is extremely dangerous and we had a real battle with the one in this photo especially due to his size. I weigh 225 and this Boar was a hell of a lot heavier than me. At one point near the end he had shaken the dogs off and we were just about on top of him in prickle bush and speargrass and Stacey grabbed him by the tail then two dogs hit him on the right neck and ear and the pig quickley crowhopped around to his left and crashed right into my legs. I was screwed, he could have rooted me easily and it would have been really bad, those tusks were just inches from the fun parts. We got him tipped up shortly after that and I stuck him fast. This was the third one that day and be damned if we didn't get another good Boar shortly after on the way out. The G.P.S. tracker on the dog collars said the dogs had covered close to thirty miles that day. Those dogs don't range out very far so I guess we probably walked at least twelve to fourteen miles through a lot of trackless prickly steep ground....One of the best hunting days I ever had. Hand to hand combat with big Boars is great....anyboby can shoot them but getting big Boars this way even gets me a bit excited. That Boar is definately one of my best New Zealand trophies.
I shot three big Red Stags on this trip and I will get the best two scored tomorrow and then will tell those stories...Guy

whitetailsheds
08-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Great stuff Guy! Thanks for sharing it!

Opinionated Ol Phart
08-31-2011, 04:18 PM
Brings back memories of my trip to NZ 3 yrs ago. My wife and I stayed here... http://www.gobush.co.nz/ and I got into some serious wild trout fishing. One afternoon I went on a "tramp" with one of the owners to see if we could connect with some fresh meat---- they saw us first, and it was the first time I ever had a stag BARK at us to let the others know that man was in the forest!!!!
Not my pig in this photo, but it was taken with a bow just after we departed. http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj412/Batbreath/dannyspig.jpg

But I guess the most entertaining is running down the piggies and sticking them!!!! Got to be tough for that!!!

Guy Scott
08-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Just as I was getting loaded up to head over to Fred Pringle's to get the rest of these horns scored today Fred called and said to bring back the Fallow Stag that he measured the other day because he wanted to measure the palm width differently. Because the palms taper out at the back you can measure across the widest point and that makes some diference to the total score. Now that Fallow Stag scores 215 2/8. Nice when they gain a bit!! That Fallow would have scored quite a bit more if he was taken on the first day before the rut started. The other Fallow was taken on the first day and has not damaged his horns and scores 215 0/8. Don't know which one to mount now?
Early on the first day at Wanaka we were off looking for a good Red Stag that was on a private land block over on Mt. Pisa. The Pisa block is about six square miles and is high fenced. We spotted the big stag first thing and had to really hustle on foot up the mountain to try and get ahead of him. As we got within about five hundred yards he bedded in some brush and we got in close for a good shot at three hundred and twenty yards but there was brush in the way so the wait was on. While we waited another smaller stag about a 9x9 came down the ridge and circled the big stag and then charged in on him. He was up in a flash and they had a great battle for over a minute with the big stag getting pinned upside down and losing the fight. The smaller stag took off uphill to the hinds and I put a thirtymag through the big stags neck. No more fighting for him. He has eleven points on each side and scores 332 0/8. The mass is tremendous on this stag but only the bottom three circumferences are counted. This was the only animal I took on the Mt.Pisa block.
Next day Stacey and I were up real early and heading back to Haast on the West Coast and then north to meet up with James Scott for a quick drop-off flight up the Karangaroa River to get Chamois and Thar. The country is very rough, nothing like our sheep mountains. The N.Z. mountains are young mountains and for the most part have never been glaciated so there were many holes and cracks to fall into if you were not watching where you put your feet. Apparently these mountains are still rising a meter a year. First place we were dropped was just at the snowline and the wind really messed us up. We saw Chamois that we couldn't access and Thar that we didn't want so when James came by about a day later we moved five miles over to a diferent spot. We set up camp quickly and had a feed and picked our way through some treacherous boulders over into the Karangaroa Valley. Quickly we spotted some good Chamois a long way down the mountain and decided to go for them knowing we would be lucky to get back that day. On the way down we found a dandy buck Chamois off to our left and watched it for awhile. It is great to have the opportunity to spend time with animals that we don't have here in Canada. That is the Chamois in the photos. He is a good one and makes the book by several inches and saved a lot of walking that day. On the photo with me standing behind the Chamois, that is Mt. Cook and the Cook Glacier in the background. Southern Alps N.Z. I had Chamois venison on my first trip to N.Z. and it is one of the best venison's you can eat. We saved every bit of this one too.
Later the same day after the Chamois was taken care of there was still time to look for a Thar before dark. We went the other way and after some really tough going got close to a big fault running right from the top to the bottom of the mountain. Before we got there I had a feeling something was going to happen soon and told Stacey that I would be shooting a big Thar from a certain rock that was still a few hundred yards away. Stacey figured I was full of it till we got over to that rock and here was " the Thar of a lifetime" Stacey's words...poking around eating and doing Thar stuff 310 yards away. We watched it for awhile and Stacey said " you'll never see a better one so you better give it to him" No argument from me, the Bog-pod made it an easy shot as usual and the Thar fell into an icy little creek where he stayed for fourty-five hours. We couldn't get one foot closer to him because of the deep fault in the mountain so back to camp we went, arriving after dark but not falling in any holes. James was due back next day and we would use the Hughes 500 to go and gather up the huge Thar. At camp we had a few whiskeys and Stacey was still trying to figure if I was psychic or not. Next morning everything below us was fogged in solid and we layed around and got sunburned all day. The Thar was in the creek down in the fog so it was just fine too. Stacey has flown with James hundreds of times and he said James would be here next morning fog or no fog. Sure as hell it wasn't even daylight and here was James to pick us up. The fog was still really thick and we were loaded and off to find the Thar. We had the long strop hanging under the chopper and Stacey would slide down and hook it up when we found it. Only we couldn't find it in the fog. We were flying at walking speed for the longest time, it was very hard to see anything and we were only thirty feet off the cliffs so off we went back to James' house. James figured the fog would break up in about four or five hours so off Stacey and I went up to Fox Glacier Village to visit with some friends and have a shower and a feed. Four hours later we were in the air again and found the Thar no problem, Stacey was down that line and hooked up the Thar and James lifted it over to a spot where Stacey could climb back in and we flew over to a ridge and put it down so that we could get some photos then back to James Scott's house in about fifteen minutes. It was fourty-five hours from the time I snapped that Thar until we picked him up with the Hughes. He was ice cold except for the crotch area and his cape was fine. The Thar is fourteen years old and his long side is thirteen and a half inches. Stacey had never seen or heard of a fourteen year old Thar before. S.C.I. minimum is 37, he scores 41 7/8. Stacey and I headed back to Wanaka that afternoon, making plans to shoot another Fallow Stag and another Red Stag in the following days.....More to come...Guy

Guy Scott
09-06-2011, 10:21 PM
We got back to Wanaka safe and sound and headed out for Wild Boars the next day and had a great time as I told in a previous story. Then the following day we headed back into the Cardrona Block to look for another Red Stag and another Fallow. We looked at a big wide eight by nine Red Stag that was taller and wider than the big one I got on the first day but it was early in the day so we kept moving over to look at another heavy old stag we had spotted. I passed on that one and while we kept on spotting, the chocolate horned Red Stag in the photo above was moving closer all the time. We had spotted him earlier and didn't realize how good he was. Now he had moved much closer and I knew I would be happy with this animal for my second Red Stag. The Bog-pod was used again and down went the stag at 265 yards. It was a good call as this stag was also eleven by twelve and scores almost 323 points. The big stag from the first day ended up scoring 332 points. We got the chocolate stag taken care of and walked up on another nice Fallow on the way out. He gave us the slip but we came back later that day and the Fallows were now in the rut and we spotted quite a few good ones including the one in the first photo. He was a mile off and we didn't have time to get over to him and all of a sudden he rapidly came a lot closer to run off another Fallow that had a bunch of hinds. We hurried down half a mile and then stalked uphill keeping a bushey pine between us until we ran out of cover. It was a long shot at allmost 400 yards and getting pretty dark as well. There was still enough light for some good photos when we got to him.
I also shot a management Red Stag that day, it is a fairly big 9x9 that had broken his skull fighting. His entire pedestal and the skull around it with the right side horn still attached was hanging straight down to the ground. He walked down the mountain to the bottom of the valley and just stood there looking really sick. I paid a bit for him and knocked him over to put him out of his misery. When we skinned out his head there was about a three inch hole right through to his brain. I epoxied the skull back together once my shipment got here. I wonder what Ken will think of my taxidermy work?? Apparently there is no Selenium in the soil in New Zealand and the skulls seem very light compared to North American game. The cores on the Tahr are paper thin compared to N.A. sheep or goat cores. Stacey said they often see Red Stags with thier skulls broken the same as the one I took. That was a lot of action for one day. More to come another day soon....Guy

Guy Scott
09-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Really Good News....I have secured a donation of a guided hunt from Stacey Anderson of Wanaka Hunting Safaris. This hunt is donated to the Wild Sheep Society Of B.C. and will be auctioned off at the W.S.S.B.C. 2012 Fundraiser at the Kamloops Town Lodge, March 16-17, 2012.
It will be a four day Chamois or Fallow hunt. The highest bidder can choose which trophy.
Included in the four day hunt will be trophy fees, daily rates, one guide per hunter, field preparation of trophy, all airport transfers, lodgings, meals and drinks etc.
With the Alpine Chamois hunt we need to use a helicopter to access the hunting area--This will be an EXTRA cost of approx. $1000-$1400 U.S.
This is a great opportunity for anyone who has been thinking about going to New Zealand. You will be able to upgrade this hunt to include any or all of the above N.Z. trophys at a really great price. Check out our website www.trophyhuntingwanaka.com (http://www.trophyhuntingwanaka.com)

I am heading off hunting now and will be glad to answer any questions about this donation when I return...Guy

MOG
10-07-2011, 05:49 AM
Nice work, love the Karangarua area, hunted there last year what a place. The west coast should be on every hunters bucket list! Love the Tahr and Fallow.

Regards,